(OT) How did those old gas station bells work? (2023 Update)

Back in the 60s, when I was a kid, I remember that most gas stations had a rubber hose (about the same size as an air compressor hose), that laid across the driveway, by the gas pumps.

When a car pulled up to the pump, and drove over that hose, a bell would ring inside the station. This was back when the station attendant would come outside and fill your tank. Also when many stations were also auto repair shops. Thus, if the attendant was working on a car, he needed that bell to alert him that there was a customer.

What I remember, is that those hoses were plugged on the end, (where it laid on the driveway). I also recall seeing that bell inside at least a few gas stations.

What I dont know, is how it worked.

I recently was in a small rural town, and saw an old gas station, which appeared to have been closed for years. In that lot, laid that old rubber hose. That brought back memories as well as leaving me with a question.... How did they work?

I considered googling them, but I dont know what they were called, so I decided to post this question here. I'm assuming the bell was powered by electric, unless it ran off compressed air.

I can only guess that driving over the hose in the lot would cause the air inside the hose to trigger some sort of switch, maybe by a some sort of sensitive diaphram.

Does anyone have more information about these? As a kid, I thought they were fascinating, and now I'd like to know how they worked. It's a thing no longer used, but the memory lives on.... As well as the memory of gas station attendants who not only filled your tank, but would check your oil, wash your windows, and even handed you some S&H Greenstamps based on the amount of gas you bought.

Reply to
oldschool

It is just a firm hose (that will go back to its original shape after a car has driven over it) closed at one end and with a pressure activated switch on the other end. When a car drives over the hose, the air in the hose is compressed and the switch activates. The switch closes a circuit wired to the bell and a power supply.

Such pressure sensitive switches are used for other purposes as well, e.g. to control the inlet of water in a washing machine. They are commonly available.

Reply to
Rob

The air pressure spike probably rang the bell directly, no electricity required. It was no doubt mechanically clever.

Traffic monitors are similar, but they are electronic.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Den torsdag den 21. september 2017 kl. 19.46.50 UTC+2 skrev snipped-for-privacy@tubes.com:

Mrpete222 aka tubalcain youtubes favorite granddad and shop teacher will tell you

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Lasse Langwadt Christensen wrote on 9/21/2017 2:17 PM:

It has to have electrical power because the pressure change of a tire compressing a few inches of a hose that many feet long would be pretty small. The work produced would be far too small to ring the bell hard enough to hear it.

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Reply to
rickman

Oh that's funny! No one seems able to conceive that something might work without electricity. A car passing over the hose displaces plenty of air to launch a little piston against the bell. No switches required.

Jeroen Belleman (really!)

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

His videos are interesting, I'm not a machinist but he explains thing very well.

Martin Riddle

they obviously did it with electricity because doing it with air would just work too good ;)

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Den fredag den 22. september 2017 kl. 00.22.59 UTC+2 skrev Martin Riddle:

he has a life time of experience as a shop teacher ;)

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I examined them when I was a kid and the ones I saw had no electricity, just a plunger that struck the bell when a vehicle squashed the hose. That's not to say that some did not use electricity but the ones I saw did not. What got me looking at it was when the power was off in the whole town and the bell still rang.

Reply to
Tom Biasi

A simple air pressure switch. stem on the hose, or drive over it, and the volume of the hose is reduced, so the pressure increases, closing the switch that powered the "clapper" on the bell. Dirt simple.

You got it right

Reply to
clare

Every service bell I've run into, at every shop I've worked at, was an electric bell switched by the "air pulse" from the squeazed hose. Most were "miltons" -a few "tru-flates",. Every one of them had to be plugged in to the electrical supply - we unplugged them at night to prevent them from triggering the alarm system if someone drove over them after hours.

Reply to
clare

Had to have a fat hose.

Reply to
clare

While it's possible that some worked without electricity, I had mentioned this to a friend who used to work as a mechanic in several service stations. He's about 15 years younger than I am, but he said that he worked at one station that still had one of those bells in the late 70s or early 80s. He said it quit working, so his boss told him to try to fix it. After checking the hose, he opened it, and found a bell with a transformer, which he said looks like a common home type doorbell transformer.

At the end of the hose inlet, he said there was a diaphram connected to an electrical switch. The diaphram was torn, so his boss ordered a replacement and that fixed it.

I'm guessing that the transformer is either 16V or 24V like most household doorbells.

He also told me that the hose they used on the lot, was just a standard air compressor hose with the outside end plugged.

Reply to
oldschool

Not really.

Reply to
Tom Biasi

Might have run off the air compressor which remains pressurized for some time after a power failure. It's hard to imagine such a small change in volume producing enough work to ring a bell.

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Reply to
rickman

In the 4 stations I worked at as a gopher in the late '60s, NONE of them had electric bells.

And NO, the hose wasn't full of air. It was full of oil.

The striker would hit the bell going up when someone rolled over the hose, and again on the way down when they rolled off the hose.

Hence the da-ding every time.

--
Jeff-1.0
wa6fwi

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Actually some of the earliest patents going back to 1892 Electrical Hose Signaling Apparatus used a battery for power. Were there even gas stations in 1892? I'm pretty sure there weren't many, it must have been used for something else at the time.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Maybe ask the NASA tranny...that old fool takes 10 minutes to explain 5 seconds of material.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred