OT: The world is saved by Jerry Brown...

OT: The world is saved by Jerry Brown...

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | Liberalism: Religion for the Simple-Minded

I guess they'll have to eat tofu-cow now. Or maybe some sort of butt-mounted catalytic converter. Visualize that!

Reply to
JW

I understand they're going to pipe it to Berkeley and call it the "new high" >:-} ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

DEMOCRAT

The Party of Sexual Deviants, COP Haters, College Students with Phenomenal Ignorance, and Unions Covering for Bad Teachers

Guess that would be a Cattle-lytic converter... :-)

Reply to
Bill Martin

On Wed, 21 Sep 2016 16:11:41 -0700 Bill Martin wrote in Message id: :

:) Awww... How did I miss that one? [grumble]

Reply to
JW

Yes but that's because your internet is delivered over a piece of wet string connected to a assemblage of tin cans FFS.

--
Cheers,
Chris.

*INSTANT* response: Connection Interrupted

The document contains no data.

The network link was interrupted while negotiating a connection. Please try again.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Most of the methane is emitted from their mouths, not from their butts.

And while methane is a significant pollutant and greenhouse gas (it's something like 30 times as bad as CO2 by weight), cows are not the biggest source of methane, and methane is not the biggest environmental problem with cows.

The biggest methane emitters are termites, along with natural rotting vegetation. Another source that should worry people are melting permafrost.

Cows are a massive environmental problem - but their methane emission pales in comparison to burning down rainforests to farm them (or to grow soya for their feed), as well as the environmental costs for everything involved - growing food for cows means transport, fertilizer, land use, etc.

It is certainly possible to capture /some/ of the methane generated by cows (or more precisely, from their fermenting manure) - it is practical and cost-effective in many countries, because the methane is a useful gas and can be burned for heat or power.

As is often the case, this article looks like a politician that is trying to get public appeal by being "green". Most politicians, and most of the public, completely fail to look at the big picture when considering the environment - it's easy to grab headlines and votes by suggesting a tax on cow farts, but far harder to suggest people eat meal-worms instead of beef.

Reply to
David Brown

Are you still running Windows 98 ?>:-} ...Jim Thompson

I thought I remember him "upgrading" to Win2K

Reply to
JW

Baer has more link trouble than anyone here. You'd think he would learn by now. ...Jim Thompson