OT for a design group magic stuff

LOL! We have been discussing mineral oil and vaseline. There has been no discussion of Teflon, Stabilant-22, or any other similar materials.

Cramolin must be removed after application since it corrodes copper.

Vaseline is very similar to mineral oil used in Detoxic. But it sticks better, lasts much longer, and is very cheap.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

Misleading; Cramolin was not ONE product, but two or more (and no longer available). The Cramolin Red was a cleaner, the Cramolin Blue was to be left in place indefinitely. Various formulations (including aerosols) have been given other names, it's difficult to know what current products are similar to that stinky red stuff of yesteryear. It's also difficult to know which contain liquid semiconductor active ingredients.

Reply to
whit3rd

It could also be Red Dye #40 ;D

Martin Riddle

Hey I put it on today, I'll report when my T-drive fails again. We don't have any Vaseline at work. Would dow-corning vacuum grease be similar? I could try that next.

(It's probably a noisy function of time, sometimes I'm saving a lot of scope pics/ data, other times not so much.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

If you need that white Japanese camera grease, let me know I have a rather large bottle from microtools thats going to last me a life time.

Martin Riddle

WD-40 is probably the worst thing to have in a lab. It evaporates quickly and leaves a gummy residue. Gun owners hate it since it gums up the firing pin and the gun won't fire.

Go to Walmart and the baby section. Get a jar of unscented vaseline, and use it on all your electrical connections including battery terminals. It is far better than mineral oil used in Deoxit, and will save you time and anguish trying to solve intermittent connections.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

On a sunny day (Thu, 9 Nov 2017 11:00:49 -0800 (PST)) it happened " snipped-for-privacy@krl.org" wrote in :

Ah Uncle Al, he also had constructed a synthetic diamond machine (not). And his what was it? a link between chirality and gravity?, disproved by a Chinese professsor that fell for it IIRC. We had very extensive discussions about all that in sci.physics.. I am not questioning he knows more about chemistry than I do... But beware :-) Was fun though.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Right, good ol' Uncle Al Schwartz. Google for "diamonds in the springtime". "Devil solvent" and all that stuff. One of the good old-fashioned Usenet trolls--he had a lot of people going for a long time.

Then there was the anagram troll, who was much less amusing.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs