OT: So you think you know how this ends....

Received in the email:

---------------------------- So you think you know how this ends.... One day a farmer's donkey fell down into a well. The animal cried piteously for hours as the farmer tried to figure out what to do. Finally, he decided the animal was old, and the well needed to be covered up anyway; it just wasn't worth it to retrieve the donkey. He invited all his neighbors to come over and help him. They all grabbed a shovel and began to shovel dirt into the well. At first, the donkey realized what was happening and cried horribly. Then, to everyone's amazement he quieted down. A few shovel loads later, the farmer finally looked down the well. He was astonished at what he saw. With each shovel full of dirt that hit its back, the donkey would shake it off and take a step up. The farmer's neighbors continued to shovel dirt on top of the animal, and the donkey would shake it off and take a step up. Pretty soon, everyone was amazed as the donkey stepped up over the edge of the well and happily trotted off! Life is going to shovel dirt on you, all kinds of dirt. The trick to getting out of the well is to shake it off and take a step up. Each of our troubles is a steppingstone. We can get out of the deepest wells just by not stopping, never giving up! Shake it off and take a step up. Remember the five simple rules to be happy: Free your heart from hatred - Forgive. Free your mind from worries - Most never happen. Live simply and appreciate what you have. Give more. Expect less NOW ..... Enough of that crap. The donkey later came back, and bit the farmer who had tried to bury him. The gash from the bite got infected and the farmer eventually died in agony from septic shock. MORAL FROM TODAY'S LESSON: When you do something wrong, and try to cover your ass, it always comes back to bite you.

----------------------------

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Inspiring story, especially the ending ha ha ha.

Now tell us a story that involves a donkey and lemons.....

Seriously though, I had not heard the story and it is actually inspiring. I will have to make a minor adjustment for where I work by replacing the dirt with dung but it should work.

Reply to
Claude

What did the farmer do wrong?

Reply to
Richard Henry

Should have taken his gun and somehow humanely shot the donkey before burying it. Then it wouldn't have come back to bite him. :-|

Mind you, the rest of the users of the well would have something to say to him about the strange taste of the well water flavoured with dead donkey. So it's perhaps good news that the animal lived to bite him :-)

--
Adrian C
Reply to

Presumably, trying to bury the donkey alive was rather unkind.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Hey - it all starts and ends with poo:

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Unless it was Eeyore?

Paul

Reply to
Paul E. Schoen

See, I don't believe that- there would've been someone there important enough to have a Bobcat that would bury the beast in one shovelful. ;-)

Tim

Tim Williams

Where is the fun in that? The pitiful braying as each shovel full of dirt was dropped on his demented head? The kicking and whining?

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I know, I know, but knowing the rest of the story, it's like so many Evil Villain outcomes- sometimes you just have to kill the bastard right then and there or he'll end up biting you in the rear end. It's a shame practicality isn't always the most satisfying method.

Tim

Tim Williams

And drop it down your enemies well! ;-)

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Kind of like when my neighbor discovered a rotted out tree stump in my back yard that was full of poisonous snakes? He pulled his foot out of the hole and they followed. I hit them with a shovel, and sent him for my can of gasoline. I dumped a gallon into the hole and lit it off, then used the shovel to chop them up as they crawled out. I couldn't risk having them get under my house, or any of my neighbors. That was a nasty and stinking mess. After the fire was out it took four wheelbarrows heaped with dirt to fill that hole.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Ah, I'm reminded of a playing card I have -- many years ago, Magic The Gathering was a playing card fad you may recall (which I think is still popular enough to have new cards in print, which also suggests my now ancient cards could be worth a fortune, but I digress-). Anyway, the card was Jinxed Idol, and whoever player owned it on their turn recieved damage from it. You had to pay to transfer it to another player, so playing it would be like a game of hot-potato. I remember the caption (many cards had an italic caption relating some story relating to the card or the mythical universe in general) simply read "Here."

Hmm, this may well be the world's first [non-spam?] mention of MTG on this newsgroup... I feel funny, I hope that's warm and fuzziness I'm feeling :^)

Tim

Tim Williams

You're probably sitting too close to your induction heater again. :)

prove it.