OT: SKYPE

Skype/Micro$hit Crap...

Looks like Skype now prevents responding to a "contact request" until you ACCEPT.

In the past I'd kick back a contact request from an unknown with an IM, "Who are you?"

Now all you can do is accept or decline.

If you have a good reason for requesting contact status, use the envelope icon on the home page of my website. Follow the specified rules, otherwise you'll go down another black hole. ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | "Those [of us] who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night" -Edgar Allan Poe

I removed Skype as soon as I was informed M$HIT had taken it over. The very same day. There's just something about these Megacorporations that creeps me out, so no M$, no Skype, no Google, no Facebook, no Twitter... and so on. All removed. Permanently. My internet activity predates all bar M$ anyway so no loss.

Cursitor Doom

I feel the same way about any "code" that a Millennial touches. They just fu^k it up. Usually in the guise of an "update" or "patch".

They think: As long as it looks cool, it doesn't actually have to work.

Reply to
mpm

I used to love Skype. Now it's simply unnecessary.

Use Telegram for private instant messaging, and occasional voice (though not best quality/echo cancellation etc).

For video, use . Pay a subscription if you want to exclude uninvited people (though I've never had that happen) or if you want more than 4 people, or screen-sharing. It's fantastic technology, fully peer-to-peer, supported directly inside modern web browsers (Chrome, Firefox, etc).

For real-time remote teamwork, use Slack.

Microsoft: just say no.

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

On Thursday, February 8, 2018 at 3:34:44 AM UTC-5, Clifford Heath wrote: .

I agree. I have voip using Pioneer telephone ( the company in Maine, there are two other Pioneer Telephone companies ) for $ 10 a month plus taxes etc bring it up to $14. No need to be sure I have the Skype number.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

For business I'd use Zoom. It is much better.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I hate those things. I use email.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Video calls are really practical because you can see each others documents. With some services you can even give mouse control to others or to everyone. Often I have to guide tricky parts of a layout and that makes it easy. Of course, this is not good at all for the airline and hotel industry.