OT: Google Maps blurred areas

I have found two intentionally-blurred areas(reduced resolution compared to the surroundings) in the Google Maps atlas: The naval Observatory in Washington (home of the VP's official residence - interestingly the White House and the Capitol are not blurred) and MIT Lincoln Lab at Hanscom AFB in Lexington MA.

Anyone know of any others? I'm starting a collection.

Reply to
Richard Henry

8-)
Reply to
JeffM

To do what with? If they can blur the satellite images, they can sure make a troublemaker disappear.

Better be careful with that web-surfing!

Well, at least you're not looking at Ukranian children. ;-)

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

On further research, the Zillow.com satellite pictures follow the same practices as near as I can tell, but with different results. The Zillow pictures of the Naval Observatory, for instance, gets blurred only in the highest resolution, and the level below that has much better resolution than the best google maps picture.

Reply to
Richard Henry

I think I found that effect in the vicinity of Camp David in the Catoctin Mountains, near Thurmont, MD and Camp Ritchie, near PenMar. I have printed topo maps of the area but they are (probably purposely) vague, showing some unnamed dirt roads with gates, and no buildings.

I've found other areas that seem to be blurred because of cloud cover, and sometimes a transition from a photo taken in summer (with green tree cover), to a winter photo with more ground detail, but with brown and white spots.

Paul

Reply to
Paul E. Schoen