OT hacking google

I was looking for some "free" music and was searching with things like index, mp3s, "parent level directory" etc..

Found a couple of interesting sites for "hacking" Google. Some folks have taken searching Google in interesting directions.

credit card numbers, personal data of all kinds, passwords, activation codes etc..

**********

The really neat search engine optimization is to use Google with a script in Firefox.

In your firefox bookmarks, create a new bookmark with the following fields:

Name: google music search Location:

keyword: gms

The location is the same as what gets generated by the search in the article, but I?ve replaced Nirvana with %s (the firefox substitution token).

Now, when you want to find a new artist/song, just go to your firefox toolbar and type ?gms Led Zeppelin? and you?ll see all the free Led Zep tunes out there.

I copied it from

The same idea could be used to customize searches and eliminate having to type in search terms you frequently use.

Another site is

which applies the same search terms - but limits you to music, software, ringtones,etc..

Scripting has to be enabled for

to work.

Newsgroups
default

default skrev:

The music is not free, neither is the bandwidth you are using from the badly configured servers google crawled.

And yes piracy is offtopic here, why even bring it up.

/Jan

Reply to
Jan Nielsen

Easy, you are missing the point.

The idea was to use this example to avoid re-typing a lot of the same search terms every time you want to do a specific type of search.

Just a tool and neat way to customize searching - how you use it is your business - and there's plenty of un copyrighted music out there it isn't always about music piracy you know.

Some of the best music IMHO: the string quartet that jams for the fun of it then posts the mp3 - free for everyone and without all the hype and commercial cookie cutter music the RIAA puts out. The RIAA has structured music to the point where a great deal of what they promote is lacking soul - too polished and fake IMHO.

'Nother good site listing logical operators google recognizes:

It is about searching and getting the most out of google - not piracy.

Newsgroups
default

Thanks for the pointer.

-- DaveC snipped-for-privacy@bogusdomain.net This is an invalid return address Please reply in the news group

Reply to
DaveC

default skrev:

Okay im too trigger happy then :) cool information

/jan

Reply to
Jan Nielsen

Jan Nielsen wrote:

Your baby-killing is what is wrong with the music market. See how I used "baby-killing" instead of "wrong-headed view"? Using loaded and inaccurate terms for things is a cowardly way of hijacking the discussion.

There is a proper term for the practice ("Copyright Infringement") and using other loaded terms distorts the VERY SPECIFIC case of this sort of tort.

If I photocopy a book you have purchased, I don't deprive you of the use of that book. If I had an intention of buying the book but didn't, I *have* deprived the author and his agents of a sale. In the USA for over 2 centuries THIS WAS *NOT* CONSIDERED A CRIMINAL OFFENSE. It was a matter for CIVIL court. That the Congress felt a need to poke their noses into a matter that was well-established law for the entire existence of the nation speaks to people who spend much of their time doing the wrong things.

The Recorded Music Business is an aberration of the 20th Century where the means to record and distribute music were expensive and this was exploited by some cunning entrepreneurs. The recorded music industry was ALWAYS about the middlemen and it was (and IS) rare when the musicians don't get screwed. The Greatful Dead knew this 40 years ago.

Now the screw has turned and Big Music is the buggy whip manufacturer of the 21st Century. That they didn't diversify and adapt to their customer's desires and instead moved IN EXACTLY THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION points to an industry deserving of death.

Using dirty legal tricks

to attempt to bully people into buying what pitiful wares they have to offer is the last gasp of a terminal condition.

A good discussion from a recent Slashdot topic: The Future of the Record Business as seen by: Musicians

Former retailers

Traditional music customers

and Downloaders

JeffM

And then there are public libraries. Mine loans out CDs, DVDs, video tapes as well as books.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Actually, ON topic for any group.

Thanks!

Reply to
Charles Schuler

The RIAA's new concept of "fair use" would make it illegal for libraries to loan out recorded media.

To get around the hue and cry they "offered" to produce "degraded" media so people will not want to copy it, or media that can be reproduced only with equipment they specify.

This is one buggy whip manufacturer that isn't going down quietly; but they are going down.

I'm probably breaking the "law" every time I burn a CD so my wife can listen to it in her car or make an mp3 to take exercising.

It will be interesting to watch the MPAAs antics when the technology improves a little more. The movie studios are already scanning their actors into databanks with the idea of producing animations that can't be distinguished from life (and, no doubt, to avoid paying actors).

When the "virtual world" crowd discover they can produce real movies good enough to compete with the studios, another whip maker bites the dust.

Newsgroups
default

If Halle Berry winds up out of a job she can stay with me.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Your generosity is impressive.

default