OT: Eine Frage f?r unsere deutschen Freunde

Greetings, gentlemen,

Your English is clearly better than my German and it's 'illegal' to post here other than in English so I'll proceed in English. ;)

Whilst browsing in a local auction house recently, I came across this framed print:

Now, if it had been a better photograph (I didn't make it, I just copied it from the sale catalogue) or had the font not been in obscure Gothic script, I might have been able to translate it all for myself. However, I can only read small parts of it. I was wondering what it relates to? It seems to say something about Germany and Britain working together to combat some unspecified external threat. At first I thought it might be Nazi propaganda, but that wouldn't make any sense.

Could some kind soul post a translation? Also, I would be totally

*intrigued* to know which historical period and which conflict/threat this poster is referencing.

Thanks very much in advance, helpful German peeps. :)

Cursitor Doom

fredag den 14. juni 2019 kl. 20.06.42 UTC+2 skrev Cursitor Doom:

headline is "truth to foreign countries"

afaict they will send a newspaper in 10 different languages for free reprint to neutral countries, presumably to spread their version of the truth

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Ok, I am not a German citizen but used to be and grew up there, native speaker, hopefully you'll accept my help as well :-)

Titel: The Truth into Foreign Countries!

Text: In conjunction with the German Archive of World Literature we are mailing a newspaper in 10 languages to the press of the neutral countries, allowing free re-printing. Help us via monetary donations and via [your] foreign connections!

The small print below that main paragraph is too small and fuzzy to read. This stuff must have been from World War I or before.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

It might indeed be 1914. This mentions a book set with the same title "Die Wahrheit ins Ausland":

Could be nasty stuff ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

OK, thanks, guys. I think I missed my chance there; should have taken a picture of it while it was available for viewing (or bought it and scanned it). Shame the small print towards the bottom is illegible. Still, sometimes these things get put back into auction again so if it didn't sell, there's still some hope!

Cursitor Doom

weltkrieg-1914-18.html

There's a veritable trove of propaganda posters illustrating the most extreme perspectives from both sides during both WWs on this site, I've just found:

Scary to think that with just a few wrong moves in international relations, we could go back to times like those!

Cursitor Doom

Do NOT worry on that score, Trump is here to "help".

Reply to
Robert Baer

We are rapidly becoming an echo of the Weimar Republic, as a consequence of the 2007 crash and now brexit.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

The rest of the world has finally seen the writing on the wall and is divesting US debt. The latest round of QE has been bought almost entirely by Americans.

The first Gulf War was precipitated as a US response to Saddam deciding he didn't want any more 30-year US bonds. And for good reasons.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

So why do you think the US dollar remains strong?

China has to divest because their economy hit the skids and the renminbi is sliding. The US economy remains robust while that may not last for very long and many companies are over-leveraged. Though it's nothing compared to the debt levels in China, and that could really go kablouie.

Quote "Ironically, there is no shortage of demand for this debt ...". And why could that be? It's simple. With Treasuries you get at least enough interest to offset the official inflation. Not the real one but the official one.

So what else should they buy? German bunds that pay zero or negative? Might as well put the money under a pillow. Debt of certain more southern countries that pays better interest but might go poof?

That's bunk.