OT: More Sunday Joy...

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

That's not going to fix anything. Their system is broken.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

In the late 80's, when Democrats started talking about socialized medicine for the first time in decades, Republicans had the sense to point out that the government already provided health care to veterans and Indians, and they got the worst in the country. Since then no one has thought to mention it.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

ing-people/

Medicare for all does not entail government provided services like the decr epit VA. Health care still remains private. The VA is supposed to privatize health care for all but veterans specific problems like prosthetics, rare cancers and whatever. All the common stuff like heart disease, diabetes, hy pertension, and whatever would be provided by the doctor of their choice an d reimbursed by the VA. That plan makes much more sense. The government can 't make anything work.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

iring-people/

crepit VA. Health care still remains private. The VA is supposed to privati ze health care for all but veterans specific problems like prosthetics, rar e cancers and whatever. All the common stuff like heart disease, diabetes, hypertension, and whatever would be provided by the doctor of their choice and reimbursed by the VA. That plan makes much more sense. The government c an't make anything work.

The governments of every other advanced industrial country can make univers al health care work. The US needs a better constitution, and a better elect oral system - proportional representation and nice big multi-representative electoral districts would help.

That would give the place better government - one that could make universal health care and universal education work. The well-off wouldn't like it, s ince they'd have to pay more taxes immediately, and it would take years bef ore a better trained and healthier work force earned them enough in extra p rofits to cover the extra tax load.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

That would collapse far too many empires...

Reply to
Bill Martin

It looks like the VA _is_ going over to "doctor of their choice and reimbursed by the VA".

A fellow traveler in my recent cancer "adventure", from Show Low, AZ, was at Ironwood Cancer & Research Center (Chandler, AZ) getting treatment for prostate cancer, reimbursed by the VA... including his daily 200+ mile round trip travel expenses!

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

That would be the "Veterans Choice" Program, I think. The miles to nearest treatment facility that VA operates can trigger the Choice program, although I initially heard that there was a big run-around involved in getting any service...maybe better now?

Reply to
Bill Martin

Appears so, Thankfully! ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

firing-people/

Here is an example that works I did not have a need for it but heard from fellow expats that the system is good.

They have their costs under control:

686$ against 4373US$ per person/year (number from 1999).
--
Reinhardt
Reply to

Granted this is from 1999, however it appears that Canada could possibly gain knowledge from this study as well.

Of course Taiwan is a relatively small country so some costs will be mitigated (distance to hospitals, doctors, etc.) but it is an interesting study none the less. I wonder how much has changed in the last 18 years?

Thanks for sharing that!

John

Reply to
John Robertson

Maybe we should repeal the VA and then give some thought to replacing it. But by all means let's start with shutting it down.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Sure. Shut down the VA and pay private hospitals to take care of our veterans. Great idea! Fire *all* of the bureaucrats!

Reply to
krw

Of course the numbers are really comparable directly because the cost of living is much lower than in the US. I was shocked when I visited Florida in April and saw the prices there compared to what I pay at home in TW. But still the NHI in TW today seems to have better control over prices even if they have the same problem as anywhere: aging population and thus increasing costs.

--
Reinhardt
Reply to

Everything is better and less expensive anywhere than in the US >:-}

KMA ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

S/KMA/So stay home./

Reply to
krw

It sure gets hard to figure out who is being sarcastic about what.

Jasen Betts

Hint: I'm not.

Reply to
krw

Sarcasm is way above krw's pay grade. His ideas are ridiculous, but he's unaware of that.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

stem

ly

ven

When it comes to healthcare this is generally true. US health care is prett y good, as long as you have the insurance to pay for it, but it costs half as much again more than the most extravagant competition. All the competiti on offers universal health care, so their performance for the population as whole is decidedly better. No US right-winger can get their head around th is.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to