OT: So How Would You Suggest a Confirmed Windows User Convert to Linux?

work there. But things have gotten better over the years... staff retires/gets reassigned, fresh blood gets hired (who actually know wtf they are doing).

Lots of things are *bad*... some worse than others.

Such is life.

Craigslist) but after witnessing the 120 MB/s on my SATA drives, I'm quite impressed, and I'll hang onto my 2 GB P4 for awhile longer.

Well it works! =) Rare is the day I ask it to do anything challenging. How many GHz do I need to surf the web anyway haha.

Athlon... ahh... =)

Reply to
mrdarrett

work there. But things have gotten better over the years... staff retires/gets reassigned, fresh blood gets hired (who actually know wtf they are doing).

Huh?!

Craigslist) but after witnessing the 120 MB/s on my SATA drives, I'm quite impressed, and I'll hang onto my 2 GB P4 for awhile longer.

many GHz do I need to surf the web anyway haha.

No wonder you have so many problems and don't know what works. The rest of the world moved on.

It takes up just as much space as a P4. ;-)

Reply to
krw

without any effort of your side.

Of course not. He (and I) want tools, not a hunk of iron some poorly written instructions on the Zen of tool making.

Reply to
krw

On a sunny day (Tue, 05 Mar 2013 11:21:47 -0500) it happened Phil Hobbs wrote in :

out too.

an other machine,

other laptop, etc etc.

Been doing that on nn PCs ever since Linux .98.

In all that time I: once accidently did rm -rf * in /, hit ctrl C really fast, and lost part of X11 dir, copied it back from CD, no problem.

Other easy mistake is to add a space in an rm statement.

But when trying anything on the command line you have to pay attention, like when driving a car, or flying a plane.

The other mistake I once made is replace a libc by an other one, everything stopped working, but I would have done that as non-root with sudo anyways, was just a moment of mis-understanding, you learn.

All that time wasted by operating as a castrated user, with no power to do any I/O (that I need all the time anyways). Imagine a car where you have to sit in the right seat steering, and every time you need to accelerate or break, or whatever, need to hop over to the left driver seat.. (For the UK it is the other way around). I would scrap it :-) There even was a distro where you got a totally red screen as soon as you logged in as root. Old women, like NASA doing acrobatics a few hundred km up, people asking about lawyers if Dennis Tito wants to send a couple past mars...

No more assault weapons, hey no more matches, no more kitchen knives, no more food? You could get indigestion, probably horse meat with hormones in it anyways:-) Age of old women, men who go where no man has gone before (marry an other man), and all that political crap.

And the consequence of a fatal error? I once dropped a harddisk (with MS windows and Linux on it). mmm so what! you DO make backups do you? At least of the stuff you worked on for years?

I prefer not to walk around with chains on my feet and a weight on my neck.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

just work there. But things have gotten better over the years... staff retires/gets reassigned, fresh blood gets hired (who actually know wtf they are doing).

Oh, you know... I could be on the streets... or in prison... but I'm not, so I count my blessings. =)

many GHz do I need to surf the web anyway haha.

So many problems? It works fine. Faster than the Core2 Duo machine at work (running WinXP). There is the occasional Ubuntu bug, especially with volume control, but it's no big deal.

Besides, I'm cheap. Otherwise I'd buy an i7 and be done with it. Haha.

Reply to
mrdarrett

Right. You need an auxilary X server, e.g. Cygwin/X. Also free, and comes with a nice set of Unixish tools for Windows (Cygwin,

). Getting X11 tunnelling to work across SSH is often fiddly in Windows, but with Putty it just works. Putty has many other shining virtues as well, e.g. it's a general purpose terminal that blows Hyperterminal away completely. I use it all the time for talking with instruments and so on, as well as for running X apps over ssh.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

just work there. But things have gotten better over the years... staff retires/gets reassigned, fresh blood gets hired (who actually know wtf they are doing).

count my blessings. =)

Should you be? Both of those conditions are self-inflicted.

How many GHz do I need to surf the web anyway haha.

(running WinXP). There is the occasional Ubuntu bug, especially with volume control, but it's no big deal.

You must have the work machine configured very poorly. Again, fire the IT department.

Life is short. I work so that I can do and have things. I do. Why sweat the small things?

Reply to
krw

I count my blessings. =)

Probably not... but then again I did some pretty stupid stuff as a kid.

Lol.

Why indeed...

Reply to
mrdarrett

WHAT?

WHY???

Aha...

Umm, yeah?

anyways,

"Hi officer, it was just a moment of mis-understanding..."

