OT: Elementary first grade math problem

Can you solve this Hong Kong elementary school math problem? I wasted about

20 minutes and gave up. No fair looking at the answer.

-Bill

Bill Bowden

87 (less than five seconds)
Reply to
krw

I don't consider that math.

I didn't get it.

I sent it to my innately smart 23 yr old daughter, we'll see!

Mikek

Here's one to waste time on,

I answered it, but not as fast as my innately smart 23 yr old daughter :-) I had to trash my first piece of paper, and start again. I think Einstein was wrong, more than 2% could answer it. Maybe 2-1/2% ;-)

Reply to
amdx

Spaces 86 and 90 should have given it away. You must be thinking too hard. It is for first graders afterall.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

My daughter emailed back,

"Well you must a raised a genius cause I got it. And it was before I scrolled down :)"

Don't know, it's a first grade math test!

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

10 seconds, but I had some wine. Those Hong Kong kids probably didn't get wine.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

**Falsely calling it a math question is what confounds adults.

Call it what it really is - ie an "optical illusion" and most would solve it in less than 20 seconds.

Presented on a piece of paper without the highly misleading description would also render it obvious, especially to youngsters who have never tackled find the missing number questions before.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Saw it right away. Probably anyone who's done PCB layout will see it right off.

Best regards,

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

It is actually misleading to call it a maths question - it is much more of a pattern matching/intelligence question than a maths problem.

This one is a maths series problem although more for senior high school.

What is the next entry in the following sequence of numbers?

10 11 12 13 14 20 22 31 ....

Again you either see it immediately or you don't.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

If you had it on paper, you might think to flip it around. It is hard to rotate my monitor. ;-)

In any event, that isn't a math problem. No more than writing "hell" on a calculator.

Reply to
miso

--
Congratulations! You've now proven that you can compete head-to-head
with Chinese pre first-graders.

That **is** a surprise!

BTW, 87 is wrong; it should be 128.
Reply to
John Fields

--
34?
Reply to

Something you can only aspire to.

It's so nice of you to prove my point.

Reply to
krw

I just saw that the characters were intentionally shaped to be readable from either direction. That's not common.

Reply to
krw

That made me go "Son Of A Bitch" once I figured it out. And I did not look.

Reply to
jurb6006

--
Don't you even want to know why you were wrong?
Reply to

First ten seconds spent thinking about 16,06, etc, then for unknown reason, the computer removes the image [goes blank] and starts over, as the image was laid back in that's when the dyslexic/chaotic mind took over and saw it instantly.

Shows all these great principles.

  1. Reference of one's view.
  2. Odd characteristics of some numbers [exactly WHAT characters mean]
  3. Overall, step back and LOOK at the problem!

Thanks for posting that one!

Reply to
RobertMacy

I know you're wrong (always). I don't have to decode your utter nonsense (ever).

Reply to
krw

--
Well, then, I guess you know why "128" couldn't possibly be the
right answer, so why don't you explain why I'm wrong, objectively,

Perhaps because you'd rather be known as a blowhard than as
reasoning challenged, yes?

John Fields
Reply to
John Fields

I gave it to my two kids with a "you'd better get this in 5 seconds or less" warning.

Daughter replied "that's not a math problem, that's a common sense problem."

Son did the math, got the right answer (not sure how), still in 5 seconds - and never realized what it really was a picture of.

Go figure.

Reply to
DJ Delorie