OT: Global Warming?

...Jim Thompson

-- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at

I may be a BOOB, but i do not see what you are talking about (somethig poked my eyes out..)

Reply to
Robert Baer

Nope. See "concrete outgassing". "Generally, concrete itself is inert. There has been talk about cement and concrete outgassing. Some people have theorized that concrete, during the curing process, traps chemicals other than carbon dioxide and water, that over time outgas or come out of the concrete. To date, this has not been proved. And even if true, I believe it?s extremely minimal. Concrete is like a two-component epoxy. When it sets up, it locks up. There is very little movement of anything going in or out of it, even on a theoretical level."

What does happen is that if you epoxy coat a contrete floor when it's cold, some of the trapped air in the cracks will be released when the floor warms up producing bubbles in the coating: Also, since concrete contains considerable amounts of water, if you heat concrete to above the boiling point, the water will turn to gas, and create a small explosion. That's why you don't want to be welding on a concrete floor.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

You didn't read the text because you were distracted ?:-) ...Jim Thompson

-- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at

I think there is a lot of CO2 released when they make concrete.. (well the cement part.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Bazookas on a par with the Motorola original, "The Silver Bullet" ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Text??? Was not distracted, was attracted!

Reply to
Robert Baer

If you're focusing on concrete outgassing, you're too old.

Reply to
Greegor

If you can't recognise silicone when you see it, you are too dim...

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

G > If you're focusing on concrete outgassing, you're too old. BS > If you can't recognise silicone when you see it, you are too dim... What makes you think they're not "natural", Slowman? Jealousy?

Reply to
Greegor

Nah, he has bigger ones.

Reply to
krw

No, a sense of proportion. A feature that you clearly lack.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

krw spends too much time with obese Americans. My BMI is 24. Jim Thompson might compete on pectoral volume, but probably couldn't manage the perkiness that properly packaged silicone can offer.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

How can anyone get a good look at the concrete with those two in the way?

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

You can see enough of the concrete through the interstices. One lump of concrete looks very like another. Silicone ditto.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

It's not the outgassing but the manufacture of cement that produces the CO2 . You add in some other factors, like the average formula proportion of cem ent to concrete, and you get about 400 lbs CO2 per cubic yard of concrete. A cubic yard is not much, and concrete is considered very non-green ( contr ibuting a full 5% to man generated carbon dioxide). The National Science Fo undation published a report establishing that the finished concrete does in fact re-absorb CO2 from the atmosphere but the highest reasonable estimate over something like 20 years is 5% of that 400 lbs or 20lbs. The industry knows it has a problem and, since there is absolutely no alternative to con crete in many large scale civil engineering projects, the research has turn ed to applying nanotechnology to the mix in the hope of producing concrete with radically improved structural characteristics and greatly improved lon gevity thereby requiring reduced maintenance and replacement. MIT is very b ig into this field.

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

[snip]

What concrete ?:-) I see tile. ...Jim Thompson

Thanks for the info. Looks like the CO2 is half from the chemical reaction and the other half from whatever is burned to produce the necessary heat.

One interesting effect is that by adding titanium dioxide to the mix, the concrete reduces smog:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Two? Mikek

Reply to
amdx

G > If you're focusing on concrete outgassing, you're too old. BS > If you can't recognise silicone when you see it, you are too dim... G > What makes you think they're not "natural", Slowman? Jealousy? BS > No, a sense of proportion. A feature that you clearly lack. I look forward to your reference citations!

Reply to
Greegor