(snip O.O)

You don't run with scissors though... do you? It's a bit like putting the scissors in a metal sheath so you can run while holding them...

Oh never mind...

Reply to
mrdarrett

You seem to be the only one sweating over it. My dual core machine isn't noticeably faster than the P4 I use as the primary computer.

Reply to
mike

The "for that" he referred to was "remotely accessing a Linux machine".

Which putty does just fine.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

need without any effort of your side.

Do you mean like all dem welfare weenies? That doesn't quite seem to be your thrust.

Not at all to any point, just whinging.

Maybe. The Unix world philosophy is so very different. Over the years MS stuff has been becoming more like Unix/Linux for over 2 decades. Similarly GUI tools in Linux have become better than equivalent MS tools. If you really want to set me off i can seriously out complain, with better backup, the ever growing failings of MS system management tools versus that of most any Linux distribution. I might have to learn the history of another distributions tools to make it stick but i surely can.

If you expect it to exactly mirror your MSWin experience so that all those years seamlessly apply you are kidding yourself. Go play with a Mac for a week, month, or year. See how different that is, yet NOBODY whines about that difference.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

You really can't read, can you?

All that proves is that you, too, can f*ck up a system.

Reply to
krw

Ah, perhaps not noticeably so (from a gui perspective) but I noticed a difference when using mencoder to transform different video files.

Just my $0.02, unadjusted for inflation

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

On a sunny day (Tue, 5 Mar 2013 16:30:06 -0800 (PST)) it happened snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

You are a complete idiot. Be careful using knife and fork when eating, Poor guy.

Seems you are so inexperienced with bit flipping I can hardly believe it. Do you run a comic show, or are you one of 0bama's club?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Tue, 5 Mar 2013 21:12:30 -0800 (PST)) it happened snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

difference when using mencoder to transform different

If you have a multi core, use ffmpeg with the -threads X flag for encoding, where X is the number of cores.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

difference when using mencoder to transform different

Oh, nice! I usually use mencoder though. Not sure why I never really warmed to ffmpeg. Maybe just because I know how to convert h.264 to mpeg-2 using mencoder, but not with ffmpeg...

But, yeah, the Core 2 duo at work gave faster times than the Pentium 4 at home, haha.

Something like this.

#!/bin/sh for i in *.mp4; do if [ -e "$i" ]; then file=`basename "$i" .mp4` mencoder -oac lavc -ovc lavc -of mpeg -mpegopts format=dvd -vf \ scale=720:480,harddup -srate 48000 -af lavcresample=48000 -lavcopts \ vcodec=mpeg2video:vrc_buf_size=1835:vrc_maxrate=9800:vbitrate=5000:\ keyint=18:aspect=16/9:acodec=ac3:abitrate=192 -ofps 30000/1001 \

-mc 0 -noskip -o "$file.mpg" "$i" fi done

Reply to
mrdarrett

I know you are but what am I?

Neener neener neener!

Reply to
mrdarrett

On a sunny day (Wed, 6 Mar 2013 08:47:50 -0800 (PST)) it happened snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

Fact that you ask that question show you need to do some research.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Wed, 6 Mar 2013 08:46:43 -0800 (PST)) it happened snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

to ffmpeg. Maybe just because I know how to

haha.

Yes, I have used mencoder, but i tis reall ya sbste of ffmpog, if you look in the source oy see mplayer uses ffmpeg. I sometimes use mplayer -dumpvideo etc if I am lazy and just need some material.

The general format foe ffmpeg from format X to format Y is something like:

ffmpeg -i camera6-video-199.avi -threads 2 -vcodec mpeg2video -r 30 -b 4000k -y q1.mpg

-r 30 for 30 fps,

-b sets the bitrate, see man ffmpeg

-y overwrites output without asking.

Try getting the 'mediainfo' program:

INPUT:

panteltje: /video # mediainfo camera6-video-199.avi General Complete name : camera6-video-199.avi Format : AVI Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave File size : 95.9 MiB Duration : 7h 34mn Overall bit rate : 29.5 Kbps Writing application : Lavf52.36.0

Video Format : AVC Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec Format profile : Baseline@L2.2 Format settings, CABAC : No Format settings, ReFrames : 1 frame Codec ID : H264 Duration : 7h 34mn Bit rate : 29.1 Kbps Nominal bit rate : 10 000 bps Width : 640 pixels Height : 480 pixels Display aspect ratio : 4/3 Frame rate : 2.000 fps

Reply to
Jan Panteltje