OT: Free download manager with auto download start etc.

Sorry about the OT post. It belongs in alt.comp.freeware and I posted there, but there's no reply so far. This is what it's about:

Can anyone please recommend a free download manager for Windows that can be set to start downloads immediately?

For several years, I used Download Accelerator Plus (DAP) and liked it except that it cannot d/l from https sites. What I liked was that it can be set to start downloading immediately after clicking the right-click context menu.

What I don't like is that, while older versions had the download progress window in the background, newer versions insist on having it pop up in the foreground. It requires an extra mouse click to place it in the background and this is annoying when downloading several small files in rapid succession.

I've tried Free Download Manager (FDM) which does https sites, but it cannot be set to start downloads automatically from the context menu. Besides right-clicking on the context menu, it needs a left click to start the download, and still another click to put the progress window in the background. These extra two clicks are even more annoying than the one extra click in DAP.

So my ideal (free) download manager would be one that

  1. Starts d/l immediately after right-clicking on the context menu
  2. Automatically places the progress window in the background
  3. Can d/l from https sites

Any suggestions please?

Reply to
pimpom

I use WGET. It's not something everyone loves, though. But it can qualify as "a suggestion."

It does have a progress window, runs in background, but runs in a DOS window. I also only use it for one download at a time and don't know it's ability to handle more. But I greatly prefer it as it does exactly what I want, when I want, no fuss and I don't have to have a clickable link -- I can use someone's text and just paste it.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

Thanks. I'll check it out.

Reply to
pimpom

No specific help, but here's a list of candidates:

*.*.Version.*.*.*.*+zh+SeaMonkey+registration.required

...and, yeah, it does seem like alt.comp.freeware would be the best source for this nugget.

Reply to
JeffM