OT: Stop Climate Change... NBC: Believers should stop having children...

Who needs children when you can fill your life with engineers?

Uh oh. Someone soil diaper.

Reply to
bitrex

You had a bad childhood(?), and don't want to put someone else through that. That makes sense.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

"I'll never grow up, I'll never grow up!"* (Beats fists on table.) Now my kids are older they don't play with me as much. I wonder how long I'll have to wait for grand-kids? Life is the journey, if you're not having fun along the way, what's the point?

George H.

*I like to slide down banisters, the building we work in only has one 'good' banister.
Reply to
George Herold

I have yet to figure out why leftists are so bitter. Is it their general inadequacy, mental and physical?

The SIG, below, says it all.. ...Jim Thompson

Liberalism: A haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy.

        (Twisting a Quotation Originally from H.L. Mencken)

Bitrex lives in Roxbury, Massa2shits. It is not necessary to say anything else. ...Jim Thompson

     It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

Ah, but you have it wrong, Jim, for me:

Liberalism: A haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be unhappy.

Hence the desire for reasonable gun controls (really, who needs an assault rifle??), health insurance (do we not want to help our fellow humans?), etc.

H.L. Mencken originally said (your sig) that comment about Puritans, hardly models of liberal thought were they!

John

Reply to
John Robertson

Who's bitter? My present is far better than my past was, I have friends and family that I like and respect and vice versa, and I'm fortunate enough to have had the opportunity to play a (small) role in the greatest profession in the world. I'm fairly satisfied, on average - lots of people out there in much worse shape.

Some days are better than others; most people feel depressed and bitter from time to time and other times not so much. That's kinda how life is, I don't recall signing any contract saying it would be any different

Reply to
bitrex

Happy is is happy does - men who are happy usually don't take the effort to call others "cretins", "idiots", and other fashions of goo-goo-ga-ga talk. It's not worth the time or effort. Certainly not worth mine.

Reply to
bitrex

Not an unusual thing to happen, sad to say. The best way at least from a personal perspective to avoid staying bitter about it is to recognize that's the case. One unpleasant childhood among millions - many a lot worse.

Reply to
bitrex

rote:

e:

e a

rt

electronics.

"conservative", which seems to be uncritically accepting any kind of nonsen se as long as it is published on a right-wing web-site, "gullible" might be closer to what is actually going on.

s around.

o do, but a more rational ambition might have been to breed kids who could think for themselves. Jim probably wouldn't see any advantage in that, even if he had the genetic endowment to make it possible - he does seem to have been endowed with a bit too much of the tendency pull the forelock and agr ee with whoever looks as though they are in power.

anybody who felt free to do joined up thinking about politicians.

Sadly, Jim isn't an idiot. He just can't do critical thinking, and can't re cognise when he is being fed nonsense. He trusts authority figures, and acc epts the wrong figures as "authorities" - Trump and Joe Arpaio are the priz e examples.

It's a mind-set which makes for a stable society - a corrupt and inefficien t society which could work a whole lot better (which pretty much describes the US at the moment). They tend to get competed into the ground by societi es that work better. China has a different set of problems and could also w ork rather better, but it is bigger than the US, so the next couple of deca des will be interesting.

Europe is mostly better organised within countries, but getting the countri es working together in a coherent way is taking a while.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

ave a

part

for

..

of

an,

had

I wonder why Jim thinks that people who are ore left-wing than him are "bi tter". They are unkind about the nonsense he posts, but that is intellectua l integrity - something that is entirely outside his comprehension.

The original quote was

"Puritanism is the haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy."

and it was a joke. Liberalism is - technically - an enthusiasm for free tra de, but Americans use the word to mean anybody who isn't definitely right-w ing.

By and large, politics isn't about happiness, and the distinction between r ight-wing Americans and the rest the country is mostly the idea that the go vernment can do useful stuff outside of running the army, the police and th e law courts - services that mean more to the rich than the rest of the com munity, so the rich are willing to pay some taxes to keep those services wo rking, but really don't want to pay for services like universal education a nd health care that they can buy for themselves and their kids (and - if un iversally available - act to diminish the benefit the rich can buy for thei r kids by buying them good education and health care).

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Compared with - at least - Northern Europe - the United States look like ra bbit people. US life expectancy is lower than Northern Europe's and average US educational attainment isn't impressive either. It's Germany - not the US - that leads the world on tertiary training for its work force.

More attractive than one populated by Jim's offspring - though to be fair t o them, we only see them from Jim's distorted point of view.

Reply to
bill.sloman

What the rich have not learned (they seem a bit slow about this) is that all the great advances of the 20th and 21st century came about as people were better educated and in better health.

Who knows where we would end up with universal health care, no assault rifles in private hands, and a fully educated populace?

Probably with colonies on the moon and mars by now...

John

Reply to
John Robertson

Ten metres of sea level rise might do it. Jim Thompson might not notice even that, but John Larkin probably would.

An all-time record inundation in Texas clearly wasn't enough.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Sure, but that doesn't make it any less suckie. I had a real nice childhood etc. Kids are great, IMHO. Sure there's some issues, and I'm a grumpy old man, far from the ideal dad. But kids are resilient, and all individuals. If they turn out great, you shouldn't slap yourself on the back too hard. And don't beat yourself up over the less than good ones. Well both my kids are pretty good... in a Dad's opinion. :^)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

We've had a lot of cats over the years. None have ignored us (one just settled down next to me).

Kids are a lot of fun but grandkids are even better.

Reply to
krw

Horseshit.

All leftists think they're better than everyone else. It's part of the package.

The planet is just fine, though leftists have been trying to end it for some time.

Reply to
krw

+1
Reply to
krw

Move to one of them, and let us know how you like it.

Reply to
Michael A Terrell

apart

ght

which

do all

esn't

r a

A detailed and well-expounded argument, as we have come to expect from krw.

Most people think they are better than krw. They are right.

Krw has generalised from limited experience, with limited understanding, an d has come to the wrong conclusion (as usual).

This all depends on whether you have enough sense to appreciate the evidenc e for anthropogenic global warming. Most rightists don't (if the sample tha t posts here is representative) and have the idea that changes in the way w e work that are required to limit anthropogenic global warming will actuall y damage the planet.

Krw's understanding is even more defective than the average right-winger, s o he may have some other idea of a way in which "leftists" might be trying to "end" the planet. He wouldn't be able to explain his thinking (or whatev er he does instead of thinking) so it's waste of time wondering about it.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to