OT: So How Would You Suggest a Confirmed Windows User Convert to Linux?

Oh come now, some of us have learned to pick our noses while waiting for the machine to reboot XD

Reply to
mrdarrett

machine to reboot XD

Boot? XD? I boot my Win laptops (home and work) about once a month[*]. It takes about 30sec (unless there are updates to be done). My Netbook gets rebooted even more seldom, mainly because it takes so long.

[*] Surely you've heard of "sleep mode".
Reply to
krw

Are you really *that* across-the-board STUPID?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I am amazed at how retardedly you make statements like the above...

In my book, anybody who thinks that 'your' way is 'proper' is grounds for a humiliating dismissal.

Reply to
MrTallyman

Lol, yes I have; however, an IT co-worker said not to use it, since the network card would get confused on wake-up. Shutting down/rebooting fixed my weird wake-up problems (network drives not found, etc.), and I never used it since.

This was years ago; maybe the problems with "sleep mode" with network cards have been fixed..?

I used to Hibernate quite a bit, but writing all my 2 GB of RAM to disk takes about as long as it takes Ubuntu to boot up, so...

XD

Reply to
mrdarrett

card would get confused on wake-up. Shutting down/rebooting fixed my weird wake-up problems (network drives not found, etc.), and I never used it since.

You need to replace either your hardware supplier or your IT department.

have been fixed..?

Things do change.

about as long as it takes Ubuntu to boot up, so...

Hibernate is a waste. 2GB? Who the hell has only 2GB? Even my Netbook has four (though only 2-something is usable). Memory is too cheap to scrimp.

Reply to
krw

network card would get confused on wake-up. Shutting down/rebooting fixed my weird wake-up problems (network drives not found, etc.), and I never use d it since.

Oh, don't I wish. And I wouldn't stop with the IT department... but I just work there. But things have gotten better over the years... staff retires /gets reassigned, fresh blood gets hired (who actually know wtf they are do ing).

rds have been fixed..?

Ah, good.

takes about as long as it takes Ubuntu to boot up, so...

Ahahahaha. Actually, when I upgraded my RAM from 1 GB to 2 GB (coincidenta lly because MemTest86 said I had some bad RAM; the system would randomly fl ake on me) I actually did not notice any speed increase on my Ubuntu system . But, the only times I do anything remotely taxing are when I'm convertin g camera/camcorder video from mpeg-4 to mpeg-2 for burning DVDs. Ubuntu si mply rocks on my Pentium-4.

Yes I did consider upgrading to at least a Core 2 Duo ($80 or so on Craigsl ist) but after witnessing the 120 MB/s on my SATA drives, I'm quite impress ed, and I'll hang onto my 2 GB P4 for awhile longer.

=)

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

network card would get confused on wake-up. Shutting down/rebooting fixed my weird wake-up problems (network drives not found, etc.), and I never used it since.

work there. But things have gotten better over the years... staff retires/gets reassigned, fresh blood gets hired (who actually know wtf they are doing).

I hear ya' but that's *bad*. Sleep has worked for ages, though docking working correctly with sleep is something new, AFAIC.

have been fixed..?

takes about as long as it takes Ubuntu to boot up, so...

because MemTest86 said I had some bad RAM; the system would randomly flake on me) I actually did not notice any speed increase on my Ubuntu system. But, the only times I do anything remotely taxing are when I'm converting camera/camcorder video from mpeg-4 to mpeg-2 for burning DVDs. Ubuntu simply rocks on my Pentium-4.

but after witnessing the 120 MB/s on my SATA drives, I'm quite impressed, and I'll hang onto my 2 GB P4 for awhile longer.

P4? Say no more.

No wonder your hardware is screwed up! I thought my Athlon was old (and it hasn't been powered on in years ;-).

Reply to
krw

criticism.

spend time

example.

stuff on top.

the US deficit,

something useful.

installing that OS!!!

Debian,

comprehend.

etc etc,

labeled

part,

the object you want.

thing,

these days version.

saying: I want a box of 1 inch nails'

commands in).

Fred Flintstone.

toilet..

First things first; Ubuntu is designed to useful / accessible for ma and pa blue, pink and white collar main tracks and the nearby local tracks, it was not designed to handle techno-industrial sidings. Once your feet are wet with Ubuntu, switch tracks to (upline) Debian which has substantially better access to those kinds of tracks and places.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

changing.

