OT: Moon Landing

Gentlemen,

As we approach the 50th anniversary of the 'first manned moon landing' as it were, I'm just wondering what proportion of the group believe the whole thing was just an elaborate hoax for whatever reason?

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

On a sunny day (Sun, 14 Jul 2019 13:59:01 -0000 (UTC)) it happened Cursitor Doom wrote in :

In those days I was running the head control room in the TV station, we did that in shifts. We had to relay the picture from the satellite link to the viewers in my country. All went well until in one of those moon landings the astronut pointed the camera at the sun and no more picture. Good reaction test to fault find where it went wrong, was not my shift, was watching at home. All fake of course ;-)

It was a fun time, I told my boss call me anytime day and night. Those moon landings united a lot of people and people got a lot of respect for US technology.

Things have changed. I an waiting for Chinese restaurants on mars, they have good food... Any 'merrycan landing there will likely have to pay landing rights and bring some renminbi.

Russia just launched a new Xray telescope. project together with Germany I think.

US cannot even do a manned return trip to the ISS.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

We're to busy fighting an alien invasion! :-)

Reply to
amdx

The question is just to stupid to entertain. But I have to ad, this morning I saw the seamstresses from Platex even got in on the hoax of sewing moon suits together. I was about 14 then and my mom let me stay up late to watch it. I remember how crummy the video was.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

An interesting argument I've seen against there being any kind of fakery going on is that the video processing technology to take the video footage of astronauts on some set somewhere jumping around, and seamlessly process it to slow it down to make it look like they were in a lower gravity environment, or process all that video to remove some kind of harness they were using on the set, like they do with CGI editing now in films, didn't exist in 1969.

and developing a supercomputer with mid 1960s technology that could do that kind of seamless video DSP might have been possible, but the cost and labor required would have approached the budget required for the moon shot

Reply to
bitrex

Cursitor Doom wrote in news:qgfcf5$1tb$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

My birthday is today.

I was 9 plus two days on the launch and 9 plus 7 days on the landing.

My friend's birthday is the 21st.

I watched everything in real time. I had a G.I. Joe Gemini capsule with the orange 45 rpm recording of John Glenn's mission and a Testors' Saturn 5 and an LEM model.

I have seen command module at the Smithsonian along with a saturn 5 booster engine.

Of course we did it. We are the masters of controlling fire.

How else do you think we got all those great flat earth pictures?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

It might as well have been. Either real or hoax, nothing came of it. Just more circus for the nitwits, and nerd welfare of course.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Many /educated/ Russians (cf uneducated Merkins) refuse to believe the moon landings were real. But that's due to political and face-saving reasons.

As for "nothing came of it", that's a perfect segway into the "Life of Brian" skit about "what the Romans did for us".

Tom Gardner

Fighting?? Co-operating with it more like.

Reply to
Chris

Chris wrote in news:qgfl3e$1tb$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

If you don't like it, you can declare yourself to be one, and we can find a nice big circus cannon to punt you back over with.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

It was real enough, but expensive, dangerous, and useless. Like the ISS.

"Exploring space" is an oxymoron.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

Mmmm... General Tso's moon rock.

--
  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Rick C

John Larkin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You would not even have had this forum to state that stupid shit in, much less the device on which to do it.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

as

x even

ch it.

Duh, obviously they couldn't do it with 60's technology. They did it with

3000's technology the time traveler brought.

Don't play dumb and ask me "what time traveler?"

--
  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Rick C

A bunch of lies and self-serving propaganda. No credibility to any of those claims.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Rick C wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

snip

Phobos or Deimos?

Oh and that would be "Moon Rock Cafe"

And it would be "General Yang" (And His Moon Rockers).

From the last Mummy movie.

I'd rather it be owned by Michelle Yeoh though.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Rick C wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

For all you dopes know, that person has been me... all along.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Manned spaceflight did not contribute to usenet. I can't think of anything useful that manned spaceflight has provided us. It cost a fortune and killed some good people. The moon rocks could have been gathered by a robot, and weren't very interesting anyhow. A lot of moon rocks have been lost.

We could have funded some serious science for the cost of each shuttle flight.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

do not know if I am reading John Larkin or left-wing extremist rhetoric. What have u done with the real JL??

Reply to
bitrex

What has manned spaceflight accomplished? Dollars and deaths. Spam in a can.

Sure, astronauts repaired Hubble. But we could have launched scores Hubbles and built scores of world-class radio telescopes for the cost of the ISS, and killed no-one in the process.