OT: Modern day equivalent to sendmail?

Is there a modern day equivalent to sendmail?

My Eudora E-mail client can run an executable upon command of an incoming filter match.

I simply want to send an E-mail saying "E-mail received from..." to my cellphone (actually text... snipped-for-privacy@vtext.com). ...Jim Thompson

This is how it's done in our area. From the Sasktel website:

"In the "To" field, enter the 10-digit SaskTel wireless phone snipped-for-privacy@sms.sasktel.com (for example, snipped-for-privacy@sms.sasktel.com)".

You can check if your local provider has a similar sms service.

HTH

Reply to
Randy Day

A different way of doing the same thing is to give that person a unique email to send to which is routed both to your regular email address and to the cell phone. I have done this with a number of email addresses. In essence instead of being a mailbox, the address is a mailing list which is forwarded to any email addresses you wish.

One example is email from my ISP or financial institutions are routed both to my Eudora email client but also to a Yahoo email address so I have access to it in case my computer crashes or is otherwise compromised.

--

Rick
Reply to

If you load Perl for windows then NTsendmail may work.

Martin Riddle

Look at this

windows-task-scheduler/

watch the wrap

--
Chisolm
Republic of Texas

Eudora can run from the command line and can spawn additional copies of itself from the command line. For example, try from the CMD prompt:

"C:\Program Files\Qualcomm\Eudora\Eudora.exe" mailto:Your_Cell snipped-for-privacy@vtext.com?subject=You_Got_Mail

That should all be on one line. I don't have Eudora running to try it.

There are other command line parameters that can be used, but I can't find the list. This is the best I could find:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

sendmail mainly...

you could try mail, nail, mailx, heirloom mailx, thebat!, and sendmail. to name a few.

--
umop apisdn
Reply to

Rather than writing "watch the wrap", put < and > around the link:

Reply to
David Brown

I would put together a few lines of Python script - the built-in SMTP library makes sending emails easy.

Reply to
David Brown

Forgot about that - Thanks

--
Chisolm
Republic of Texas

Good lead! This works...

C:\Eudora\Eudora.exe C:\Eudora\Messages\test.msg

Where test.msg has all the guts, To:, From:, Subject:, Body

...Jim Thompson

It looks like your newsreader screws up < > links too, by being obsessive about line lengths. Newsreaders should /not/ break such links into multiple lines, even if it means the line length is too long - it's okay if the link wanders off beyond the right-hand margin when you read the post (unlike normal text, which should have limited line length).

So unless you can change Pan's settings to fix this, or you change your newsreader (which would seem a drastic solution), then you are probably going to have to keep adding a "watch the wrap" note to long links.

Reply to
David Brown

makes a difference in some software and makes no difference at all in other software.

Some software lets you post long lines, some doesn't, but the software that treats as special and otherwise breaks long lines has one bad effect. every time spmeone posts a broken link one of the users of such sofware will blindly proclaim as the solution regardless of wether it actually helps or not.

potentially pan's source could be changed.

--
umop apisdn
Reply to

I knew that some of the older text-based unix newsreaders do not support < > links, but I thought most others did. Although it is not (AFAIK) part of any official RFC, it has become a common de-facto standard - and I think it is fair to guess that the substantial majority of Usenet posters use a client that supports it. So unless I know otherwise (and now I do, in the case of Pan), I assume that a random poster's newsclient supports it, and that the poster merely forgot (or was unaware of < > links).

Does slrn work with < > links?

Indeed it could. But it could be a long wait, unless Joe wants to do it himself.

Reply to
David Brown

Seems to be reader-dependent. Agent does not wrap any URL contained by , at least outgoing. ...Jim Thompson

my

windows-task-scheduler/>

Like i reported before < and > do not always help. The URL wrapped again anyway.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

Slrn places no special meaning on those characters, with or without each line can be any lenght I desire it to be.

when I send it will warn me, I only have to press F to force it.

--
umop apisdn
Reply to

to my

again

Well i use Agent on this end. So the issue may be subtler still. I normally wrap for easier readability, That may change it.

??-)

Reply to
josephkk

The allows some newsreaders (I'm using Thoth) to deduce the correct URL despite the wrap.

In any event, the can only help.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

If you are using t-bird as a reader none of this matters. I find if I select the wrapped link I still get a "open in browser" option in the right click menu that works correctly.

--

Rick
Reply to