OT: Statins Health Warning

Gentlemen,

I thought I should post this in case it affects anyone here. You won't read this kind of thing in 2-bit rags like the WaPo or the NYT for obvious reasons. This item comes from the world's greatest newspaper so should be taken extremely seriously.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Statins have side effects - like every other drug. Not everybody gets them, and doctors do watch out for them.

Irresponsible click-bait peddlers like the Sunday Express does tend to publ ish alarmist nonsense, and gullible twits like Cursitor Doom take them seri ously.

My family history is full of clogged up coronary arteries, but I started ta king statins more than ten years ago. My younger brother didn't start as ea rly, and need a quadrupole by-pass in 2010 at which point my coronary arter ies got checked over before I got my new aortic valve, and one had a 30% na rrowing (which didn't need any kind of treatment - not even a stent). My yo ungest brother is a medico and has been taking stains for years, and seems to be obstruction free.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Why the hell would statins be prescribed "to patients at low risk of heart disease"? This article makes no sense, unless they're being given to everyone. ...and they aren't. They did just the opposite for me (held off prescribing them until the damage was done).

Reply to
krw

20+ years ago I was put on statins... within 3 months I had the muscle problems... found the research (it even existed back then)... told the doc, "Shove it"... never taken statins since ;-) ...Jim Thompson
 Click to see the full signature

Very wise, Jim. Clearly you don't read the total *crap* 'news' sources like the WaPo, the NYT or Bill Sloman's favourite: Snopes.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Muscle problems (tissue destruction, actually) are *the* most common side effect of statins. Doctors are always on the lookout for it. This has been known since they came out. Why is anyone surprised?

Reply to
krw

Slowman is a PNA (*) troll, like several others on SED.

(*) PNA = pompous narcissistic asshole. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Ah, yes. Like Jasen Betts. He's another one.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

You're catching up >:-} Wasn't Jasen in my killfile? ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Cursitor Doom's idea of "total crap" in news sources is much the same as Jim Thompson's - he doesn't like sources that tell him stuff that he doesn't want to hear, even when it happens to be correct.

Snopes does have habit of pointing out that Cursitor Doom's favourite "news stories" are right-wing inventions, which is to say lies, and he finds that particularly galling.

A more constructive reaction would be to change his news sources, but Cursitor Doom is hopelessly addicted to the nonsense that make him feel good.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Funny. When I characterise Jim Thompson, I put more emphasis on the fact that he's out of touch with reality. His character defects - while obvious - aren't what make him a menace.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

People who have the nerve to disagree with Cursitor Doom's and Jim Thompson's silly ideas aren't popular with either of them.

It's a lot easier to write them off as people with character defects that it is to think about what they are saying, and a lot easier on the ego.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Can't quite recall, Jim. A bloody good candidate for one, anyway.