OT: Name of Truss Nail Plates

I'm looking for the truss nail plates they use instead of nailing joints in trusses. These plates have stamped points bent out of the plane of the plate which are driven into the wood and anchor like nails.

I found lots of Mending Plates but the catalog specifically says not to use them in truss applications. Meanwhile the catalog shows something just like the Mending Plates in every truss drawing they provide.

So what are they called when used on trusses? I can't find them under Truss Connectors or by searching on Plate. I'm looking online and in the Simpson Strong-Tie catalog.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Those are pressed into place. There is a science to it, and it requires a calibrated machine. You see a few fools hammering them in place, but they don't know what they're doing and end up with weak trusses.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

I'd be surprised if anywhere sells them. Small scale buyer market size must be very close to zero.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I have bought them before, but I'll admit it was many years ago. This is what I'm thinking about.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Gusset ?

Reply to
Martin Riddle

:

nts in

he

to use

st like

r Truss

impson

a calibrated machine. You see a few fools hammering them in place, but the y don't know what they're doing and end up with weak trusses.

st be very close to zero.

They should be available to small truss building enterprises. There's somet hing about pressing versus hammering that causes the small blades in connec tor plate to wedge into the wood fibers, versus smashing through them by ha mmering, that makes for a strong permanent bond. If it's a home project, he 's better off making triangular gussets cut from 1/2" OSB.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Bob Engelhardt

Not the same thing. Everyone sells these, but I think the nail part is shorter and they are designed for repairing pallets and such. The Simpson catalog specifically say not to use them for trusses. I guess Bloggs is right, they just don't sell them for individuals to use.

That's ok, I have a better idea anyway.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Bob Engelhardt wrote on 8/11/2017 3:08 PM:

Yes, I found that, but the catalog linked to on that page does not contain that product.

--

Rick C
Reply to

The trade name is 'gang nail'..

TTman

You probably don't see them because trusses hand-made with them won't be to code. If you want to make trusses, you can use plywood braces, as long as they're nailed properly.

Reply to
krw

Particularly since you can't get a CO for a building made with them.

Reply to
krw

"gang-nail" is the generic term here-abouts. (hmm, seems to be a band name)

The ones for trusses are for press application instead of hammer application. unless you have a sutable press to apply them to the joint the result may be less than ideal.

Jasen Betts