OT Lawyers

Hi all, sorry for the OT post.. looking for advice. First the sad (but a bit glad) news. My mum passed away from Alzheimer's ~two weeks ago. I've been missing her for at least a year and am mostly feeling relieved, she had enough money to pay for full time care in her home and died there.

OK, now I'm looking for a lawyer to help settle her estate. (only my brother and I, no complications.) I went to visit the lawyer where her will was drawn up. I left with this gross, icky feeling. I won't describe the entire talk, but it got around to cost. This is NY state and he pulled out some recommended formula that gives them a percentage of her estate. ~3.5-4% depending on the size. What really bothered me was that I asked for a guesstimate of costs if the total was $700k. He said $15k, which I wrote down. I got home and went through the formula he'd given me... $25k! Bait and switch?

I went to talk with another lawyer who had done my will. Nicer guy, but he said this was standard. And then said to think of it as Robin Hood. "What I asked?"

"Giving from the rich to the poor." With some sort of impression that he didn't make as much money closing the estates of poorer people.

I'm going to talk to a third lawyer, and also get some clarification on the number given by the first lawyer... maybe he will do it for less, but then that has to go into the contract.

Anyway any advice? Again this is NY state.

Thanks, George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I am sorry for your loss, but glad that you seem to be handling it as well as can be expected.

Too late for your mom's situation, but this is one of the major benefits of Living Trusts - avoiding probate.

this link provides some interesting information:

I don't know your background or pain level, but you may want to handle this probate yourself. Or at least get educated and tell the next lawyer you visit this is what you are thinking, unless he can make it worth your while to use his services (i.e. at a low cost to you).

What are the assets in the estate? How are they to be distributed?

You might also stop by the court and talk to the clerks - often times the courts will be particularly helpful to someone trying to handle their own, not very complicated, matters.

Reply to
Taxed and Spent

Hi George, have you looked into a Notary Public? If the will is uncontested then it should be fairly simple and inexpensive to have it probated.

Searching on Google with the terms "probate will notary new york fee" had the first listing of an ad for $2,500 flat probate fee. This is an ad, and may not be valid, but I would certainly talk with your local Notary Public!

Many lawyers are simply land sharks, there are alternatives...shop around!

John :-#)#

Reply to
John Robertson

Notaries Public cannot practice law. If you find a Notary that says they can probate your will, run, run, RUN!

Reply to
Taxed and Spent

Sorry for your loss. If I was in your situation I suspect I would feel the same.

Do you /have/ to involve lawyers? They can be very adept at draining assets into their pockets.

In the UK the executors are normally not lawyers and are often the beneficiaries. So long as there are no disagreements, the major issue that you can't get hold pf the money until the probate has been granted - which can only happen after inheritance taxes have been paid.

When my father died, the IHT calculation was a b*tch, but otherwise we just followed the instructions in the booklet we were given when he died.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Nice, thanks.

The assets are fairly simple with only my brother and me. 50/50 split. There is a house, but for the short term we will hang onto it and rent it. (It's a duplex, I think I might buy it in the future, but we can work that out.) She did put 1/2 of here assets in a trust, and I don't really know how that counts. The trust was started 4-5 years ago and there is some time till it is fully in our names.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I don't really have any advice but I'm very sorry for your loss. My maternal aunt passed two years ago from the disease after being in a care home for significantly longer. Best wishes going forward

Reply to
bitrex

Thanks Tom, I'm the executor, (oldest child) I did this ~20 years ago when my father passed away. I recall spending a few $k on a lawyer. My mum had an accountant and he will take care of any taxes.

I don't mind paying for service, but I hate the feeling that I just have to bend over and take it.

George h.

Reply to
George Herold

Thanks, it's a terrible F-ing disease. I'm thinking I should get a massive dose of morphine or something to take care of myself if I have it. I was worried about what we would do if she lived for another 2-3 years.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Which is your main problem, I suspect. Of all the states; of all the countries in the world.... you happen to be in that one. You really *must* get some independent feedback from previous clients and select the firm that gets the best marks. If you don't do this, you're begging to get right-royally screwed over.

Cursitor Doom

I paid a bunch of money to a lawyer to settle my mother's estate, and he proved to be essentially useless, aside from transcribing information provided by me onto various forms I could have filled out myself. When I did the same for a friend who designated me as executor I used a lawyer only to draft the will, no other legal services were required. I am in PA not NY so things will be different there, but I suggest discussing the matter with your local county registrar of wills before hiring a lawyer. An in-person visit with the original will, death certificate and a checkbook could get you out the door with the documents needed to start settling the estate, primarily the "Short Forms" needed to open an estate bank account and sell/distribute the estate assets. Forms and a description of the process may be available at some state web site also, as a preliminary to the in-person visit that will eventually be required.

I hope it goes smoothly whichever route you take.

Regards, Glen

Reply to
glen walpert

Absolutely. In NY State there's also the high possibility that the

*STATE* will grab a big percentage as well :-(

Then there's the FSA (Freedom States of America)... we here in AZ don't even need a lawyer to buy or sell a house ;-) ...Jim Thompson

       Antifa's war cry, "No Trump, no wall, no USA at all!"
       Victory for Antifa would be the destruction of society.

             -Hector Morenco (@hectormorenco) August 28, 2017

Actually it won't.  What it's going to be is the end of the
Democrat Party... good riddance!

Should have added... a properly written Will in AZ doesn't even go to probate. ...Jim Thompson

       Antifa's war cry, "No Trump, no wall, no USA at all!"
       Victory for Antifa would be the destruction of society.

             -Hector Morenco (@hectormorenco) August 28, 2017

Actually it won't.  What it's going to be is the end of the
Democrat Party... good riddance!

That is a very misleading statement. "If the deceased did not have any assets or if no assets remain titled in the name of the deceased then a probate is not necessary unless the purpose of the probate is to give notice to the deceased?s creditors and require them to file a claim with the personal representative or have their claim barred forever."

Reply to
Taxed and Spent

Sounds like the assets are below the NY threshold for estate tax.

You don't even need a lawyer to buy or sell a house in California.

Reply to
Taxed and Spent

I mis-spoke... should be "probate *court*". Notice to creditors is required via a simple notice in newspapers of "record". ...Jim Thompson

       Antifa's war cry, "No Trump, no wall, no USA at all!"
       Victory for Antifa would be the destruction of society.

             -Hector Morenco (@hectormorenco) August 28, 2017

Actually it won't.  What it's going to be is the end of the
Democrat Party... good riddance!

That surprises me! Most of the Democrat-controlled states are awash in bureaucratic procedures. ...Jim Thompson

       Antifa's war cry, "No Trump, no wall, no USA at all!"
       Victory for Antifa would be the destruction of society.

             -Hector Morenco (@hectormorenco) August 28, 2017

Actually it won't.  What it's going to be is the end of the
Democrat Party... good riddance!

adding "court" changes nothing.

Reply to
Taxed and Spent

This must be a throw back to when california was, well, not today's california.

Reply to
Taxed and Spent

I have just been through your exact situation in NJ. Before you decide to use lawyers pay a visit or call your local surrogate's court, they are extremely helpful and will give you an idiots guide to probate. (My attorney told me to do it myself as the estate was simple as yours sounds) I did everything myself, no problems. Sorry you had to go through the Alzheimers thing, its awful.

Reply to
JC