OT: Interesting study about fake news

How does getting permission from the government make you consider the ramifications of misusing an obviously deadly weapon? I guess you think that I'm a better person because I have permission from the government to carry a concealed weapon. It _must_ make me safer. Right?

Like you did above?

Reply to
krw

I don't change oil any more; I let the dealer do everything. Oil doesn't need changing often now.

There have always been all sorts of people... farmers, hunters, caregivers, warriors. I think that in a village, they knew one another and understood the functions. Now we have physically separated classes, coastal elites and flyover-land farmers and worker-guys. 100 cable TV channels and thousands of web news sites further the cultural separation. Not to mention a government that collects 20% of GDP and distributes more.

Those deplorable types without college degrees (their kids have useless degrees and hundreds of kilobucks in student debt) know that if they do something wrong, they will get hurt. Wells Fargo ripped off millions of them, clearly grand theft and conspiracy on a giant scale, but nobody from WF is going to jail.

Things are getting less civil.

lunatic fringe electronics

critically.

John likes research from people who aren't researchers, to paraphrase Trump's comment about McCain.

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Reply to
rickman

John Larkin wrote on 9/13/2017 11:13 PM:

Wow! What an amazing collection of unrelated information apparently to substantiate a totally unrelated conclusion.

When have we been free of oppression by the rich? That is how the world has always been. Today the "oppression" is very low level and usually harmless such as paying high fees to banks, cable companies and the like. Once in a while someone like Madoff pulls a grand caper no different from Bonnie and Clyde.

Don't know why you are calling anyone else deplorable. That term was coined to describe people like you who think it is good to put down and climb over the backs of others.

The part I really don't get is how 100+ cable channels has any part in the grand conspiracy.

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Reply to
rickman

ote:

ervative, and yet I can change my oil, do house repairs, and design electro nic products.

And you've got enough money that paying somebody else (with all the right t ools) to do it makes sense. Been there, done that.

Thata long time ago, in a much less productive soceity.

If the US wasn't a plutocracy, run by incompetent plutocrats, the governmen t would collect more in taxes and spend more on education and public health . That didn't happen in your village, which couldn't afford to have kids no t working or sick people eating.

The university degrees don't have to be useless, but a long as universities are run as for-profit institutions, the emphasis will be on putting studen ts through courses that are cheap to teach, rather than teaching them stuff that is worth knowing.

Wells Fargo is part of the plutocracy. What did you expect? The US is defin itely getting less civilised. It's one of the side effects of massive incom e inequality.

most_Always_Do_Better

Since this is based on academic research, and comes to a conclusion you won 't like, you won't take it seriously. Foolish.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

As far as I can see the NRA (and most statements on this group) "justify" guns on the basis that they are protecting their family. Rarely are there statements that shooting up road signs (or whatever) for fun is the reason they have them.

Probably. Perhaps if psychotherapists were forcibly relocated to Woodsville Alaska, more lumberjacks would get the help they so richly deserve ;) After all, up there "the odds are good, but the goods are odd".

Indeed, but that doesn't invalidate the point, and that doesn't mean the concepts are valid.

Hindus don't have the concept of "time's arrow"; it is "the wheel of time" - to the extent that the Hindi word for tomorrow is the /same/ as for yesterday. And, as one Bangalore project manager confided to me w.r.t an "optimistic" schedule, "you see, in India we explicitly believe in miracles".

Reply to
Tom Gardner

They would all die without civil engineers.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Reply to
Tom Gardner

One of my friends is more-or-less a typical liberal, I suppose. But he owns a gun.

But, he has good reason to, living in the dangerous part of the city. He has an interest in critical thinking, and not in conspiracy theories.

It's manifestly clear that, what passes for modern "conservativism", is mostly fear mongering, and actually nothing about being fiscally conservative or shrinking government.

Their actual actions are as politically liberal as anyone else's, just more for defense and business than for workers and the people.

It's a really poor name choice at this point, but we're stuck with the historical continuity of the grouping...

Tim

-- Seven Transistor Labs, LLC Electrical Engineering Consultation and Contract Design Website:

Conservatives are more likely to believe fake news because they are "hyper-attuned" to hazards. They beleive it's better to believe a hazard may exist than ignore it.

Liberals have a greater "need for cognition," or an interest in thinking critically.

Studies have found that conservatives are more likely than liberals to believe conspiracy theories that align with their beliefs.

never takes off. You'll get debunked within the first two comments and then the whole thing just kind of fizzles out."

Reply to
Tim Williams

ote:

ence. But one points to the other side and claims they are more stupid. T his explains it and it does make sense.

"hyper-attuned" to hazards. They beleive it's better to believe a hazard m ay exist than ignore it.

nking critically.

to believe conspiracy theories that align with their beliefs.

ever worked, it never takes off. You'll get debunked within the first two c omments and then the whole thing just kind of fizzles out."

s of misinformation, but you want to make it a 1 sided story while denying it's 1 sided.

demia. But remember all the stuff they came up with, including the Internet .

ervative, and yet I can change my oil, do house repairs, and design electro nic products.

Something that doesn't need to be done often still needs to be done. I thou ght you just got done saying conservatives are better with physical, danger ous stuff?

You may have a point there, hence the purpose of regulation. Too much is ba d, too little is bad. The financial collapse about a decade ago was a resul t of too little: you'd think lenders wouldn't put themselves in such a prec arious predicament, but given free reign people will do some stupid things for short term gain.

Reply to
lonmkusch

As in, everybody showing up at a meeting on the same day?

In my personal experience, what Indians don't believe in is paying bills.

lunatic fringe electronics

I let professionals work on my car. They have the tools and computer interfaces. And the lift; ground clearance is not what it used to be.

Have you noticed that military people tend to be conservatives, and women and gays tend to be liberals?

The working class lose their cars and houses and go to jail if they shoplift a chicken. The Wells Fargo execs steal billions and get bonuses.

lunatic fringe electronics

:

te:

:

ligence. But one points to the other side and claims they are more stupid. This explains it and it does make sense.

are "hyper-attuned" to hazards. They beleive it's better to believe a hazar d may exist than ignore it.

thinking critically.

als to believe conspiracy theories that align with their beliefs.

s never worked, it never takes off. You'll get debunked within the first tw o comments and then the whole thing just kind of fizzles out."

ypes of misinformation, but you want to make it a 1 sided story while denyi ng it's 1 sided.

and

academia. But remember all the stuff they came up with, including the Inter net.

onservative, and yet I can change my oil, do house repairs, and design elec tronic products.

One doesn't need much for tools and computer interfaces to change oil. I'm just very picky (scratches, etc) and refuse to hand it over for things I ca n do myself. But this is a digression. Nothing wrong with taking a car in f or an oil change.

al, dangerous stuff?

Yeah well based on Republican's apparent hate for LGBT and taking away of w omen's reproductive rights it's not surprising. And rednecks, the uneducate d (I'm not saying the reverse is always true), and the KKK tend to also be conservatives, while academia, tech heavy areas, and up until recently, uni ons were liberal/voted Democrat. I'm sure many more demographics could be placed into each bucket. Trying to claim one or the other is less macho/hum an/smart/whatever doesn't make a lot of sense.

I have a close relative who's gay and he's a great guy. He and his partner are highly educated and together earn way more than the average couple and contribute to society. Not sure why all the hate.

bad, too little is bad. The financial collapse about a decade ago was a re sult of too little: you'd think lenders wouldn't put themselves in such a p recarious predicament, but given free reign people will do some stupid thin gs for short term gain.

Maybe not billions going straight to a few people. But I don't disagree.

Reply to
lonmkusch

Do all cars still have drain plugs? I think that some suck out the oil from the engine compartment, with a pump. But the Audi gets the entire service, all computer interfaced, maybe every six months. The dealer is two blocks away, so it's easy.

Like Milo? He has a black boyfriend.

Some people think babies have rights. That's an emotional call. There are extreme positions on both sides and, like everything else, camps are polarized. Bell-shaped curves are increasingly bimodal.

My next-door neighbor is gay. He lets me borrow his chainsaw.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

ote:

:

ote:

telligence. But one points to the other side and claims they are more stup id. This explains it and it does make sense.

ey are "hyper-attuned" to hazards. They beleive it's better to believe a ha zard may exist than ignore it.

in thinking critically.

berals to believe conspiracy theories that align with their beliefs.

has never worked, it never takes off. You'll get debunked within the first two comments and then the whole thing just kind of fizzles out."

t types of misinformation, but you want to make it a 1 sided story while de nying it's 1 sided.

s, and

out

of academia. But remember all the stuff they came up with, including the In ternet.

n conservative, and yet I can change my oil, do house repairs, and design e lectronic products.

'm just very picky (scratches, etc) and refuse to hand it over for things I can do myself. But this is a digression. Nothing wrong with taking a car i n for an oil change.

I sure think so. The pump you're talking about is something that some peopl e do, but I don't care for it because it doesn't flush away the crap like o pening the plug does. I just hate handing my car over to someone else...not as much now as when my car was new.

sical, dangerous stuff?

), and the KKK tend to also be conservatives, while academia, tech heavy ar eas, and up until recently, unions were liberal/voted Democrat. I'm sure m any more demographics could be placed into each bucket. Trying to claim one or the other is less macho/human/smart/whatever doesn't make a lot of sens e.

ner are highly educated and together earn way more than the average couple and contribute to society. Not sure why all the hate.

Reply to
lonmkusch

Age & money have a lot to do with that. Not particularly politics.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

e:

te:

intelligence. But one points to the other side and claims they are more st upid. This explains it and it does make sense.

they are "hyper-attuned" to hazards. They beleive it's better to believe a hazard may exist than ignore it.

t in thinking critically.

liberals to believe conspiracy theories that align with their beliefs.

st has never worked, it never takes off. You'll get debunked within the fir st two comments and then the whole thing just kind of fizzles out."

ent types of misinformation, but you want to make it a 1 sided story while denying it's 1 sided.

ngs, and

ith

s out

s of academia. But remember all the stuff they came up with, including the Internet.

han conservative, and yet I can change my oil, do house repairs, and design electronic products.

.
.

I'm just very picky (scratches, etc) and refuse to hand it over for things I can do myself. But this is a digression. Nothing wrong with taking a car in for an oil change.

ple do, but I don't care for it because it doesn't flush away the crap like opening the plug does. I just hate handing my car over to someone else...n ot as much now as when my car was new.

I believe some German cars no longer have drain plugs, I guess the idea is that any crap in the oil should be taken of by the filter and it doesn't ta ke up a lift draining it

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Also how much of a "car guy" the person is. I'd rather pay someone the same price to mow my 0.25 acre lot than pay a professional to change oil.

Reply to
lonmkusch

.com:

ote:

e:

rote:

e intelligence. But one points to the other side and claims they are more stupid. This explains it and it does make sense.

e they are "hyper-attuned" to hazards. They beleive it's better to believe a hazard may exist than ignore it.

est in thinking critically.

n liberals to believe conspiracy theories that align with their beliefs.

just has never worked, it never takes off. You'll get debunked within the f irst two comments and then the whole thing just kind of fizzles out."

erent types of misinformation, but you want to make it a 1 sided story whil e denying it's 1 sided.

hings, and

with

nds out

t.

ngs of academia. But remember all the stuff they came up with, including th e Internet.

than conservative, and yet I can change my oil, do house repairs, and desi gn electronic products.

ne.

er

be.

l. I'm just very picky (scratches, etc) and refuse to hand it over for thin gs I can do myself. But this is a digression. Nothing wrong with taking a c ar in for an oil change.

eople do, but I don't care for it because it doesn't flush away the crap li ke opening the plug does. I just hate handing my car over to someone else.. .not as much now as when my car was new.

s that any crap in the oil should be taken of by the filter and it doesn't take up a lift draining it

The filter can't always get it if the junk settles to the very bottom of th e pan as the sump won't suck it up. If you have an example of a modern car without an engine oil drain plug I'd love to see it. Some automatic transmi ssions, yes. Engines? I doubt it.

Reply to
lonmkusch

I check the dipstick now and then, but I needn't bother. The level is always right and it always looks nice and clean. The computer will tell me if anything needs attention.

At some point in life (like, when I could afford it) I quit working on cars. Rolling around on the ground, getting dirty fingernails, bumming rides to the parts place, somehow lost its appeal.

I used to do full teardowns, replace clutches and pistons and tranny synchronizers, all that stuff. I've paid my dues.

I've also surrendered in the manual/automatic war. The girls refused to drive my car in SF if I didn't go automatic. Shifting is barbaric, like manual chokes and hand-crank starters. The Audi has a cool automatic brake thing too, for when you have to stop on a steep uphill; it locks the brakes until you're ready to go again.