OT: Swedish Elections

The Swedish Democrats are projected to get 20% of the vote today, but polls world-wide consistently underestimate the numbers of right-of- centre voters who often feel embarrassed by the pollsters and claim to be left-of-centre voters with 'Liberal' voting intentions. Not long to wait to find out!

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Who cares how the gullible 20% votes?

Cursitor Doom obviously - he's been gullible from way back - but so far his half-witted faction hasn't been numerous enough to do any real damage.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Read "The Great Revolt" by Zito and Todd.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

Trump tweeted:

"'The Great Revolt; by Salena Zito and Brad Todd does much to tell the story of our great Election victory. The Forgotten Men & Women are forgotten no longer!"

Never seen a car or truck around here with a Trump sticker on it that didn't cost more than mine, must suck to have the dough for a Benz GLC and still think you've been forgotten about. Money well spent!

Reply to
bitrex

The danger in the UK is that the newly politicised masses will fail to get what they've been promised, and may then turn to the extremists that promise to get the trains running on time (etc).

It is not clear whether the sensible centre will be able to overcome their difference to prevent that.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Democracy is such an ugly thing. ...at least from the elite's perspective.

Reply to
krw

What do I owe a pollster? If I'm in a good mood, I won't shut their foot in the door and just lie to them.

So I take it that you're not going to learn something.

Exactly Zito and Todd's point. You live in a bubble.

Reply to
krw

A great many of those so-called "conflicts" are nothing more than family disagreements!

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

But a lot more people died than the squabbling families. Most wars in history have been family disputes.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

But that list contains a *lot* of silly stuff like the Asturian miners' strike which can hardly be described as a european conflict!

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

When people end up dead, it stops being any kind of "family disagreement".

The problem is more that certain groups rejected being lumped into a larger "family". The Basques rejected the idea of being Spanish, the Irish Republ ican Army didn't fancy being British, and Serbs and Croats in former Yugosl avia rejected the idea of being Yugoslavs.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

It was a conflict,and it happened in Europe. Franco used warships, artillery and Moorish troops to end the up-rising. Two thousand people ended up dead.

It might have been a foolish gesture, but Franco took it seriously.

Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to
bill.sloman

There's precedent in US history for what happens when disgruntled citizens take up arms against the government, what does the US government do?

It sends in military aircraft to strafe, bomb and strike them with chemical weapons naturally:

Reply to
bitrex

That is to say if a group of armed and rebellious US citizens in the

21st century actually posed a credible threat to the Federal government their towns and homes would be nerve-gassed by aircraft. Little doubt about it.
Reply to
bitrex

I couldn't believe it. Having the audacity to prevent the rightfully elected leader of the US from carrying out the duties the voters expected him to do - and boasting about it! That really takes some chutzpah.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

By "rightfully elected" Cursitor Doom means that Trump squeaked in by virtu e of lot of fake social media posts made by Russian - right-wing - trolls o n Facebook and the like.

The problem with Trump is that he is not carrying out the duties the voters expected him to carry out when they put him in the White House, which was to restore the US economy to the status quo ante and get them their jobs ba ck, but rather unilaterally abrogating international treaties because he do esn't like them, which isn't what anybody elected him to do.

Cursitor Doom is a superficial twit, and he hasn't noticed that Trump is a truly incompetent and ineffectual president and the US needs to get shot of him as quickly as it can, albeit by constitutional means.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Watching deeply paranoid schizophrenics leap at shadows, look under beds, and investigate Wheel of Fortune to discern the hidden whispers of conspiracy encoded on the board by Vanna White would be somewhat amusing. If it weren't so sad. :(

Reply to
bitrex

That was some time ago. The world on general used to be a lot more brutal than it is now. There were some ugly strikes in Britain too.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

US strike-busters tended to be armed and members private strike-breaking businesses. In most places, the local police were responsible for maintaining order, and rather fewer people ended up dead or maimed.

Since then US firms have become more subtle, and concentrating on getting union officials elected who could easily be bribed or otherwise influenced.

The US has never been a union-friendly country, and when I was working the UK it was well known that US-owned firms would go to ridiculous lengths to avoid having to recognise trade unions or having to negotiate with trade union representatives.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

True.

However it has to be said that the two US firms I've worked for (HP and Cambridge Consultants / Arthur D Little) were excellent places to work.

At HP the legend was that the union reps were invited to look around, and then said something to the effect that "I wish we could get all this for our members" - and left. Certainly I never heard a whisper that anyone wanted to be a union member.

However, I'm pretty sure they were atypically enlightened US corporations!

Reply to
Tom Gardner