OT: T-5 fluorescent light output

I had read that the T-5 tubes are very efficient. Something close to 2x what a T-12 produces. So, I picked one up for the shop, to replace the single T-12 I use. I don't see 2x the output, but it has a warm bulb. I think it's a 3000k warm bath bulb, that awful brownish light. Anyway, has anyone used the T-5 bulbs? Are they really brighter?

With out changing to a cool white bulb I really don't see a marketable difference in light output.

Cute little fixture tho. You can find more info on T-5's here...

Martin Riddle

I put in some T-8's recently, replacing T-12's. The 25W 4-foot 2,500 lumen 85 CRI Philips T-8s I got at The Home Despot are darn near as bright the 40W T-12s they replaced, last 30,000 hours, and the light quality is very good.

Per your link, it looks like the T-8 and T-5 are about equally efficient, but T-8's better where it's colder (my shop's about 5=BAC right now).

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

I think I'll bit the bullet and pick up a Cool white T-5 bulb. I have a feeling that will make a big difference.

Thanks

Reply to
Martin Riddle

Output varies widely between tube types, and its not primarily down to CCT, though its a factor.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

You really can't lose--I think my bulbs were roughly double, ~$4-5 a piece, but they save $15 each in energy a year, and last 50% longer too.

I must say I do_not_like cool white--it looks sickly blue to me--but it does put out a few more lumens if you don't mind the color. My lamps have a Color Rendering Index of 85 and still manage 100 lumens/ watt, so I'm golden.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

What is really "cool" is switching one of those bulbs being lit via ballast, to a constant current (50V max) supply and see it glow; with brilliance adjustable by that current. Naturally, the voltage drop will be about 32V, the ionozationpotential of Hg.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Interesting, Some of these ballasts are Dimmable too. You have to make sure you get the right ballast.

I hung the 30w 3000k T-5 fixture last night. And it is brighter than the T-12. But it?s a hard light, perhaps why they put a 3000k bulb in there. Definitely needs a diffuser of some sort. Maybe I should have picked out two 10w fixtures. There is more light out of a smaller point source (t-5's are about 1/2" in Diameter) as opposed to a T-12. So looking in the direction of the fixture is hard on the eyes.

Martin Riddle