OT: Kodak AC adaptor failure

Kodak AC adaptor failure. I have a little Kodak(tm) picture frame, very nice, it sequences nice JPGs from SDcard all day.. Stopped working. Checked power wallwart...

5.5 V what it needed to be. Put the picture frame on 5V lab supply, about 1A, and it worked. So looked like the wallwart could not deliver the 1 A anymore,

Ordered a new one from ebay last night, but curiosity, maybe I can use parts of this in some project...

Needed breaking apart and dremeling to open it, this I found:

2 680uF 10V electrolytics in parallel in the output clearly could not handle the 1A ripple: OTOH the thing is now almost 10 years old (from 2004), on 24/7.

Looked like a nice design:

Could have cause some problems, not sure it it could have started a fire:

Decided to fix it, replaced those electrolytics and also the Schottky diode, as its leads were sort of partly etched away. Did some rework on the plastic...

Does not even look bad...

And now: can be repaired, one less item for the junk yard. WHY do they not use screws ??????? They make laws for a standard connector, to reduce the number of adaptors. Yet these thing all die anyways, as repair is next to impossible. Maybe just some politician got fed up with carrying those adaptors from Brussels to Strasbourg... and back LOL I did my part for the environment today.

And now when those from ebay arrive... Those are black, and do not look so nice.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Wed, 22 Jan 2014 22:53:03 +1100) it happened Sylvia Else wrote in :

Yes, but think of the jobs it would create, and the expertise it would create... poly-ticians like that.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Sadly, unless one has the skills to do the repair oneself, it is not likely to be economic, which means that the cost of the screws (which includes the environmental cost of making them), as well as the cost of fitting them, would be carried for every adapter for the sake of the very small number that would be repaired.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Made by Phihong- they're a reputable manufacturer of this kind of stuff.

Cost, and they have to be made tamperproof to keep idiots from electrocuting themselves and their next-of-kin launching lawsuits.

Doing your part for the economy means not wasting $100 worth of time for $5 worth of electronics.

If they're as badly made as a lot of the crap out there (especially wot comes via eBay), I would not suggest looking at your photos whilst relaxing in the tub.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

On a sunny day (Wed, 22 Jan 2014 08:53:34 -0500) it happened Spehro Pefhany wrote in :

It all depends, i am retired so i can charge myself, but it was fun doing it, and no money can buy that,

I must heve been lucky, I have, let's see... now 6 ee-bay adaptors in use, for example for video camera, radiation counter, subtitle generator, RF detector charger, tri_pic experiment, Rubidium frequency reference supply, all been in use for a while, some 24/7 at max load. LED lights! also plugged in 24/7...

IMHO visual contact, as the lightwaves do not conduct tricity a lot (AFAIK) should be safe when the mains isolation is bad.... But I would not even use an 0bama administration _certified_ phone charger in a bathtube... :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Instead of a screw, use a better capacitor.

Reply to
Tom Miller

nice save as I'd say.

let's face it, we're repair types and sometimes it's fun to just fix something even though it's technically cheaper to replace.

I cut a piece of barstock into a bolt a couple weeks ago. While it burned sometime I don't need 99 extras if I just ordered a pack of them from a fastener supply house.

As for no screws in power adapters it's for safety and cost. As you saw, opening those heat sealed or glued together power adapters is a challenge, and they're quite durable overall. Anybody that can fix them can open them up anyways.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

And of course those with the talent to repair electronics will always get these good deals. I got a 42 inch Panasonic plasma TV for the cost of two electros. The same for flat screen monitors. They always show up on the freecycle group and usual just need a few caps replaced. Once they are out of warranty, it cost too much for someone to get professional repairs done.

Reply to
Tom Miller

Death panel certified design.

--sp

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Nice photos! Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Nice photo, look like you shot them in macro mode or so

One PCB photo shows the name PHIHONG, sounds like Chinese kungfu movie :-)

Anyway I like the idea to make all of these things fix-able. Many people can make living from electronics repair, save the environment, and more important buy less of those cheap products

Many good reasons

Reply to
ccon67

On a sunny day (Wed, 22 Jan 2014 13:55:16 -0800 (PST)) it happened snipped-for-privacy@netscape.net wrote in :

Yes, canaon A470, maco, no flash, just a few cm away.

Yep. :-) Precious metals...

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

how much would you pay to get a $10 power supply fixed? and do you think anyone could make a living doing that?

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Not big $ to fix a $10 wal wart, but one can fix 10 of this in an hour ...

Reply to
ccon67

I still don't see how it could possibly add up

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Sure you can.

Reply to
krw

Alas, it wouldn't create jobs nor expertise, unless a tariff were imposed on new adaptors sufficient to make the repairs economic. Making repairs possible doesn't make them economic, and the jobs would not be created unless the repairs were economic.

I don't see such a tariff happening, because politicians would find it very hard to justify to an electorate who'd not be convinced of the environmental benefits.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Having read some writeups of wallwart stripdowns, I would not be relying on the isolation of any of them unless I'd pulled then apart and checked them myself.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Or that you could fix 10 in an hour. What if the pass transistor is blown? Or something else?

Reply to
Tom Miller

Especially the $10 ones.

Reply to