OT for other dark matter 'fans'.

Even understanding the maths it is still slightly amazing that it works!

You want a pinhole with as much of the lamp light as you can get hitting it nearly parallel to begin with. An unresolved point source would be ideal but you will have to settle for a finite sized pinhole.

It was always a bit of a bugbear for calibrating aperture synthesis - to get fringes on the longest baselines you needed unresolved point sources but to calibrate the amplitude you wanted them to have a constant brightness too. The number of such stable point sources is rather small.

Try with a 0.1mm hole and 1m drift range as a starting guess.

Might be more fun to play around with it on the yellow sodium D-lines where you can see immediately what the results are. It was a favourite for fourier optics practicals back in the days when lasers were rare exotic beasts that required a lot of nuturing to work.

Symmetrical around the brightest objects. Snag is many different images give the same autocorrelation and picking the right one can be tricky.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

.org

Nothing that Jan understands.

ide

h is

or

ul

And your offering is?

In reality it's apparently quite tricky, and people who can do it well enou gh to get their offering published in peer-reviewed journals get offered we ll-paying job in well-regarded universities.

avers)

Not exactly.

asure > things, are drifted out into fantasy land with statistics,

You seem to be the one who hasn't clue what you are talking about.

It's not hard to understand that Jan Panteltje thinks that he can make a jo

think that anybody would find it funny or relevant.

t it

Sure. Just take a pair of the right kind of stars and wait long enough.

Using a nova as a weapon is trickier, but you'll tell us how, won't you.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Yup. The SNR for the higher spatial frequencies goes in the tank, too. That's why I needed so many antennas, rather than just something like a Golomb ruler, which samples each spacing only once.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

First, 'make a better weapon' is engineering, not experimental science. Second, wasn't the post-WWII development of the hydrogen bomb a "better weapon'?

Show me the dirt from a working nuclear reactor. Show me the "cleaner' project goal statement. Identify the experimental science contribution. Don't change the subject to engineering; lacking a 'cleaner' specification, you can't make it an engineering succeed/fail criterion, either.

The misunderstanding of science is epic, OR the author is very much impressed by his own spin, and not by facts.

Reply to
whit3rd