OT _ networking

I have 3x RSP ( raspberry ) on one side of the road and 2x RSP on the other side. Each group is on different network and each of them have access to internet.

For our project i want to connect all RSP into one LAN and connect them then to internet. The idea is to set one wifi router on one side and one on the other ( maybe TP-link ).

Shortly, i dont want to use existing WIFI because they have low bandwidth so this will not work. I just want to connect those two RSP groups like i would connect them with cable...

So: RSP _group1 WIFI RSP_group2 internet

Suggestions ?

Reply to
gm

Why should this not work? You buy an Internet router with WLAN, place it on the side of group_2, give it a unique WLAN address that only the raspberries in group_1 know and use, connect all the group_2 raspberries to that router using LAN cables, and then that router connects to the web.

Most such WLAN routers have 4-8 LAN cable ports. I found the TP-Link variety with the three antennas to be pretty good.

You could also use directional antennas to make this more robust but that gets you into a legal gray zone and could also result in too much data loss should there be a traffic jam (unless using lamp posts and such).

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

You didn't say how far, but I found Ubiquity access points have better range than most.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Den torsdag den 14. september 2017 kl. 18.07.25 UTC+2 skrev gm:

a Ubiquiti point to point bridge is stupidly simple

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Use cable.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

Across a road?

John

Reply to
jrwalliker

Just rent one of these :-)

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

It is easy to do WiFi across a road, at least when you can put the access points high enough so passing trucks and buses do not interrupt the free sight.

Something like this should do it:

When you need 1Gbps you can use something like this:

Rob

Outdoors you need something that is water-proof and can also withstand baking weeks on end in the glistening sun without the enclosure turning yellow and cracking. Must also be thunderstorm-tolerant. That is easier said than done, I am designing such stuff a lot (not for WLAN though).

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

That depends a bit on where you live. Products like the above are ok-ish for western Europe (where they were designed).

Reply to
Rob

Maybe more accurately: "northern" Europe. Say, the latitudes spanned by Great Britain.

Reply to
Rob

Even so just a few packets fall by the wayside. Annoying for streaming HDTV but irrelevant for web browsing or email.

Who said anything about outdoors? I used a flat panel high gain antenna and a cheap USB dongle that accepts a external antenna to extend my network ~200m to the village hall for lectures. Glass is transparent to RF as are roof tiles. Bandwidth suffers a bit though in heavy rain.

(although I used it indoors hung at the top of a window)

The VH now has its own microwave link internet that is faster than mine.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Not all glass is transparent, especially the new types aren't. (in office environment the chance of finding some IR filtering glass is even higher than in normal housing)

A wooden roof including tiles is quite a hefty attenuator at 5.6 GHz, and on 60 GHz it is even worse.

Reply to
Rob