OT: Glue Velcro to Leather

What's the best glue to use to glue Velcro to leather and not stiffen the leather? ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | Age gets better with wine!

Rubber cement used to patch tires might be the most flexible. Gorilla Glue ( polyurethane ) might be a stronger adhesive. The stuff used to glue rub ber soles on shoes is probably the best , but I do not know where to find i t. Are there any shoe repair places near you?

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

This:

JW

I reckon go to your local cobblers and get it stiched on is the only effective way.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Bennet

Sew it!

The additional thickness of material that can't slide around as you bend it is bound to stiffen the asesmbly some.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Buy the Velcro with sticky on the back!

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Some of that industrial Velcro has some serious stickum on it, for sure. Dunno how well it works on leather.

No doubt Jim's updating his mukluks for the winter. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

And watch it fall off in a week!

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I'm looking for work -- see my website!
Reply to
Tim Wescott

Nah, we're engineers.

Genetically engineer pigs that have short, hooked bristles. Then, when the hide is made into leather and cured correctly, it'll BE velcro!

What could be a more straightforward solution than that?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
http://www.wescottdesign.com

I'm looking for work -- see my website!
Reply to
Tim Wescott

Came loose from one of wife's favorite sandals.

...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

Thanks! Perfect for repairing wife's sandals. ...Jim Thompson

                    Age gets better with wine!

The latter would probably be "Barge".

A similar product, perhaps easier to find, is E6000. It's a clear rubber cement, solvent-based (use it with good ventilation only, it's kinda fierce), grips very well on most materials, waterproof, remains stiffly-flexible once cured. Most hardware and home-supply stores should have it.

My wife has used it for a whole bunch of craft and artwork projects. A few years ago she decorated an outdoor wall with glass buttons and colored tiles of various sorts... I bought her the "industrial adhesive" version which comes in caulking-gun tubes. After about 5 years of exposure to California sunshine and winter rains, a couple fell off (out of many hundreds) but the rest are fine.

They make a variant of E6000 called "Fabri-Fuse" which is specifically intended for fabrics. It's even dry-cleaning-safe once cured.

Reply to
Dave Platt

=_NextPart_000_003C_01D20371.DC5D5E60 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

"Jim Thompson" wrote = in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Artemus

That's certainly nerd-optimized >:-} ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

This makes me wonder: if you had the right "thread" and the right sewing machine, could you make loop-side Velcro by stitching it into any fabric with the right mechanical properties? Hook-side requires, well, hooks, but I think loop-side might be doable.

And yes, this is another nerd-optimized solution, but maybe a tad easier than genetically engineering animals to have Velcro fur.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
http://www.wescottdesign.com

I'm looking for work -- see my website!
Reply to
Tim Wescott

Just don't let the sheep into the same paddock...

--
Cheers,
Chris.

Different species...I don't think they'd hook up.

Reply to
axolotyl

You don't need to do anything special to make the loop half of velcro. My hat has a small bit of hook velcro exposed in the back and from time to time it is nearly pulled off my head when I get up from a cloth chair with a high back.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Self-adhesive Velcro tape is *wonderful* stuff. You can get Marine grade etc. etc. up to 2" wide and probably more.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Go to Dollar Tree and get their Super Glue Fix-All Adhesive. Stinks like heck, tho..

Reply to
Robert Baer