[OT] Raed colmpex txet pasasges vioedrd frsit and lsat leetrts inpiiotson?!?!

Arinocdcg to rencet rseaerch, the hmuan brian is plrectfey albe to > raed colmpex pasasges of txet caiinontng wdors in whcih the lrettes > hvae been jmblued, pvioedrd the frsit and lsat leetrts rmeian in > teihr crcerot piiotsons. > > The fcat taht you are ridenag tihs now wtih reaitvle esae is poorf of > the thoery.

I wonder if neural nets and other pattern recognition algorithms can do this too? I find its easier when I practice speed-reading, than looking at each word.

Scott

--
**********************************

DIY Piezo-Gyro, PCB Drill Bot & More Soon!
http://home.comcast.net/~scottxs/

POLITICS, n.
A strife of interests masquerading as a contest of principles.
The conduct of public affairs for private advantage. - Ambrose Bierce

**********************************
Reply to
Scott Stephens

Wow, that's amazing! Talk about bad speeling. Err... I mean, I understood almost every word on this post and most everything contained in that link. Very peculiar.

Reply to
Fritz Schlunder

Thts knd of th wy shrthnd wrks nly rthr thn jmblng ltrs, u jst...

That *was* cool. So language/spelling instructors are just tax revenue sinks, after a certain point in a kids edumacation..

--
Best Regards,
Mike

I think the trick is (for me anyways) to learn to read with phonics, then get years of practice, then learn to speed-read, guessing at words at a glance.

I doubt it will work if you don't teach (repetition) the proper spelling first.

Scott

--
**********************************

DIY Piezo-Gyro, PCB Drill Bot & More Soon!
http://home.comcast.net/~scottxs/

POLITICS, n.
A strife of interests masquerading as a contest of principles.
The conduct of public affairs for private advantage. - Ambrose Bierce

There is no giant behind the devastation of the world?only a shriveled
creature with the wizened
face of a child who is out to blow up the kitchen because he cannot
steal his cookies and eat them, too. - Ayn Rand
**********************************
Reply to
Scott Stephens

Right. "After a certain point..." is what I said. You'd need the patterns in your head (like neural net/OCR.) Maybe some kind of right brain connection, also. Once I realized I could read each jumbled words you wrote, I speed read them. That's whaat was so cool about it all, IMO.

Yeah. You wondered about neural nets. Been a while since I looked at my book on that, but yeah. There are stored patterns and the net, given a corrupted input, just spits out that pattern.

--
Best Regards,
Mike

More proof. You dropped the "p" from "pvioedrd" in the subject line and I couldn't guess "provided".

--
Best Regards,
Mike

no, as the purpose of spelling is not to enable communication at a reasonably low error rate. It is primarily to present an instant image, to let your readers know youre not a nitwit, so you get taken seriously and minds and doors open.

Students that never learn proper spelling and grammar are always at a disadvatnage. They can write the greatest piece and have it ignored.

Secondly it is to enable a much greater level of precision of meaning than could ever be obtained with scrmabled words, and thus ability to understand to much mroe depth.

The first of the explanations offered for the phenomenon looked to me like no explanation at all. You cant recognise word meaning until you know what the word is.

It is in learning to read faster that we skim words fast enough to take in a whole word, or more, at one glance. Because we take in many letters in parallel at once, their serial positions are relatively little considered. This explains why scrambled can eb read fast, but can not be read slow. In slow read mode, we read the letters serially, and the serial data is badly corrupted. In parallel mode, its not far from being correct, near enough to guess right mostly.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

I tnhik cextotn mekas a dfrcinefee. ;-)

Cehres! Rcih

Reply to
Rich Grise

I think that was harder to read than if you had left the first and last letters in the correct positions. And it's short, so it doesn't lend itself to scanning/speed reading as well as a longer commo.

--
Best Regards,
Mike

Aarg! I mispeeled coxtent. ;-)