OT: Only in America

Get paid for being an illegal immigrant..

I mean really, what were they thinking. Oh wait, they must be Democrats.

Martin Riddle

Do try and read the news reports that you refer us to.

They weren't being paid for being illegal immigrants - in fact the story only identifies them as Muslim Arab immigrants so your "=EFllegal" seems to be something that you have added to the story.

And they seem to be being compensated for wrongful arrest and the abuse they subsequently suffered (or claim to have suffered) while in detention.

You seem to be suffering from Ravinghordes' disorder, where you see a news story and decide that it supports your view of the world without paying enough attention to the actual facts being reported.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Pots, kettles and black perhaps ?...

Regards,

Chris

Reply to
ChrisQ

You'd like to think so, and since you are a Daily Telegraph reader, you save yourself the bother of actually reading the Fox News piece that Martin Riddle was pointing to

by believing what you want to believe. It makes you look stupid, but since you don't want to believe that you are presenting yourself as some kind of self-indulgent nitwit, you manage to ignore this particular consequence.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

I think you must be having another senior moment, Bill, as I don't read the Telegraph on a regular basis and never have. I must have told you this several times in the past so please wake up. In any case, how someone who lives in Holland can be so sure and confident in his knowledge of the English press beats me.

You really should get out more. Sitting alone and festering over the cruel way that life has failed to recognise your unique talents is an ultimately downhill path to tread...

Regards,

Chris

Reply to
ChrisQ

You are, as usual, misinformed.

They were illegal immigrants and were deported. They had no business being in the US, they were here illegally.

Martin Riddle

Just enough to latch onto their more half-baked ideas.

Telegraph readers do tend to lie about their problem ...

I lived and worked in England for twenty years, and still get - and read - the Guardian Weekly. BBC1 and 2 are part of our local cable package. I can't say that I'm fascinated by the UK, but we do know what goes on there.

My "unique" talents were recognised for what they were worth. I'd prefer to be working at the moment, but there are enough good electronic engineers around that society isn't going to founder for want of my contribution.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

"

Since nothing the in the report that you cited identified them as illegal immigrants, and you failed to inform us about this point when you made your original post - beyond making your throw-away claim - we have been misinformed by you.

Until you adduce some evidence to support your claim that the people being compensated were actually illegal immigrants - and/or Democrats

- it won't be clear how you've been misinforming us.

Or so you like to think.

If this were true, they would have shared that status with a good proportion of the Mexicans who keep the US economy running. If the US got serious about expelling illegal immigrants, its economy would grind to a halt.

The people involved weren't incarcerated and abused because they were illegal immigrants, they were jumped on because they were Muslim Arabs

- not members of any terrorist organisation, nor any kind of danger to the American public, which is more than can be said for the people who arrested and abused them.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

--
Actually, I think society is probably less likely to founder because of
the lack of your "contribution". ;)

So much for Bill's lame claims on aus.electronics that he's educating people on the sci.electronics groups.

--
The movie \'Deliverance\' isn\'t a documentary!
Reply to

You may think that you have some idea of what goes on in the uk, but only through the filter of a biased left wing rag and a self important BBC that is economical with the truth so as to not offend anyone. The Grauniad says it all really. I don't think you need to say anymore, ever.

No hard feelings though and if you ever make it to Oxford, i'll buy you a beer...

Regards,

Chris

Reply to
ChrisQ

Since my contribution would probably not have included any 555's, I can understand why you might think that. Since we now get along fine without stone axes, despite their importance in the early days of civilisation, you point of view probably shouldn't be taken all that seriously.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

ing

Some people aren't easy to educate, and both you and John Fields would seem to fall into that catagory.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Funny that you should mention that. During the brief period when I was reading both the Guardian and the Telegraph (the latter mainly for the job ads) I noticed that the Telegraph had a habit of leaving out detail from stories that the Guardian reported more completely. In every case the details were of a nature that would have conflicted with the right-wing world view - constructive suggestions from trade unions never seemed to be reported in the Telegraph

ver.

Dream on. For what it is worth I get more from the New Scientist than the Guardian Weekly, but the New Scientist would be a little over your head.

Unlikely. I was in Cambridge for three days last week - though I spent most of the Wednesday in London with one of my old friends from my days at EMI Central Research - but we hardly ever visit Oxford.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

I think you have to filter and apply weighting to all 'news' sources. They all have their agendas and biases.

Not really. I had a subscription to the NS for several years. It went through a bad patch where there were just too many irritating errors of fact which suggested that they hadn't done due diligence on their sources, or were just being sloppy. I stopped buying it at that time. Maybe it's improved now, but there's a lot of other good science on the web now as well.

EMI Labs ?, now that's a name to conjure with. I well remember using their valve scopes and other test gear in the late 60's and early seventies. They did some good science and made good products elsewhere as well...

Regards,

Chris

Reply to
ChrisQ

--
If, by "education", you mean hitching my wagon to your star, then I\'d
much prefer something other than a white dwarf.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Fields

--
You make my point in that had you chosen to use 555\'s where and when it
was appropriate, the abominations you created and foisted on society in
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Fields

of

cating

Education is getting people to think for themselves in a useful way. It isn't about hitching anybody's wagon to someone else's wagon train.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

And the "obominations" that I created and foisted on society were?

If you can't identify them, your claim that they would have been less abominable if they'd included a 555 or two does seem to be slightly arbitrary.

There's not much evidnece that you've ever thought about anything.

Oh, really? There's presumably some cute analogy out there waiting to be invented by someone who has the capacity to invent some way in which I have something in common with a stone axe. Obviously you don't have that capacity - it's the kind of defect we'd expect in someone who is still enthusiastic about a component that was designed back in

1971.

Since then people have invented new and interesting components, but none of them has distracted you from your single-minded commitment to the 555 - you don't seem to have any spare capacity left to master another component.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Cinders aren't white.