Did you have to update gcc or anything?

each over the weekend. Yeah, I could have re-installed Windows... and Linux... but nah, I wanted to get up and running ASAP. So, clone the old 1 TB drive. But... I've only got one SATA connector (thin profile PC). (Or, so I thought at the time.) I used dd to send the old hard drive image (/dev/sda) via GZIP to the external USB drive I bought from Costco (with only 600 GB free). Ok, but the next day, I get a transfer rate of... 2 megabytes per sec. O.O That'll take a few days to transfer a terabyte. Did a bit of Googling, and apparently very large files see a performance slowdown with the NTFS drivers... a..ha... well, ok, stop that... took the computer apart, and WOW, there are *TWO* SATA connectors in there! Well hey, sudo dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=1M and I get a 120 megabyte/sec transfer rate! All done in just a few hours. Yay! Then I used gparted to expand the partitions to fill unused space,

/home directory there, all by itself... haha. I hear it involves editing /etc/fstab...

Yep, editing fstab is required. Not such a big thing though. First operation mount the new HD somewhere else like */newdisk* and cp */home* to it. Then mount it, without removing the existing files, on the fly. Now test the heck out of it. If anything goes wrong you didn't get a good copy; unmount and rsync, then try again.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

special

read

Nice expose on the magnitude of the power of dd. I have used some of those myself.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

Very true. And some cars don't fit some users. Live distros can be considered like a neighbor / friend giving you use of e's car for a week to se if you like it. But being software no expensive physical personal property is really involved ('cept your computer, protect anything valuable on it).

Reply to
josephkk

that's way off-topic here...

Sorry, I can't get excited by all the problems windows users subject themselves to. I can't have empathy for somwthing I have not experienced.

this newsgroup is sci electronics design...

why are you telling me this?

We were talking about hardware and about how little the manufacturers and remarketers know about linux support, they could say it does when it doesn't or not mention support that's built into the kernel...

The only way to be sure is suck it and see.

the short answer is I sould have got a USB connected UPS, becuase there's a standard interface for battery monitoring that's used in laptos etc... no drivers are needed it just works.

That's probably not going to happen, windows server 2012 with the unix services add-on provides pretty-much everything you can do with linux, except perhaps oddball things like beowulf clusters.

Why do you expect one version to meet all needs?

Pick something established and popular or something with paid support.

Ubundu 10.2 was warning sign to me.

I'm not seeing anyththing claimed that you don't get with windows, when you change versions.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

On a sunny day (Mon, 04 Mar 2013 16:08:31 -0800) it happened mike wrote in :

Oh, it works form me:-)

Go to a bar and ask who should be president, that remark makes as much sense.

It looks like you want something that does everything you think you need without any effort of your side.

You are a first class idiot (quote me!!!)

You have no clue what this is all about, or at best have been severely mis-informed.

Some history: Linus wrote a small operating system that was actually just a poor mans Unix.

So: >>>>I wrote get a book on Unix and start leaning>NOW what to type at this command line?????????????

Grabbed the book, now I could try things, a new world opened. Free C compiler, took some paper, and started writing down all those commands YOU do not want to know about. How to mount a disk, how to list a directory, how to configure the bash prompt, how to edit a file, how to compile a file, things were easy for me, already wrote a CP/M clone, lots of C (we had to learn C in my job),

8080, 8052, 8051, Z80, x86 asm, all everyday work, writing drivers for DOS etc... So programming in C was no real problem, and now I could write programs without that silly MS windows limitation. No DOS memory limits, unlimited swap...

Life is a leaning experience, if you are not learning you are dead.

And all that work done, by so many, for free, for their own dreams, you want to not even study and learn from, you want some utopia where things happen the way you want but you do not even know WHAT it is you want.

It is not going to happen that way. You will never be able to create anything that way.

As to bash, as C programmer I neglected or simple did not have the experience to use bash for more than simple scripts. When writing software (in C) that made its way into Linux dvdauthor, I came across the code of 'dvdwizard'. dvdwizard is written in bash, I suggest to study that code, a complete dvd authoring program written in bash. And here is where I have to point to a very important feature in Linux (Unix): pipes With pipes you can connect all those little programs (that you refer to as commands), to do things that are maybe in the eyes of some impossible, because it connects expert knowledge of so many contributors to do near miracles to say the least.

But, for the brain dead, buy a pad, and click on a pictjure, and out comes the coocoo. WOW!

Design, electronics design, software design, is different from LISTENING to a mp3 player. In that case the music goes in one ear, and likely comes out the other, or fills up the space between with what the players were experiencing, but only so much, it never will be your own. And neither will you be able to play it like that.

Do not be a complainer, CHANGE the world, contribute to the software world, CREATE what you cannot find for free.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On 3/5/2013 2:34 AM, Jan Panteltje wrote: snip

without any effort of your side.

That's EXACTLY what I want. As does most everybody you meet on the street.

You wanna be a linux guru? Go for it.

Some of us just want to complete a task and use our computers as tools to make it easier. Linux could be that tool for the masses with a little cooperation and coordination.

Reply to
mike

On a sunny day (Tue, 05 Mar 2013 03:15:38 -0800) it happened mike wrote in :

without any effort of your side.

But not from you!

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Putty isn't an X-server...

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Nico Coesel

out too.

other machine,

other laptop, etc etc.

Wait a minute--you run everything as *root* ??? Weiiiiiiirrrrrrddddd.

Why throw away the protection that file permissions give you?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

without any effort of your side.

Ignore Jan. He's still pissed that he couldn't figure out how to use XP.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

THE DIMBULB SCORECARD

A Monkey Abbey Somebody All InTheChi AM AnimalMagic Archimedes' Lever AtTheEndofMyRope AwlSome Auger BaltoTopDog BarnCat

10 Bart! BigBalls BillyPilgrim BlindBaby Booong... Bum, Bum, Bum, Bum... (Intel ad)" BubbleSorter Bungalow Bill Capt. Cave Man CellShocked Chairman Meow 20 ChairmanOfTheBored Chieftain of the Carpet Crawlers Cleavon "Bart" Little Copacetic Corbomite Carrie DarkMatter DarkSucker DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno Do I really need to say? Dorothy with the Red Shoes on 30 Dr. Heywood R. Floyd DreadKnot Dread Pirate Roberts DrParnassus Duke Nukem FatBytestard FigureItOut FullMettleJacket FunkyPunk FieldEffectTrollsistor FunkyPunk FieldEffectTrollsistor 40 George Orr GoldIntermetallicEmbrittlement GotchaDumbfuck! Hattori Hanzo HectorZeroni Hellequin Herbert John \Jackie\" Gleason" HiggsField IAmTheSlime ItchyGato 50 ItsASecretDummy Jupiter Jaq Kai Klinger LargeMarge Lewis Redmond life imitates life Lil Red Riding In The Hood lurch MadManMoon 60 MakeNoAttemptToAdjustYourSet snipped-for-privacy@disdatanddeudder.org snipped-for-privacy@thebarattheendoftheuniverse.org MeowSayTongue MettleBeerStolid Mortimer Brewster Mr.Eko Mr. Haney MrTallyman My Name Is Tsu How Do You Do 70 Mycelium Mycelium Naomi Price Neanderthal Notably Stationed Numer0 Un0 Nunya OutsideObserver Pasticcio Perenis 80 Pieyed Piper Phat Bytestard PowderedToastMan Pueblo Dancer RoyLFuchs scorpius SkyPilot SomeKindOfWonderful Son of a Sea Cook SoothSayer 90 Spurious Response StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt Sum Ting Wong Sum Ting Wong SuspendedInGaffa The Great Attractor TheJoker The Keeper of the Key to The Locks The Last Mimsy The Loner 100 The_Giant_Rat_of_Sumatra George Leroy Tirebiter TheGlimmerMan TheKraken TheQuickBrownFox TralfamadoranJetPilot TunnelRat snipped-for-privacy@thebarattheendoftheuniverse.org Tutankhamun UltimatePatriot 110 UnKempt UpGrade UpYerNose ValleyGirl VelCrowPhly VioletaPachydermata WallyWallWhackr WarmUnderbelly WoolyBully Zarathustra 120 100WattDarkSucker
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell