OT: Geater limitations in cash withdrawals

Huh? Change to another bank. I don't pay _any_ transaction fees when using my debit card.

The only "charge card" I regularly use is AMEX, for business cost tracking.

Given the Obama-nation, I also do once-a-month "keep-alive" charges on my other cards, so they don't go away during the coming depression ;-)

...Jim Thompson

"What would happen to [Obama\'s] vanity if he didn?t have us to
throw alms to? What would become of his strength if he didn?t have
weaker people to dominate? What would he do with himself if he
didn?t keep us around as dependents? It?s quite alright, really,
I?m not criticizing him, it?s just a law of human nature."

                       -Ayn Rand, "Atlas Shrugged"

ow

as

around here I think most stores keep cash for the registers in their own safes, and deposit cash in an automatic box. several banks have no cash at all, if you want cash you have to go use the ATM

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

The way I understand it, they're more interested in cash deposits than withdrawals because, in the eyes of the insane drug warmongers, it means that the guy's a drug dealer.

Well, if obamanomics doesn't destroy the country first, the drug war and the unions will polish her off.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Richard the Dreaded Libertaria

Even better. Why limit government reports (and obviously digital records) on what you are doing with money to amounts above $10,000 when you can use a credit/debit card and make sure that ALL your transactions are recorded as to amounts, date, time, place, what you bought, how much you bought etc. I mean if you aren't engaged in any kind of suspicious anti-Sovie...er...unAmerican activities, why would you care about what those in power know about you? In a "progressive" society we all care about each other so much and support each other to a degree that privacy is an archaic concept from a previous uncivilized age. Who want's to go back there?

Reply to
Benj

That would be my guess as well. Credit unions (by their basic nature) tend to deal primarily with individual private depositors - they aren't "merchant banks" and thus don't have businesses depositing and withdrawing large amounts of cash and receipts on a regular basis. It probably makes sense for them to limit the amount of cash on hand, as a security measure - less losses in the case of a possible robbery attempt, and it may make them less attractive to robbers.

If they are indeed limiting their cash-on-hand, then requiring their customers to notify-in-advance makes business sense, so that they don't run out of cash and have to start turning away withdrawal requests from other customers due to a single large unexpected payout.

This might be more likely to be an issue at small "convenience" branch offices of a credit union.

If this business practice isn't acceptable to the original poster, then I'd suggest that he take one of the approaches which are available in our free-enterprise system:

[1] File a formal protest with the Credit Union over their new policy. Since it's a credit union, and he's a member, he's also a shareholder! If necessary, put a shareholder proposal up for ballot at the next annual meeting, to change the rule. [2] Do as any customer can do, when dealing with a supplier whose services are no longer satisfactory: find a different supplier! It's not as if credit unions, S&Ls, and banks are few and far between these days... there's surely one in his area which is more able to handle large-cash transactions comfortably. He can simply close his existing account (telling the CU why, if he so chooses) and move the funds elsewhere.
Dave Platt

More likely to thwart a run on the bank by angry mobs.

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Use only Genuine Interocitor Parts" Tom Servo  ;-P
Reply to
RFI-EMI-GUY

I put proceeds of a home sale in the local bank and they wanted to pump me for employment information etc. I said, wait a minute, I am not asking you for a loan, I am DEPOSITING money. In the end, I did not have to provide all the data she was trying to extract.

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Use only Genuine Interocitor Parts" Tom Servo  ;-P
Reply to
RFI-EMI-GUY

God forbid that some afternoon, you go to Walmart and buy some smokeless powder for your cartridge reloading and then need to swing by Ace Hardware for some iron water pipe and fittings to fix that leaky sink!

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Use only Genuine Interocitor Parts" Tom Servo  ;-P
Reply to
RFI-EMI-GUY

Many stores have to *buy* cash from the banks. Most have to buy some denominations. Some my wife works with have $20K/day in cash transactions. Full service banks keep a *lot* of cash around. Even the average bank ATM has $100K, give or take, in it.

Reply to
krw

That's certainly true, but the average bank robbery is less than $4K. Bank robbers, in general, are quite stupid.

Reply to
krw

That's Obama's next move.

Reply to
krw

They're interested in deposits because there is already an audit trail on withdrawals.

You don't think Obamanomics and the unions aren't inextricably linked? Who got the *secured* bond holder's share of GM?

Reply to
krw

Transaction fee? I get 8 free ATM withdrawals a month and unlimited purchases (with cash back, if wanted) without fees. Credit cards purchases are free (actually 1-5% rebated), as well. Why would you put up with a transaction fee?

Reply to
krw

I use a couple, and have a few bills tacked onto my credit cards. I'll take the rebates. I bought a Delta cabinet saw with my rebates last year. ;-)

Recentlt I've been putting about $1K/month on my credit cards. That keeps 'em happy.

Reply to
krw

Yep. I run about $2500/month on AMEX.

...Jim Thompson

there, I

ADVANCE'

dollars! How

Women of

tighter

plastic

can

well as

That may be typical in Denmark but is sure ain't true in much of the world.

Reply to
JosephKK

How on earth do you get that? The extra cost of the fees is clearly posted at the cash registers.

Reply to
JosephKK

Others have pointed out the practical considerations associated with not requiring prior notification regardless of the amount.

But I'd agree that $1000 seems a little low.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

At various times, i have seen business persons either come into a bank with a bag of cash, or walk out with a bag of cash.

Reply to
Robert Baer

I have seen any signs for "fees" for using your credit card, credit card charge minimums, or "discount for cash" in many years.

Competition caused them to go away.

...Jim Thompson