OT: Monitoring CPU temperature?

If it's a standard CPU (muffin) "type" fan, you're compounding the problem by oiling it. Get yourself some alcohol and clean it thoroughly. You will just have to put up with a little noise until you can replace the fan. What is the CPU type??

MBM-5 is a very good monitoring utility.

--
Regards,
Gary

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought,
but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Albert Einstein
Reply to
Gary

My PC was 'frozen' yesterday morning, and when I eventually got it restarted it booted to BIOS. There I found the CPU temperature, displayed in red, was soaring, plainly due to the CPU fan failing. (I had re-oiled it a month or so ago, and had not yet got around to replacing it; now paying price for that .)

I'm seeking a replacement (separate OT post) but meanwhile have re-oiled it yet again and am up and running once more.

So: is there some way to get that CPU temperature displayed while in Windows (XP Home)? Or can that only be done from BIOS?

--
Terry Pinnell
Hobbyist, West Sussex, UK

Usually, you have a tool that comes with your motherboard. If not, you can always use MBM5 :

OBones

Thanks both. Duly downloaded and installed MBM-5 and about to reboot then try it.

CPU is AMD Athlon, in MESH XP1800 PC.

--
Terry Pinnell
Hobbyist, West Sussex, UK

If MBM5 is too old (development stopped), have a look at SpeedFan, it works fine on my PC here.

OBones