OT: Monarch Butterflies need your help

Got an email saying Monarch Butterflies need our help, and asking for donations. A better solution: plant and encourage milkweed flowers. This year we had not only non-native, but also indigenous varieties, weeds, really. Don't pull them out! We had seven different large plants, and they were home for many Monarch's all summer. They stayed for many days, and rarely went to a different type of flower.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

We had clouds of Monarchs last month. Driving out I80, it looked like a mass aerial attack. We thought they were bats at first. Our car grille was filled with smashed butterflies and the windshield was a mess.

Things like Monarchs lay a lot of eggs, ca 500. So a very small population in a bad year can create a huge population the next year.

lunatic fringe electronics
Reply to
jlarkin

The south shore beaches of LI here ususally have loads of Monarchs in September. They seem to like to hang out on the dune grass. Milkweed is also a popular plant in cemetaries.

Martin Riddle

here a few cities have started replacing grass along roads and such with a mix of wild flowers

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Reply to
George Herold
: