OT new Li battery?

I heard about this on the radio driving home last night.

Here's the paper.

Lunch time reading.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Heard about this a while ago. Looks good. I saw a demo where the battery was cut in half with scissors while still powering a device. it still powered the device. Seems the old liquid electrolyte was highly flammable when the lithium hit the oxygen in the air. The whiskers cause a short which heats the electrlyte which expands, pops the case and reacts with the oxygen.

Reply to
sdy

"UT Austin Office of Technology Commercialization is actively negotiating license agreements with multiple companies engaged in a variety of battery-related industry segments."

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Cool. Hope they start making them soon.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

Oh I saw that too, I didn't realize it was the same device.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

On a sunny day (Tue, 23 May 2017 10:35:10 -0700 (PDT)) it happened George Herold wrote in :

Yes, I even commented on it on youtube ages ago... In my view a 100% (or even more) better battery is announced very few weeks. If any of it was true, then 2x2x2 .. you could by now power NY from a battery the size of a sugar cube.

Let's wait for it to be in the shops. Better for Tesla too, needs to rebuild his factory...

BTW do you not design things for students? Regarding that lecture by whatshisname about Higgs, I remember as a kid my parents took me to the exhibition 'the atom' it was in Schiphol airport in Amsterdam. there was, among many other things, a huge cloud chamber:

If you watch the traces it is just like those Feynman diagrams, actually much a verbatim copy of what was seen later using huge photo multipliers. So it is a natural to me, I guess if you are exposed at very young age to something it is easier.

Some years ? ago I made my own in a small plastic box, actually did see some traces. Much stuff like that is on youtube if you google cloud chamber, for example:

Apart from the funny math if electronics was as simple as physics models ...

In those early days everything was radioactive, from light switches with radium to radium hands on watches to what not. I grew up drinking from uranium glassware, until mama got the news that was dangerous, then I switched to melting solder. And that does explain a lot I think.

So maybe you could sell cloud-chambers to get the kids interested?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Not until they get to the DiLithium crystal (or DiSodium?). Star Trek is for real.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

I've always wanted to make a cloud chamber. (But there's a whole bunch of stuff I'd like to do.) Looks like there are already several manufacturers. (so there's that.)

I think the big problem for me is that it's really only a demo. I want to get real numbers out of something. (Sure you can add a B-Field, measure curvature and figure out momentum.) But not all that great. (and you want big uniform fields) And you need a radioactive source.. it's harder to get those these days. And what do the students do? What knobs can they turn? It would be fun to get it up and running, but after that I find it boring.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

On a sunny day (Tue, 23 May 2017 12:06:10 -0700 (PDT)) it happened George Herold wrote in :

Oh, not that hard.. May become easier when Trump has a go...

Yes, after I did see some traces I went on to something else. OTOH there is a lot of info to be found, understanding to be gained. Your own little CERN :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Tue, 23 May 2017 11:23:49 -0700 (PDT)) it happened snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

Yea, those windmils are no good, terrorist can gain control, power those and spin them the wrong way and earth rotation changes,

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I expect I heard the same radio report. The inventor is John Goodenough who was a pioneer in the original Li ion battery, used LiCoO2 as the positive terminal which allowed the technology to be economically practical. Since the material donates Li ions, it allows the negative terminal to be something *other* than metallic Lithium which makes the batteries much safer (in spite of the reports of the dangers of Li Ion batteries).

I think he has some street creds, but then so did Linus Pauling. The radio report said some scientists feel Goodenough's claims violate the

1st law of thermodynamics. I haven't read the paper myself.
--

Rick C
Reply to

I forgot to mention, like many new technologies, the main problem is the cost. So Goodenough may be just the guy to find a way past that.

--

Rick C
Reply to

that would be good enough...

Reply to
Bill Martin

Sounds like magic!

Can anyone explain how a glass can have a high dielectric constant, be an electrolyte, and be conductive, all at the same time?

Clifford Heath

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Well, at least good enough.

Reply to
krw

It seems there's plenty of skepticism:

Clifford Heath

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Hmm Thanks Clifford. Well time will tell. A lot of that seems to be about a lack of understanding of the mechanism. And then some carping about bad coverage/ exaggerations from the press. (I skimmed some of the middle sections.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

You might want to read the article fully. There are concerns with the basic theory of how it works as well as the experimental methods of collecting data as described in the research papers. All in all I think there are serious concerns that need to be addressed.

This may well turn out to be another Linus Pauling and vitamin C although I hope not. Battery technology is largely stalled and a major advance like this would open up HUGE markets.

--

Rick C
Reply to

As usual, the problem seems to be at your end.

Please, either update your technology or stop telling us about your problems with it.

Clifford Heath

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Secure Connection Failed An error occurred during a connection to news.utexas.edu.

Reply to
Robert Baer