OT: _FIVE_ ID's to get drivers license??

As seen in an investment newsletter:

"Porter, This doesn't have anything with investing, but your constant writings about the gov't and where we are headed as a country seem to be happening. A recent article in the local paper, The Dayton Daily News ran a article on Wed, the slowest day of the week, about how Homeland Security is taking over all drivers license departments and everyone has to show proof with five identifications to prove who they are starting in 2014. We have all already done this when we applied originally for our licenses.

"Most people didn't see the article so I have kept a copy. I live in Ohio and was wondering if any other people have seen any such information. This also was not one of Obama's ideas, it was part of The Patriot Act signed by Bush, whom I think was just about as much a communist as Obamas. Thanks for your letters, even though I don't always agree." ? Paid-up subscriber ATB

Reply to
Robert Baer

You don't need any IDs to get a driver's license. Just say you're an illegal and they will give you one with whatever information you provide. They understand, and are there to help you. Really. Honest.

--
I'm never going to grow up.
Reply to

Robert Baer wrote in news:BY6dnfYoEO4JVDDSnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@posted.localnet:

When I renewed my Florida DL,I had to show a certified copy of my birth certificate,my original(and unlaminated) SS card,and two pieces of proof of FL residence,like utility bills. They scanned all of these documents into their database. Florida is under the Real-ID standards.

I doubt there's any requirement for FIVE pieces of "ID" to get a DL. I doubt if most people HAVE 5 pieces of ID minus their DL.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

When I lived in WV we considered anyone driving an OH car as a potential criminal ;-)

(My sister lives in Cincinnati... which has degenerated into an overall slum.)

Here, in AZ, driver's licenses don't expire until age 65, then expire every 5 years. My latest expires in 2016.

To renew, you show your old license, take an eye test, pay your fee, get a new photo taken, and they print your new license on-the-spot.

Takes about 1/2 hour total, mostly spent standing in line. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

They have seats at the tax office, here. They just moved to a larger space, but the old location had a half dozen used church pews along the wall. Take a number & wait a few minutes. I pay my property tax at the same location. I COULD drive across town to go to the Florida DMV and wait hours, but only the ignorant do that. I also got two years on my license plate, last year, so I have over a year left on it.

Michael A. Terrell

Plates (and driver's license for those under 65) are web-renewable in AZ, with next day delivery... they outsourced the function :-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

5

new

You can renew online, but I've never had a credit card, and don't want one.

Michael A. Terrell

new

Same here but no mention of 65. DLs are for five or nine years - your choice.

Reply to
krw

You just listed FOUR, and one of those most people DO NOT have: _original_ unlaminated SS card. Did you really have your first (1956?) card? THAT is the 'Original", not any you got later. Most people have not had one - they got lost in moving, etc and always were worthless and un-needed. Now the "patriot" act, ad nauseum has blind-sided us with unconstitutional BS.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Jeez, "original" means issued by the SSA, not a copy. You can get one at any SSA office (making it a really dumb form of ID).

No, but I have one from 2008.

You're wrong again, but don't let that stop you.

See above.

The "patriot" act did nothing that wasn't already done.

Reply to
krw

On a sunny day (Sun, 13 May 2012 10:06:40 -0400) it happened " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" wrote in :

In the seventies I was in Florida and got a drivers license with just my passport and a driving test. I still have it :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Robert Baer wrote in news:K8mdnRLjY5sk8jLSnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@posted.localnet:

sorry,but a utility bill is NOT any form of IDENTIFICATION. it's proof of residency.

Nor is a SS card an ID,anyone could have picked it up off the ground.

OK,by "original",I meant not a photocopy. there are also places that make you an SS card,durable plastic,not paper. Or a "dog tag". but they are not issued by FEDGOV.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jim Yanik

BAck then, folks did not get their cards for their kids at birth like now. Most then got them closer to adolescent or adulthood age. Got mine at 13 IIRC.

Reply to
Capt. Cave Man

passport

...and your point is?

Reply to
krw

On a sunny day (Sun, 13 May 2012 12:26:56 -0400) it happened " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" wrote in :

passport

Bad day again? ;-) Anyways, things were easier back then it seems.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

of

passport

Seems you always have bad days.

More nonsense (I sure don't remember renewing my DL on the Internet 30 years ago), but it would still be good to have a topical point.

Reply to
krw

'Original' means a card issued by SS, not a photocopy. They will also accept a form from the SS office if you've applied for a replacement card and it hasn't arrived in time. I had both when I had to renew my license last year. My first SS card was laminated sometime in the late '60s.

Florida offers a checklist called get-gather-go to let you know what you need.

Michael A. Terrell

I had to have my birth certificate to get a replacement SS card.

Michael A. Terrell

passport

So, you have an expired tourist license? Big deal.

Michael A. Terrell

Deep asleep zzzzzzzzzzzz uttered More nonsense (I sure don't remember renewing my DL)

Beep Bad syntax

Reply to
Jan Panteltje