OT: Laugh of the day... LONG

LONG, but take note of the required "qualifications" >:-}

Job description:

Research Scientist (2 positions available) Arizona State University, Tempe campus Office of Knowledge Enterprise Development

Full-time: (40 hours per week)

Salary Range: DOE

Close Date: September 8, 2014, 11:59 pm Arizona time; applications will continue to be accepted and reviewed every two weeks until the position is filled

Job Description: In an effort to anticipate and mitigate the national security risks associated with climate change, the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (NGA) has awarded Arizona State University a grant of $20 million. This five-year partnership known as the Foresight Initiative will examine how climate change affects resources and contributes to political unrest, as well as articulate sustainability and resilience strategies.

The Office of Knowledge Enterprise Development is looking for a Research Scientist to work with an interdisciplinary team on a large-scale research project to explore the effects of climate change on resources, such as water, food and energy, could contribute to political unrest and instability, and gain insights to sustainability and resilience strategies for mitigating the effects.

The role of the Research Scientist position is to develop new scientific research, modeling and tools to allow analysts and decision-makers to dynamically interact with diverse data sets in a real-time modeling and simulation environment.

More information on the project is available at

and at

Essential Duties:

Minimum Qualifications:

Desired Qualifications:

science and/or engineering, cognitive science, human systems modeling, collaboration and decision making, persuasion, scientific approaches to narrative, social movements, socio-political conflict situation awareness, intelligence analysis.

document research results

variety of formats

organizations

Working Environment: Activities are performed in an environmentally controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting, keyboarding and manipulating a computer mouse; frequently required to stand for varying lengths of time and walk moderate distances to perform work. Occasional bending, reaching, lifting, pushing and pulling up to 25 pounds. Regular activities require ability to quickly change priorities which may include and/or are subject to resolution of conflicts. Ability to clearly communicate verbally, read, write, see and hear to perform essential functions. Regular use of standard office equipment including, but not limited to: computer workstation/laptop (keyboard, monitor, mouse), printer, fax, calculator, copier, telephone and associated computer/technology peripherals. This position receives regular review of objectives.

Department Statement: The Office of Knowledge Enterprise Development is committed to Advancing Research, Innovation, Entrepreneurship and Economic Development. We seek research funding, support faculty researchers, nurture partnerships with external partners, promote innovation and entrepreneurship, and share what we learn with the community and the world. We make discovery possible.

ASU Statement: Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 70,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe. ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit

Arizona State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.

ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.

Background Check: ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications. Employment is contingent up successful passing of the background check.

Instructions to Apply: Application deadline is 11:59PM Arizona time on the date indicated.

Please send CV and cover letter to snipped-for-privacy@asu.edu. Application materials should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meet the minimum and desired qualifications stated above.

Only electronic applications are accepted.

ASU does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated. ...Jim Thompson

On Sat, 06 Sep 2014 07:50:27 -0700, Jim Thompson Gave us:

Snip

SHORT

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

What got to me was this...

Minimum Qualifications:

That's the bloody problem with AGW "science"... non-scientific personnel... the warm and fuzzy crowd. ...Jim Thompson

On Sat, 06 Sep 2014 10:27:44 -0700, Jim Thompson Gave us:

The "politician" character in "The Hunt for Red October".

But at least *that* guy *was* smart. God help us, as statistically most are not, regardless of credential(s).

The next 50 years should be an interesting ride for Americans.

A general rule to shoot looters on sight would sure curtail a lot of that tendency though.

We'll see.

Maybe I am the Pale Horse.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

They're totally clueless IOW.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Grant mining at its finest.

$20 mil.

Reply to
Tom Miller

It's more of just another example of the government thinking they can get anything done by throwing enough money at it. All they end up doing is throwing money away, and not getting anything done.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Is this type of job description normal in western countries? Makes me wonder what the employer's liability would be if the employee had to lift 26 pounds at work at some point in the future.

Reply to
Pimpom

Having spent nine and a half years as a contract researcher, I can tell you one thing. That job description is University-Speak for allowing them to hire whom they want, once they do the mandatory external interviews A depa rtment usually have pre-designated candidates in mind when they use that s et of language.

It is not really intended to be a binding description.

Steve

Reply to
SwonceUponaTime

Yep. I've been on the losing end of that kind of arrangement several times :-( ...Jim Thompson

So it is your position that the Islamicists are murdering people because they didn't get their Big Mac today?

I suppose that's about your usual level of thinking.

Reply to
krw

Appaently it's the policially correct form of "Cripples need not apply"

--
umop apisdn
Reply to

ne

.. the warm and fuzzy crowd.

The job was in looking at the social consequences of anthropogenic global w arming - the (perfectly respectable) scientific basis for predicting that a nthropogenic global warning is going to keep on getting worse was taken as read.

Jim-out-of-touch-with-reality-Thompson hasn't got a clue about any of it, c ombined with a child-like confidence that he knows enough about it to make the public comments that label him as under-informed.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydeny
Reply to

This sounds just like the local research instutitions here. You have to know someone to get in.

Martin Riddle

you one thing. That job description is University-Speak for allowing them to hire whom they want, once they do the mandatory external interviews A department usually have pre-designated candidates in mind when they use th at set of language.

Though in Jim's case, having people inside the institution who did know him probably wouldn't have helped him. This is the guy who claims to have reported me to the FBI for having a dangerously anti-American attitude. Insufficiently adulatory would probably have been more accurate, but there's a big gap between not admiring the USA enough, and being dangerous to it.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

ne

Well, the "social scientists" need to prop themselves up with something to appear relevant and worthwhile.

Reply to
dakupoto

Any reader than can't handle "Format=flowed" (rfc-2646) is less advanced.

--
umop apisdn

Jasen Betts

line

l... the warm and fuzzy crowd.

warming - the (perfectly respectable) scientific basis for predicting that anthropogenic global warning is going to keep on getting worse was taken a s read.

combined with a child-like confidence that he knows enough about it to mak e the public comments that label him as under-informed.

There're a couple of things going on here the mental midgets are missing. T he funds originate within Defense so they were probably steered to ASU by n utcase McCain. Secondly, the fact of this being a Defense funded "research" means it's totally factitious. All they're looking for, and the frauds at ASU know this, is a rationalization for developing new technologies of weap ons and intelligence systems that can be used to control domestic disturban ces and unrest likely to result from the coming resource shortages and rati oning.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

The idea that people shouldn't be able to hire whomever they damn well want to hire is a travesty--a clear violation of the right to free association. That sort of state intrusion demands resistance at all levels. To hire the right person, you more or less have to write his/her resume into the job description.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

l you one thing. That job description is University-Speak for allowing the m to hire whom they want, once they do the mandatory external interviews A department usually have pre-designated candidates in mind when they use t hat set of language.

If you take government funding, you have to conform to the rules...

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred