OT: Glue Velcro to Leather

The adhesive on the Velcro will stick to the surface to the point of causing damage when trying to remove it.

The Velcro hook will stick the Velcro loop.

What won't stick is the bond between the velcro and its own adhesive :(

Mike Brown: mjb[-at-]signal11.org.uk  |    http://www.signal11.org.uk

Mike

I've found the stuff to be incredibly tenacious, but I'm sure we bought the good stuff. Getting it off my phone case and the test PCBs was challenging. It's reasonably rad-hard too. ;-)

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

I think you mean marine grade, not Marine grade. I don't want to have to call out the troops every time I use it. ;)

--

Rick C
Reply to

LOL. I guess you shouldn't tread on it.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Before I would risk ruining anything made of leather I would ask someone in a leather repair shop.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Leather contains natural oils and is often treated with oils and greases during preparation, so this doesn't bode well for any kind of adhesive. When the two Velcro strips are pulled apart, the adhesive would be in tension, rather than shear; it is liable to peel-off, beginning from one edge.

Stitching it is the only completely reliable way - and a good rugged domestic machine (Singer 201) will do this if you turn it slowly and use the right kind of needle and thread.

Don't be tempted to use sticky-backed Velcro and then sew it for good measure, the adhesive will drag on the needle and thread and will clog up the machine (I know from practical experience).

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk