OT: how activate Office 2003

Will not activate over web (1st option given), and phone number (2nd option) is not functional.

Help??

Reply to
Robert Baer

Use LibreOffice instead?

John

Reply to
jrwalliker

There is probably a hacker patch for it by now, but the activation server was discontinued some while ago. This might help (or not)

Regards,
Martin Brown
Reply to
Martin Brown

Maybe it is time limited, but I thought there was a free version of MSOffice. Maybe that's only with certain brands of PCs?

As someone else said, LibreOffice is my vote. It's imenently usable these days. In fact, I started using it when my copy of MSOffice wouldn't open the .docX and .xlsX versions of MSOffice files and LibreOffice would.

--
  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Rick C

For MS Office 2003, you need to install Office Compatibility Pack. The problem is that MS has removed it from its web pile. So, you get it elsewhere: Once you install it, run Windoze update, depending on the version of Office you're using, you'll be installing a rather large list of Office updates.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Worked! The "secret" activation phone number worked; all automatic (robot, not person).

Much grass.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Why would I want to install a compatibility pack for software I haven't used in ten years?

No, that's no problem at all.

Or I could just make it simple and stick forks in my eyes.

--
  Rick C.

  ++- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Rick C

You have missed your chance now but for a long while after Office 2007 came out there were addins from Mickeysoft to allow older versions of Office to read the new ZIP encapsulated DOCX and XLSX formats.

Links to code now fail 404.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown