OT: Hwasong-15 missile

Nah, the flames are for show, they use a catapult!

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

M Philbrook wrote on 12/2/2017 2:59 PM:

Like the rockets in the old Buck Rogers movies... smoking across the screen!

--
Rick C

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
rickman

Things have since advanced considerably.

and this can be configured to deploy FOBS warheads which are undefeatable

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote on 12/2/2017 7:10 PM:

What makes them undefeatable? We can still know they are there and I expect we can shoot them down if needed. Don't all our anti-missile systems destroy on the reentry phase? Deorbit is not different from reentry is it?

--
Rick C

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
rickman

RS-28_Sarmat and this can be configured to deploy FOBS warheads which are u ndefeatable

stem

ect

t?

You can't tell the difference between a reentry vehicle and a decoy while t hey're in orbit, and an interceptor will not have enough lead time to kill it when they decide to dive out of orbit. These things are going faster tha n fast, interceptors do not chase, they lead the trajectory and collide wit h the target. Another challenge is intercepting at high enough altitude to mitigate the effects of an explosion should it occur on impact, that may no t be possible.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

In the hole, AFAIK. Even then, it's very stable (=safe).

Reply to
krw

Chinese technology?

Reply to
krw

Smoke rising?

Reply to
krw

There is a "Davy Crocket", I think it was, at the military museum at West Point. The spec sheet next to it said it had a _range_ of

1200yds. Yikes! Not sure I'd launch a nuke if I knew it was landing 2/3 mile from me.

The two sorta go together. If you can't build one small, the other has to be big. The Rooskies did it.

Reply to
krw

I didn't see any of this in the links you posted. The trajectory of the weapons would be well known and they would not be able to alter that significantly. It would be able to pick a target by choosing when to drop out of orbit. From some hundreds of miles up that would still give time to launch an interceptor launched from the area of the target. A detonation

100 miles up and hundreds of miles away would have pretty minimal impact on a target.

Is there a source where you got your information?

--
Rick C

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
rickman

You really don't want an exploding nuclear bomb 100 miles up and within visual sight of your target. It may not cause direct physical damage but the effect on a technologically advanced society will be devastating.

Reply to
Rob

The incoming warhead wouldn't detonate; it doesn't have any "knowledge" that it's going to be intercepted and the timing of the firing chain/detonators to achieve a significant nuclear yield has to be microsecond (maybe nanosecond these days) accurate for it to happen.

The Russian ABM system and the early US Safeguard system was designed to use nuclear-tipped interceptors, they were "enhanced radiation" warheads and would achieve a kill on the incoming warhead without a direct impact via neutron flux, not thermal. The ones designed to intercept the target at a few dozen miles altitude were in the low kiloton range and wouldn't have caused significant EMP effects

Reply to
bitrex

I don't think you are grasping the situation. Just as a mad bomber would booby trap his bomb, an incoming warhead would have a counter measures device to detect a nearby explosion and detonate even if not at the optimal position. Just like the proximity fuses used toward the end of WWII you don't have to hit the target, you only have to be close.

I was not aware that the EMP effect of a nuclear device would do damage 100 miles away. Rob is talking about the incoming warhead I think.

--
Rick C

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
rickman

i/RS-28_Sarmat and this can be configured to deploy FOBS warheads which are undefeatable

System

expect

s it?

le they're in orbit, and an interceptor will not have enough lead time to k ill it when they decide to dive out of orbit. These things are going faster than fast, interceptors do not chase, they lead the trajectory and collide with the target. Another challenge is intercepting at high enough altitude to mitigate the effects of an explosion should it occur on impact, that ma y not be possible.

on

The reentry vehicle is pulling a wickedly high g maneuver to reenter the at mosphere, meaning the (non-existent domestic point defense) radar will drop track, and it's coming in at 250 miles per minute (see wiki spec), still t hink you have enough time to re-acquire, designate and intercept? And the U .S. doesn't have any magic nuclear tipped interceptors. Get a grip.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

he

drop

me to

ion

ct on

g.

That's a bunch of de-bunked star wars fiction from the 80s or something, ev ery bit of which has been exposed as a complete fraud. All Defense knows ho w to do is ripoff the government, they sure as hell can't make stuff that w orks, and they're not above trying to snow the president, the congress and the public with their bullshit. This has only been going on for the past 75 years and nobody has a clue, which doesn't speak highly of the intellect o f Americans.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Russia has a super-duper E-bomb warhead they use to blaze the trail for successive strikes. They're pretty sure it will wipe out the functionality of all the defensive measures, if any. They have given this to North Korea btw.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

How do you know all this? Do you have a spy in North Korea?

They should all fear that we have the Q-bomb! Well, we can get our hands on it anyway...

--
Rick C

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
rickman

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

How does it pull a high g maneuver without that being detected? I believe if we are tracking we can actually *see* LEO vehicles. A rocket blaze would be visible, no?

To think a warhead can change course that abruptly to gain 250 MPminute velocity toward the earth is a bit absurd. I don't see anything about this in any of the references you posted.

BTW, what is the official spec on "wickedly high g"? I don't see that in my SI unit list.

--
Rick C

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
rickman

iki/RS-28_Sarmat and this can be configured to deploy FOBS warheads which a re undefeatable

t_System

I expect

is it?

[...]

uld

WTF- you think anyone is using optical trackers or something???

is

my

They already demonstrated an RV that bounces repeatedly off the upper atmos phere to travel around the world. The US "experts" said it couldn't be done , nothing could survive the g's. Wickedly high g means missile grade g's.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred