OT: How to deal with telemarketers

Received in the email:

(If at work, turn the volume down!)

Enjoy! Rich

Reply to
rtngw

Hilarious CD's...

...Jim Thompson

Rich, that was laugh-out-loud funny. Thanks!

James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

My pleasure - and thanks to all for the reports on the slowness of my server - I blame the ADSL. :-)

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I can predict what your logs will look like; 2 or more and frequently as many 5 pulling on 384 kb/s. I think you may want to move that off your server to a much better connected one and post the link instead.

--
 JosephKK
  --Schiller

Hear Hear! I had to wipe the tears from my face, I laughed so hard I cried!

Personally, I just interrupt telemarketers with "no thankyou" and then hang up. I think Tom Mabe's approach is better though.

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

I actually _was_ a telemarketer once, for about a week. The telemarketers actually _prefer_ if you say "thanks, not interested " right away, because they're on a quota, and would rather get to the next call.

(In fact, if I'd been the kid in the tape, I'd have probably just said, "Oh, sorry to disturb you. Thanks for your time. ")

I couldn't stand the stress, because old people answer who are so desperately lonely for the sound of another human voice, they'll bend your ear for hours, and they never have any money to buy anything with.

And so you have to hang up on them. It broke my heart every time.

So, really, if you just say, "Thanks, not interested" you're doing the kid a favor, and after all, he's just a grunt stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

You can buy a little gadget for the phone. You press a button and it says "I'm sorry, this phone does not accept this type of call. Please accept this as our notice to place us on your do-not-call list." Then it repeats this. You press the button and hang up and it hangs up the line when it's done.

Homer J Simpson

I have also heard the converse: automated dialing means they never get a rest, and so after they have been in the job for a while, they *prefer* long pointless discussions.

now thats a handy gadget.

I did once have a telemarketer ring me straight back and say "you didnt have to be rude", to which I replied "that aint rude, this is: f*ck off" and hung up again. no 3rd call eventuated.

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

I tell them as much manually; these days the response is almost always, "OK, sir, but please realize it may take 10-12 weeks to remove your name from our database." I may be overly sensitive, but to me this comes off as one final, "well then, f*ck you too!"

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

Perhaps, "Well, they don't call me the mad hatchet killer for nothing"?

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

I saw a guy once on some TeeVee show, where he said, "Please tell me the name and address of your company, your name, and the name of your supervisor. I'll be billing your company $100.00 per hour for the use of my personal equipment to conduct of your business."

The guy claimed that worked pretty well. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Terry Given wrote in news:1162242494.66601@ftpsrv1:

Some telemarketers jump right into their spiel and won't give you the chance to decline their offer.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This is the crux of the problem.

If the telemarketers were not making so much money, it would not be worth doing.

So someone out there must be buying into the sales pitch and they are making money to continue.

To as long as telemarketers feel its there "right" to "make the next call" then it is my right to make sure these "low lifes" understand how I feel.

Sorry you happen to be on the phone when I exercised my rights.

But you took the job knowing how the general public feels about those calls.

If these telemarketering companies could not get any workers, then it would be just as good.

So don't bemoan my rights just to exercise your rights.

Please understand the "your rights" are the telemarketer owners.

donald

Reply to
Donald

A large boiler room operates out of an old theater near Ocala. I have seen their employment ads in the want ads for over five years, and i don't remember any day i didn't see them. If you believe their ads, its the best job in the world, yet they only advertise for part time help.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I'm on the "Do not call list" and I still get the calls, claiming to be "Surveys". I tell them I'm not interested, and they don't listen. I finally started just hanging up when they start their spiel.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Ask them for their full name, telephone number and home address.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

"So much money"?

I guess five bucks an hour in an office is better than zero bucks an hour in the street. You think that's a lot of money? It's a job people get when they're desperate.

Yeah - people buy stuff! Imagine your surprise!

I didn't say anything about "rights."

Putting words in my mouth doesn't enhance your credibility, contrary to what you might believe.

Now you're just being foolish.

If somebody calls when you're in the middle of dinner, either let the answering machine get it, or if it's a pitch, hang up.

Duh.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

Do you mean an actual boiler room, or is this an expression for a telemarketing sweat shop?

If it's a real boiler, how many qualified people _ARE_ there? :-)

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

I guess this must be a US english term: