OT: Folder Options (XP)

Robert Baer wrote in news:NQRqF.181784$ snipped-for-privacy@fx37.iad:

I first set a folder to the way I want most of them to appear, and then tell it to set them all the saem as that one.

THEN, you go through and set up individual changes such as those you describe, and it should retain them all.

The exception is adding files which have things like album names and track names, instead of basic text or data files. Those extra attributes may trigger a different view. Only guessing tho.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Sometimes I miss DOS.

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 2,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

E51881BD49F4BE2D7B7A4492 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Initially, I always have to set each folder the way i want: details, and type column zero.

So, why do i have to (ranDUMBly) fiddle with a previously set folder? Most of the time, the type column is fairly wide; sometimes the whole folder is in the thumbnails or tiles mode.

Is it unreasonable to expect a given folder attribute to remain constant until changed?

Is there a way to set/reset all folders to a given attribute (NOTE: "folder options / view" has only "reset all folders" available). And to be picky, nothing states what that "reset" mode is (nor how to change THAT).

As long as am nitting picks, the "You can apply the view (such as Details or Tiles) that you are using for this folder to all folders." does not exactly cut it as an example. The Folder Options folder does not even pretend to look like a "normal" folder; NO Details or Tiles. So, even IF the "Apply to All Folders" were available, the result would be ambiguous at best.

Your pit nicker, R.Baer

Reply to
Robert Baer

They generally do on my system. Though it is so long since I last used XP I can't be sure there are not circumstances like a folder full of JPEGs where it will helpfully give you thumbnails by default.

Somewhere there is a setting so that new subdirectories inherit the properties of their parent and that is usually good enough.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

If you want the nitty gritty, it's deep inside the Registry under ShellBags.

If there's a new entry, or an old one gets pushed out of the cache (if it acts as a cache?) or corrupted or something, you can get weird behavior. (You may not even be familiar with the last default you set, so a new one looks alien?)

You're welcome to look into folder customization or styling tools, if there are any, or just clear the ShellBags and set a fresh default and go from there.

Tim

-- Seven Transistor Labs, LLC Electrical Engineering Consultation and Design Website:

Tim Williams

"Tim Williams" wrote in news:qohqcm$jf0$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Looks like yet another reason the registry grows and grows and grows, even when one does not add more applications.

It seems they have no method (or care) to remove dead entries. Perhaps worried that as soon as they do, it will have been an entry that was needed. Something is wrong with the 'registry' paradigm.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

i want:

iously set folder?

ometimes the

te to remain

Right click on the top level folder and select 'Properties', then select 'C ustomize'.

There is a check box 'Also apply this template to all subdirectories'. Make sure it is checked.

Reply to
Michael Terrell

  • ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^---HOW?
  • ^^^^^^--- That is where the ranDUMB BS comes in. For the last month roughly, a random folder will "revert" to tiles or thumnails mode.

Thanks.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Check.

Reply to
Robert Baer

..."set a fresh default"....

1) How and where...and any dern folder i please? 2) How then, do i tell "Folder Options" where to look in processing either "Reset all folders" or "Restore Defaults"? I do not see any info regarding any of that.
Reply to
Robert Baer

As far as i am concerned, the "registry" is the garbage can for anything, especially for hiding useful information.

Say you have just installed some program. Instillation director, not registry should carry related info, like where and what files were/are located (what one sees in File pull-down list); where, name and style of it's default directory; and whatever else is directly related to the program and its operations. All in ONE place, easily find-able and USER controllable (NOT some ranDUMB operations elsewhere - get rid of the rail-road baggage car).

KISS

Reply to
Robert Baer

Boy, THAT was an excellent way to totally f*ck up all of the folders! They reverted from the classic view to the crappy left third being blue and having BS, PLUS undesired tiles mode AND if one manually switches a folder back to details, the filetype column also reverted to wide.

The so-called template business did not work, except maybe one subfolder. Then there was this phony pop-up window "Folder tasks must be enabled to see your changes. Would you like to turn it on?" I say phony because the very subfolder i had to fix came up with the SAME stupidity. I guess "on" is not "on", ever. AND...that goddamn left-side blue BS IS BACK!

Therefore, DO NOT USE THIS "SET SUBFOLDER" crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Reply to
Robert Baer

Robert Baer wrote in news:Ay4rF.69074$ snipped-for-privacy@fx07.iad:

You must FIRST set upi the folder you want replicated, which you obviously did not do.

THEN you set the switch, THEN you turn it back off. The setting of the switch puts YOUR default setup in place, then turning it back off allows you to make individual folder changes that will stick.

Another way is to make icons that point to exact directory locations, so the explorer pane it opens is the one you set up the icon with.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

i want:

iously set folder?

ometimes the

te to remain

My previous machine was Windows 8 and before that Windows Vista. In one of those two I was able to set a default for all folders through the folders settings. I don't recall the details other than I set a folder the way I l iked it and then set a control to make those settings the default for all f olders. I think a few did not pick up the default such as "pictures" (or w as it "my pictures") and a couple others like that. It worked well enough.

Under Windows 10 I have not found a control to say "this folder settings sh ould be the default", so I just mess with each folder as I encounter it and try not to be quite as anal about things like column widths. Let them be flexible and adjust according to the need of the moment. After all, the fi rst column is the file name and they vary a great deal. In other words, gi ve in and let Windows wash over you like an ocean wave.

Life is too short to spend time fighting your computer.

--

  Rick C.

  + Get 2,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

eviously set folder?

sometimes the

bute to remain

'Customize'.

ke sure it is checked.

This doesn't seem to work for column widths.

--

  Rick C.

  -- Get 2,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

Don't you think it is just a little bit dangerous handing a combined chainsaw and loaded shotgun contraption to a toddler?

If he can't handle the simplest user interface what chance does he have hacking around in the registry with a flint axe?

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

reviously set folder?

; sometimes the

ibute to remain

t 'Customize'.

Make sure it is checked.

er.

It always worked for me, but nothing ever works for you.

Reply to
Michael Terrell

i want:

How did you get to attach an image to a text only Usenet group? Is it that a small enough GIF will work?

I don't recall seeing any other attachments working... wait - you sent another GIF back in 2017 as well. Must be size related.

Interesting!

John :-#)#

Reply to
John Robertson

yeh, if only there was one place with a well defined hierarchy and some agreed way of reading and writing such data that all programs could use, without re-inverting the wheel every time and spreading config all over the place

you could call it a the registry

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Yea, but.. Once upon a time, (not so long) a time ago, i HAD all of my folders the same: Details, zero Type column width..various window sizes as need. Then it all changed a bit here, a bit there, ranDUMBly. And it is shit now.

Again, is it unreasonable to expect a given folder attribute to REMAIN constant (until manual change)?

Reply to
Robert Baer