OT: Electronics manufacturer puts schematics on website

How many electronics manufacturers these days are prepared to put the schematics of their equipment in the public domain without worrying about copyright?

This manufacturer of Codan and Selcall radio equipment does just that.

Ross Herbert

"Ross Herbert"

** Copyright is not lost because you PUBLISH something !!!
** These days, I can find most of the schematics I need on the net - from the equipment maker's site or from sites that have collected older and /or hand drawn schems.

Normally, one phone call or email to an importer gets me a PDF of the needed schem for more recent stuff - only rarely do I have to pay for a printed manual.

Makers and importers only keep secret their schems to protect sub-contract service businesses from FAIR competition.

Brands like Behringer for example.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

On a sunny day (Fri, 22 Aug 2008 02:20:44 GMT) it happened Ross Herbert wrote in :

For HF equipment, I dunno, but all manuals, schematics, PCB layouts, and calibration procedures of my Ranger RCI-2970 transceiver are online in full color:

Somebody must have given it to them ;-)

Joerg will like those diagrams :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

schematics

I am currently contracting for a company that used to manufacture electronics. One of their big customers recently asked me for a schematic so they could repair some of the gear. I was stunned that no one ever gave them a copy. Very odd, there is no chance they would ever steal the design, so it made no sense. I emailed a copy of the schematic immediatly. Got me beat why someone never did it before. They could never copy the CPLD or binary for the uP.

Reply to
The Real Andy

schematics

I am used to Japanese schematics. Actually some of my schematics look similar because there is a bazillion feedback mechanisms and interlocks in analog circuitry. Sometimes people ask "How the hell does this work?" and then I often point them to the module spec which can be rather thick :-)

Ross: Many companies have their schematics online. The scope manufacturer Hameg for example, although lately the newer ones aren't online. Hopefully that's not because they were bought out. When an AOR scanner croaked I was able to find the service schematic and thus fix it. Same for a lot of other gear.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

chematics

t?

in full

Never?

Reply to
Richard Henry

ematics

p://

In the good old days of consumer electronics (up to some point in the

70's) all electrronic devices came with a copy of their schematic, often pasted inside the enclosure. There was also a third-party industry in schematics and troubleshooting guides for more complicated equipment like TV sets. Then there was some legal change that exempted manufacturers from that requirement.
Reply to
Richard Henry

:On Aug 21, 7:20 pm, Ross Herbert wrote: :> How many electronics manufacturers these days are prepared to put the schematics :> of their equipment in the public domain without worrying about copyright? :>

:> This manufacturer of Codan and Selcall radio equipment does just that.http://www.jenal.com/page101.htm : :In the good old days of consumer electronics (up to some point in the :70's) all electrronic devices came with a copy of their schematic, :often pasted inside the enclosure. There was also a third-party :industry in schematics and troubleshooting guides for more complicated :equipment like TV sets. Then there was some legal change that :exempted manufacturers from that requirement.

I do remember the good old days when some appliance manufacturers of ordinary items like portable radios supplied a schematic along with the user documentation and certainly some test equipment manufacturers up to the mid 80's included full documentation at no extra charge. As time went by the cost of producing documentation became big ticket expenditure, and while the user instructions were free, they started to charge for technical documentation.

Today however, it seems it has become more and more difficult to obtain schematics from manufacturers. Unless you are an authorised repairer or representative of the manufacturer, you have little hope of obtaining this basic information. It was just the rarity of seeing such information publicly available from a manufacturer that caused me to comment on it.

Reply to
Ross Herbert