ot opening day

\

Yeah, I meant the temperature of the Sun's core; we don't see any significant variations in the photosphere's light output, nor in the heat flow from Earth's core, and don't expect them, on the timescale of concern for climate change.

Reply to
whit3rd

"Climate Crisis" or "Climate Emergency" are both better for scaring children.

 Click to see the full signature

There is a strong correlation between earth average temp and sunspot cycles. We are probably headed into an unusually low sunspot minimum, which is associated with cold.

 Click to see the full signature

This is essentially Anthony Watts' denialist narrative.

John Larkin and James Arthur seem to take it seriously.

Cite?

He likes the story he has been spoon fed by his political allies.

The most likely source for that was the Climategate file dump, which did in clude a graduate students' programming sandbox. James Arthur does claim to have known a failed climate researcher who doesn't seem to have been good a t his job and bailed out, which might have given James access to some other bad code.

The proposition that a climate model could be an accurate model of a know p hysical process is an expression of ignorance.

The butterfly effect was well known from the early in the climate modelling story, which Jon von Neumann started back on 1950.

All that climate modelling tells you is how the climate might develop. If y ou run enough of them you get a statistical picture, not a accurate model o f a single process.

Even John van Neumann's model had Hadley cells. It didn't tell you where th e real Hadley cells were at at any given time, but the fact that they were a persistent feature was useful information.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Cite?

There are people who have made that claim, but they all seem to have been discredited.

The denialist propaganda sources that John Larkin relies on cite the papers that claim to have found such correlations, but reliably skip the follow-up papers that debunk them.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

The correlation is weak, and only verified for short times; since the heat is generated hundreds of thousands of miles from the sun's surface where the spots are, we can't expect sunspots to cause anything but a short-term fluctuation, ever.

It's in the climate models, but isn't a big term.

Reply to
whit3rd

whit3rd wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

I agree... at least right up until Yellowstone destroys us again.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Wouldn't that depend entirely on which is cause and which is effect?

Obviously the earth temperature has no impact on sun spot activity, rather it would be the other direction. So why would there likely be a low sunspot minimum??? You make literally no sense.

--
  Rick C.

  + Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Rick C

Confirmed, Rick C is illiterate.

Reply to
krw

He can read, but he's only here to squabble. Ignore him.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
jlarkin

That would be an interesting read to compare our vehicle measurements agaist weather stations! Can you share any references on that ?

--
mikko
Reply to

Wow! That's amazing. I must have really struck a nerve with JL. After all this time he still fears conversing with me. Isn't that amazing? What is wrong with this guy?

--
  Rick C.

  -- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Rick C

surface, the core temperature is just as irrelevant to the environment of l iving beings as is the Sun.

inly

he

le

m,

ather it would be the other direction. So why would there likely be a low sunspot minimum??? You make literally no sense.

all this time he still fears conversing with me. Isn't that amazing? What is wrong with this guy?

That's an interesting question. I think the fundamental problem is that he has a high opinion of his own capabilities.

This lead him to set up his own business a couple of times, and after a few failures he found a business model that worked, for him.

This seems to involve doing electronics for people who don't know much abou t electronics. What he produces seems to work well enough to keep his custo mers happy, so he makes money, and has decided that this means that he know s a lot about electronics design (which doesn't seem to be true).

When he gets exposed to opinions that don't match his inflated idea of his own capabilities he feels hurt and insulted, and his reactions are designed to elicit the same feelings in the people he is responding to.

It's all reasonably obvious once you discard the idea that he is a mature a dult.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to