OT: Puerto Rico

I thought Trump was doing a good job with Puerto Rico until I read today that he has started a Twitter war with the mayor of San Juan. WTF? Can he even let people suffer in peace without saying this sort of crap?

...Such poor leadership ability by the Mayor of San Juan, and others in Puerto Rico, who are not able to get their workers to help. They....

...want everything to be done for them when it should be a community effort.

10,000 Federal workers now on Island doing a fantastic job.

Not sure what the first tweets of this string were because Trump deleted them. That's how embarrassed he is.

As Randy Newman wrote, "if you can't help us, won't you please, please, let us be?"

--
Rick C

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
rickman

Seems Trump is right again.

krw

he

rt.

et

PR are a bunch of scoundrels trying to game the system. Before the storm wa s even passed they were screaming about how the Jones Act and their crushin g debt should be repealed/ forgiven before they can even begin to survive t he damage. Now wasn't that convenient! Turns out the American merchant mari ne, who routinely take their ships through hurricanes on their route to PR already had delivered so many containers full of re-supply, there wasn't en ough room on the docks to unload any more of them. And their main shortage there is fuel of which 85% is delivered by Jones Act excepted tankers from Canada and Europe. For some reason the Jones Act excepted fuel tankers are not showing up. And for some other reason, the operations management can't get a single trucker to report to the docks to take away loads of supplies. And for some other reason, the people are too stunned to lift their hands to remove a single piece of debris off the roadways. So the story seems to be they can't do this and they can't do that for themselves, and their inco mpetent and corrupt leadership kicks and screams in front of the cameras ju st how bad Trump is because they know that's what those idiots want to hear . Sure we can clean it up for them, but send them a big fat multi-billion d ollar bill for our efforts. The U.S. is already on the hook for $290B for I rma and Harvey.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

That was quite the little rant! You are aware that Puerto Rico is part of the US, right? It's a territory and will become a state. You knew that, right?

--
Rick C

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
rickman

g a good job with Puerto Rico until I read today

hat he has started a Twitter war with the mayor of San Juan. WTF? Can he

ce without saying this sort of crap?

oor leadership ability by the Mayor of San Juan, and o thers in

r workers to help. They....

to be done for them when it should be a community eff ort.

fantastic job.

of this string were because Trump deleted

hat's how embarrassed he is.

rote, "if you can't help us, won't you please, please, let

ewed the eclipse at Wintercrest Farms,

erline of totality since 1998

[...]

John Oliver has an interesting story on Puerto R ico - try watching the whole segment and then tell u s where PR is screwing the rest of the US:

Jo hn

Reply to
John Robertson

He does have that habit. The football players are standing for the anthem. Assad has stopped the poison gas attacks. China is leaning hard on NK.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

It definitely won't become a state under this administration, in fact you get the sense that the administration would like the opportunity to eject PR out of its status as a US territory entirely. It's a liability of no value as far as they're concerned.

Kind of amazing when you think of it when only 30-40 years ago administrations were constantly obsessed with supporting and securing American interests in the Carribean and Latin America, even going to war over civil unrest in Grenada. Abandoning a Caribbean or Latin American nation with friendly relations with the US would've been unheard of - might as well have been asking for the communists to move in immediately and set up shop.

Reply to
bitrex

China's putting on a good show of being "tough" on NK. At the end of the day though they trust NK way more than they do the US and are great at play acting just long enough to get short-attention-span US administrations to move their focus on to whatever is coming up for the next news cycle.

In the long game though I think China is paying close attention to how the US is handling Puerto Rico right now wrt US policy in Latin America, and I think they're thinking it looks extremely weak.

Reply to
bitrex

He's right again. However, that's not a choice. It certainly won't become a state until it gets its finances in order.

You really are clueless.

Reply to
krw

Trump adopts so many attitudes that some of them have to be right. Obama found a much cheaper way of stopping poison gas attacks in Syria (at least for as long as he was president).

You might be allowed to start taking Trump seriously when he managed to repeal Obamacare, or gets his wall built along the Mexican border. Both are very silly ideas, but you are too dim to realise this.

In the meantime try to cultivate the idea that Trump is an ignorant egomaniac, (rather like you but even more flamboyant) rather than anything remotely presidential.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Vermont, Alabama, Mississippi, Maine, Arkansas, West Virginia, and South Carolina would all be in the same boat wrt finances if they were expected to pay for their citizens EBT, food stamps, and welfare checks entirely out of pocket instead of from federal government aid.

Puerto Rico was the darling of US administrations trying to help their business friends in the late 60s, 70s, and 80s. "Progress Island, USA":

I have a bunch of DIP ICs from Texas Instruments labeled "Made in Puerto Rico" from the late 1970s - I guess TI found it financially expedient to ship the dice down there to have them packaged cheaper than they could be by mainland US workers and then shipped back.

But the tax breaks that corporations got for moving manufacturing there eventually expired, and Puerto Rican residents had the audacity to expect a somewhat higher standard of living as a US protectorate than a third world country. That was silly, US corporations ejected to SE Asia the minute PR stopped being a good value.

Reply to
bitrex
[snip uninformed BS from Rickman]

A rare occasion when I agree with bloggs.

See...

for some insight into the Dimocrat idiocy.

I think there's a solution to a whole lot of this 'natural disaster' crap.

When the insurance companies issue checks for repair/replace they should also issue simple statements: You are no longer insured unless you rebuild to hurricane/flood standards. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

and...

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

But if that happened, the homeowner would need no insurance in the first place.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

;-)

Here in Arizona you MAY NOT build in areas designated as flood planes... period.

In other areas, statistically subject to 100 year floods, you have to get flood insurance, otherwise you don't get a mortgage. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Another problem in Puerto Rico is the many non-native eucalyptus trees. They are tall and shallow-rooted and like to tip over in a high wind; they even do that in San Francisco, in relatively mild winter storms. They take out cars and buildings and roads and especially power lines.

If I ever built a house near sea level in hurricane territory, which I wouldn't, the walls would be pilings and the ground floor would be sacrificial. But that takes money.

Packing millions of people near sea level in hurricane alley is risky.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

this

We have a similar tree problem here in Arizona.

Our native trees are used to dry weather and produce deep "tap" roots that not only let them find water, but stabilize them in high winds.

People move here from the East... water the trees, resulting in shallow roots... first good wind storm, over they go. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Please explain the difference between linked arms in protest during the anthem and kneeling in protest during the anthem.

--
Rick C

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
rickman

Duh! This administration is having trouble wiping its ass. But it will become a state. It may be sooner than you think. I watched some shows about it last night and we have pretty much screwed Puerto Rico up one side and down the other over the last decades. Their current economic situation is not entirely their own doing.

You don't know much about geopolitics. Land is never a liability. That's why a war was fought over the Falklands and why China is so crazy over various rocks in the Pacific.

No argument there.

--
Rick C

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
rickman

Well, it does have _intrinsic_ value, yeah. It's value to a Republican administration is severely compromised due to the fact it's full of not-white people who want representation at the national level.

Reply to
bitrex