OT: How to stop robocalls, exact revenge.

 Thanks,
    - Win
Reply to
Winfield Hill

I got this file called "sittones.wav" that is the three frequencies the pho ne cos use when a number is n\out of service. It is like boo, berr, bee, I do not know the exact frequencies but I bet I could put them together. But you put them in from of your OGM and the spammers program automatically exc ludes you from their list automatically.

The problem with that is you have to tell all the people you know about it or they might think you left town. It also might not go over well with pros pective employers or clients.

If you can record off the phone you can get it easily, just dial some shit like 313-1313. Don't dial 212-1212 because in many places in the US that wi ll get you the police (fire might be 1234) and they don't like to be called unless it is something they can do anything about. Don't piss them people off.

aying-5976862.png

Reply to
jurb6006

I use AdBlocker, so the site wouldn't let me in. I white listed the site & it still wouldn't work. I think it just wants me to subscribe, period.

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Or just get it online somewhere.

I doubt it'll do much though.

:-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Click on the "Stop" button immediately after it loaded, then it'll work. At least in Firefox it does.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Thanks - it took me a couple of tries, but I did get in. "Immediately" is the operative word - I had to be quick on the stop button.

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Answering suspect calls with dead air is surprisingly effective if you accidentally pick up a robo-call. Most times it drops the line and if it does put you through to a human their confusion when faced with a silent caller is hugely entertaining.

I make a point of putting the phone down while I go and get the computer expert if I happen to pick up a Microsoft scammer call. I figure that while they are waiting optimistically on the line they are not pestering someone else who might be gullible enough to believe them.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

It does tie up your phone, and you have to go back and hang up eventually, double interruption.

To stop ringing, I pickup-hangup, two quick button presses. But if enough time can be invested to get a person online, and ask to be removed from the calling list, assuming that even works, could prevent further calls. Sometimes it's the same place, calling repeatedly, could work for them.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Winfield Hill wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@drn.newsguy.com:

Since most if not all are already breaking established rules, if not laws, then what they should be doing is isuing a single warning, and further infractions result in asset siezure and charges being leveled.

To me, since they also "try to hide", and use fake numbers, immediate asset siezure would be the rule of the day upon discovery of identity.

Hard assets and especially bank holdings.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

The FCC, as of last month, had only collected 0.0003% of ALL fines it has l evied to date against violators of RoboCall, Do Not Call, and CallerID laws . I suspect the computer hardware / software to make these billions of cal ls is probably not enough to put these companies out of business -- and tha t's assuming they are within reach of the US Government. Fines are not the answer.

The industry needs to unwind VoIP. That's really the only way to stop it. White listing VoIP sources will always work like a Band-Aid that doesn't q uite cover the wound, and probably keeps falling off too.

As for asking to be removed from call lists.., good luck with that. They d idn't use the National Do Not Call registry - what makes you think they wou ld use ANY list?!

On days when 40%-50% of my cell calls are robocalls, I get the desire to se tup an Asterisk system for all my calls and then have my cell phone only an swer calls from Asterisk. Then, on the Asterisk platform, I'll just "ask" callers a couple simple questions, like: "What's your favorite color?", and if they can't manage an intelligible response, I'll electronically accept the call on Asterisk and come up with some evil ways to waste their time. For example, maybe a script that just says "Tell me more..." anytime there is a pause in their sales pitch.

Reply to
mpm

[...]

The best thing is to have a means of preventing the phone from ringing unti l a caller passes some screen. It wouldn't take much, but may not be foolp roof since even voice recognition can be used. Asking the caller to press two touch pad numbers which change with each call would work for a while.

For me the best thing is to just not answer any calls from unfamiliar numbe rs. They will leave a message and I can get back to them. My cell phone s creens known spammer numbers, but as has been mentioned, this doesn't preve nt the calls from spoofed numbers.

One good thing is my cell phone has a land line number, so I don't get garb age texts... at least not many. lol

--

  Rick C.

  - Get a 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
gnuarm.deletethisbit