OT: NAV and Eudora

Wrong question, is there anything *right* with Norton Anti Virus.

Get a copy of AntiVir, free.

--
Luhan Monat: luhanis(at)yahoo(dot)com
http://members.cox.net/berniekm

Oh bull puckey! Eudora has become so bloated and f..ked-up that it ranks right up there with OrCAD.

I'm running Eudora Pro v3.0.5 (ancient) just ducky with NAV2005.

...Jim Thompson

Check out alt.windows98 for what many people are saying about NAV. I like Mozilla for browsing, email, and newsgroups.

--
Luhan Monat: luhanis(at)yahoo(dot)com
http://members.cox.net/berniekm
"Any sufficiently advanced magick is
indistinguishable from technology."
Reply to
Luhan Monat

Actually that reminds me, "N" is running 4.3.2 with NAV2005.

I recently bought the NAV2005 "3-pack". Only problem I had, before I realized what was happening, was that the old version was slowing installation down by scanning the new installation for viruses ;-)

Seems to me that NAV should be smart enough to disable the preceding version.

...Jim Thompson

98?? There's your problem. I'm running Win2K, Firefox v1.04 for browsing, Agent v1.93 for news, and Eudora Pro v3.0.5 for E-mail. I might upgrade to Eudora Pro v4.3.2, since it has better search functions, if I can get over the "new" look ;-)

...Jim Thompson

I need to run a lot of DOS programs. I wrote most of them. I'm just not sure if they will survive more recent versions of Windoze.

--
Luhan Monat: luhanis(at)yahoo(dot)com
http://members.cox.net/berniekm
"Any sufficiently advanced magick is
indistinguishable from technology."
Reply to
Luhan Monat

I have a _few_ DOS programs... they seem to work OK under Win2K. But, AIUI, WinXP takes all control away from you to do such things... not even allowing parallel port use for anything other than printing.

...Jim Thompson

I suppose that WinXP is not going to like things like direct access to com ports, writing and reading to screen memory, 'borrowing' interrupt vectors, shutting down the real time clock, and occasionally disabling the hardware memory refresh??? ;}

--
Luhan Monat: luhanis(at)yahoo(dot)com
http://members.cox.net/berniekm
"Any sufficiently advanced magick is
indistinguishable from technology."
Reply to
Luhan Monat

Ditto with 5.1 & 5.2 paid version.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I put together a computer with Win2K, Netscape 7.2, Norton AV and Eudora 6.2 . NAV indicates that e-mail is configured and protected. But in Eudora, it is not possible to get e-mails unless i re-configure Eudora to totally bypass NAV. I have tried variants of user name. POP "name", etc to no avail; only the plain not-NAV-related addresses work.

I have a similar problem with NAV on another system, where it is not possible to get it to work with NS 7.2 e-mail.

Is this a known problem with NAV? Is there a fix (at least for the first problem)?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Since all the major AV products were bought by big corporates they've gone steadily downhill. I've heard of both MacAfee and NAV causing various problems.

Try AVG - it's free for personal use. It works too.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

That sounds odd. I run Eudora 6.2.0.14 - in paid mode nowadays, for the spam blocker - with Norton Anti-Virus 10.0.1.13 (with automatic updates enabled) under Windows XP SP2 (Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build

2600) and I've never had any trouble getting or sending e-mails.

NAV does check the e-mails as they come in and as they go out, and that can take a few seconds with long attachments, and some incoming attachments get wiped because they contain viruses, but that is it.

Are you sure that your computer is virus-free?

The other partition of the computer is running SuSE Linux 9.3 professional (since yesterday, when I upgraded from 9.2) but since I still can't get it recognise my Alcatel Speedtouch USB ADSL modem, I don't use it much.

------------- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

Looks like the combo works under WinXP but not Win98. My combo of Mozilla/Email and AntiVir seems to work well on Win98. However, I seldom use my native account for email. Yahoo scans for viruses. Better them than me.

NAV screwed up so many things on my system, that I just blew off the $60 I paid for it and went back to AntiVir. As far as I'm concerned, if Norton cant make it work right on Win98, they should not sell it for that OS.

--
Luhan Monat: luhanis(at)yahoo(dot)com
http://members.cox.net/berniekm
"Any sufficiently advanced magick is
indistinguishable from technology."
Reply to
Luhan Monat
[snip]

Are you fully upgraded on your Win98? The only copy of Win98 I ever had contact with was on my wife's machine and it was a dog. I did every upgrade in the book before it became even reasonably stable.

My OS history started at DOS -> WFW 3.11 -> WinNT 3.51 -> WinNT 4.0 ->

Win2K

I never did Win98 and, judging from the wife's machine, I'm so glad ;-)

...Jim Thompson

My system is quite stable other than NAV. There were a few other programs that worked a bit poorly, but didn't disable the computer.

I bought a full-install Win98 disc some time ago ($200). The upgrades on the Micro$oft site have been known to actually make problems or just slow up the computer.

--
Luhan Monat: luhanis(at)yahoo(dot)com
http://members.cox.net/berniekm
"Any sufficiently advanced magick is
indistinguishable from technology."
Reply to
Luhan Monat

That's my recollection as well, but it still had quirks. Last summer I bought the wife a faster machine and put Win2K on it also... end of problems altogether.

...Jim Thompson

The problem mentioned is seen on a brand new computer, fresh out the gate. I do not think that running under Win2K or under WinXP makes any difference. However, your version of NAV us newer; mine is NAV 2001 ver 7.00.51F . Perhaps the newer version is smarter?

Reply to
Robert Baer

I understand that Win98 was a bit of a dog, but that Win98Se fixed most of the problems.

Reply to
Robert Baer
[snip]

Sheeeesh! Are you even on subscription for updates? One of the past versions, can't remember which now, had some severe problems with other programs... something to do with LiveUpdate. But they issued a fix within days of it cropping up.

...Jim Thompson

Hmmmmm! I found the fix on their website when I had the problem. IIRC it was as simple as deleting the original Liveupdate.exe and then clicking the Liveupdate button in NAV to restore everything.

Are you paying annual subscription? If not, you are SOL.

...Jim Thompson