OT:Keyless entry

I just got a new Grand Cherokee Jeep with one of those Keyless entry systems that has an emergency key incase the remote fails.

I fully understand how to get into the jeep if I need to use this key how ever, my owners manual indicates, from what I can understand from the limited printing of it, that I am to remove the button that is normally used for the starting to gain access to the key hole.. Now that sounds all nice and everything how ever, after looking at the button and how it's recessed into the dash, there don't seem to be a logical shape on this button where one would be able to grab it for its removal to gain access to the key hole.. Do I need to pry something behind that plastic button to pop it off?

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Why not ask the guy who sold you the car?

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

You are supposed to use a 45 magnum with teflon coated bullets made with DU.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Me, I'd use a BFH, which would work just as well, and won't damage your hearing. But the satisfaction of the 45 can make up for the hearing loss, I agree.

--
I'm never going to grow up.
Reply to

--
http://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/jeep/index.jsp
Reply to

The Brat has a Rubicon. I was sort of shocked by the many quality lapses. The fasteners for the "removable" roof are a mess, get detached, don't line up, get galled and cross-threaded. The electrical connectors are horrible. She gets a continuous stream of recall notices. She just spent $500 replacing brake lines that got abraded rubbing against something or other. The seat belts are weird; move wrong, and they ratchet you in so you can barely breathe.

Well, maybe Fiat will improve quality in the future.

It is great to drive in snow.

John

"Jamie" wrote in message news:dVyIp.1406$z%. snipped-for-privacy@newsfe12.iad...

Plastic spoon and pry out. See

Martin Riddle

Sucker :-)

--
Dirk

http://www.neopax.com/technomage/ - My new book - Magick and Technology
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Just never ever forget to turn the lights off and hit yourself with a hammer because you bought a car with such a crap system. Correction: hit yourself twice with a hammer and your partner once for not warning you.

Someone I know spend 5 hours to get a rented car going. For some reason the extra key only worked on the rear door. Now picture a sedan. Get my point?

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Fiat? No-one in a right mind would buy a Fiat. Italian cars are infamous for their repair costs and lack of quality. There are only two types of cars you should buy: German or Japanese. And never buy the first generation of a model. Always buy a car for which the model has had several upgrades ('facelifts' as they call it).

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

"Martin Riddle" wrote in news:it0a6o$k5$1@dont- email.me:

Does the anti-theft steering wheel lock still exist on those cars with pushbutton start?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I rented a VW Golf in Frankfurt one time that decided that only the right hand passenger door would open, key, keyless whatever :-(

To boot, the gas door wouldn't open :-( ...Jim Thompson

Anyone with brains would have asked, when they bought the vehicle. If the dealer doesn't tell you, then don't buy their crap.

Michael A. Terrell

Yes. It's electric.

tm

Reply to
tm

Read your manual-- page 342 says:-

Removing the Button

  1. The ENGINE START/STOP button can be removed from the ignition switch for key fob use.

  1. Insert the metal part of the emergency key under the chrome bezel at the 6 o?clock position and gently pry the button loose.

A lot of formerly mechanical things seem to be going fly-by-wire-- the diesel manual 6-speed Peugot 3008 (IIRC) SUV I rented in the UK a week or so ago had an electric parking brake (button operated):

--
3008 is fitted with an electric parking brake as standard. The brake
automatically engages when the engine is switched off and releases

Thanks, My paper manual does not go into great details on how to remove it, it just says to remove it. I do have a CD that came with the car I haven't yet opened.

As for the hill assist, it seems that my Jeep has that function in it how ever, I find it strange that it only seems to work on a hill because I noticed on a flat, it is not engaged. As soon as I release the brake on a flat it starts to roll right away, on a hill, it'll hold when I release the brake for a short time! AFter that, If I don't accel, i'll be rolling back! The engine at idle does not hold the Jeep on the Hill, just the fact that when you release your brakes on the hill, it apparently keeps the brakes applied at the same pressure until you accel or when it times out.

Of course, if I feather the throttle, I can hold it on the hill. Oh well, just something to get used to..

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Wow! Thanks for the heads up. Now I know where not to shop.

John

Reply to
John S

The Brat has a Rubicon. I was sort of shocked by the many quality lapses. The fasteners for the "removable" roof are a mess, get detached, don't line up, get galled and cross-threaded. The electrical connectors are horrible. She gets a continuous stream of recall notices. She just spent $500 replacing brake lines that got abraded rubbing against something or other. The seat belts are weird; move wrong, and they ratchet you in so you can barely breathe.

Well, maybe Fiat will improve quality in the future.

It is great to drive in snow.

John

My kid had a Jeep Wrangler Trail Ready package, He never had any issues with it. The only problem he ever had was when he ended up going off the road down the side of an embankment to avoid hitting some deer at about

50 mph. The repair job consisted of a front transaxle and some plastic that got damaged.. other than that.. it was trouble free with all the toys and all. And he used to remove the hard top always in the summer.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Jim Thompson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

my 2003 Sentra 4-dr only has a key lock on the driver's door,the rest have to be opened from the inside or by remote. no pass-thru trunk,so that's not an option.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik