OT: (even) more bad press for Google

"In reality, Google is a smokescreen behind which lurks the US military- industrial complex."

Cursitor Doom

Well, ZeroHedge would like people to think that.

You have to be as gullible as Cursitor Doom to take that kind of conspiracy theory seriously, but there are enough fatuously gullible twits around to justify wasting column inches on pushing that kind of twaddle at people who are silly enough to swallow it.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Americans have loved the military-industrial complex for decades didn't you hear? If you want a good hustle just start up a defense contracting firm you'll truly never go broke, the Fed will just cut you cost-plus checks directly for the swish gear you're selling, whatever u want. No defense budget is ever too large.

Reply to
bitrex

I don't recall which country you are in, but I don't know of any that don't use cost-plus contracts for their military procurement.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

The problem isn't so much the cost-plus-contracts as the baroque rubbish that gets bought and paid for. Mary Kaldor nailed it back in 1981.

though she wasn't saying much more that Eisenhower had when he warned about the military-industrial complex twenty years earlier.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Cursitor Doom

You should not read so much bad stuff, not good for you!

The case for google (whether CIA had anything to do with its creation or not), is that is is a great thing. I use google search several times a day, and it changes the way education is completely. You can immediately go as deep into a subject as you want without having to spend a fortune on some rare books, or having to attend an otherwise completely boring course.

Google is one of the greatest things that happened in the last hundred or so years I dare say. Same for other search engines,

Of course old women (standing on chair shouting 'mice' or 'discrimination' or 'racist') politicians will always try to control and curtail internet in many ways. Old women have power, indeed the power of fear, the power of numbers, BTW women are different from men, hehe, not only in that aspect. I can understand Trump and his followers on immigration, but I doubt he can win that fight, Reagan surrendered, made them legal, had them pay taxes.

Mass migration will increase as climate changes, and the empire will fall. Some other empire with higher average IQ than that of blacks and reality show hosts and their followers will rule, most likely China:

So, ? Anyways the deficit is up, in spite of tariffs, the respect for the US worldwide is down, in spite of threats, the cost of living is up, in spite of promises, Trumpy was born with a gold spoon in his mouth, never made a profit, and never will bring US out of the debt cyclus. He is: Clueless.

Google knows what I search for, (how to build my own nuke and ..) that sort of stuff, I trust their (artificial?) intelligence COMPLETELY (eeeh), so they pass my coordinates to the army and the drones.. this is cool too:

Now I am waiting for a battery to charge so I can continue coding. Winter has come, close to freezing here last night.

Reply to
<698839253X6D445TD

"I was impressed by the resume. I think it shows the strong abilities of the parents," the teacher said.

Lol I bet

Reply to
bitrex

On a sunny day (Sat, 3 Nov 2018 03:54:13 -0400) it happened bitrex wrote in :

Unlike what some 'everybody is equal' shouters shout, the environment where kids grow up, especially in the first 2 to 4 years, has a huge impact on their (later) abilities. The parents did a good job. Had the kid grown up with drugs addict no education no work parents, then his writing skills and computer skills would not be so good. I recognized what he did from my own very early years, something I could not have done without the environment I was in. And then there is genetics, unlike what the 'every body is equal' crowd always shouts, much is in the brain structure, already at birth.. That is why many just born animals can walk and find food etc, it is, if you want to see it, already inherited in the neural net structure, and that goes for intellectual abilities too. That is why US will go into oblivion, and likely China will rule the world. Hanging on to the wrong theories and basing your education on that is - and will have, a devastating effect on the future population.

Reply to
<698839253X6D445TD

The quotation was IMO pretty clearly a play on words - a "joke" if you will.

I'm not really that impressed I knew this one kid who read "Anna Karenina" at age 14 months as a matter of fact.

Reply to
bitrex

Er no actually I'm mistaken. What I meant is he _wrote_ "Anna Karenina" at age 14 months. Take that, China!

Reply to
bitrex

bitrex wrote

I did hear Doctor Zhivago radio play with my home build crystal radio when very young. There were many nice radio plays in those days, fun thing I remembered today some astronauts landed on a planet where machines were playing chess on the land with real weapons, and they needed to find a way to escape. Nothing has changed, it is becoming more of a reality in fact. AI war games.

Reply to
<698839253X6D445TD

The pipe bomber guy, working out of his van, made a lot of very professsional looking custom-sized window posters. But none of his bombs worked. Some were apparently delivered by courier.

Curious.

Zero Hedge is mostly hysteria, but it's sometimes amusing and occasionally right.

lunatic fringe electronics

Isn't it just!

The ZH regulars believe the whole thing is actually an elaborate hoax and whilst I personally wouldn't go *quite* that far, there are some unaccountably odd aspects to this business. Since the alleged culprit is pleading not guilty and will have his day in court, I'm extremely interested to learn what he has to say for himself. Time to order the beer and popcorn!

Cursitor Doom

I was 8 when I built my first xtal set. I remember being amazed and delighted to hear the stentorian tones of a BBC announcer booming out of my cheap & cheerful hi-Z headphones. The signal was so strong I could not tune for any other station; it was all I could get, but I was instantly hooked at that point. I found out shortly afterwards that this broadcast was coming from the BBC World Service's 600kW long wave transmitter less than 3 miles away which took a bit of shine off my achievement. :-/

Cursitor Doom

It wasn't stated that I saw what chemistry the explosive payload in his bombs was.

but it doesn't seem that curious, the stable-for-handling-yet-easy-to-reliably-detonate high explosives are all non-available for purchase to civilians or extremely difficult to make for any kind of amateur chemist.

What's left to work with for a wannabe bomber/part time DJ is either the stable-and-hard-to-reliably-detonate type or unstable-and-blow-up-in-your-face-during-construction type like acetone peroxide. He likely "sensibly" chose the former option.

When TNT and dynamite were commonly available at the store in the US people built bombs and blew people up quite a bit, they worked fine:

Reply to
bitrex

One doesn't need high explosives to make a very deadly bomb. There are plenty of alternatives that will kill.

Not needed.

Reply to
krw

They contained "powder." Black powder? Baby powder? Biscuit powder?

There is a strange lack of info about the bombs themselves.

lunatic fringe electronics

Still an active investigation AFAIK the FBI tends not to comment on the particulars of those too much because policy and laws n stuff.

Reply to
bitrex

e.g. numerous boxes worth of ground-up kitchen match-heads have been used as a moderately effective explosive in pipe bombs before possibly something along those lines.

Reply to
bitrex

Like a stopped clock. ZeroHege is more propaganda than hysteria, but John Larkin is a glutton for propaganda, if it is sauced with enough flattery.

He has been swallowing climate change denial for years.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to