OT: DVD Writing Software

DVD Writing Software?

What's the best for doing simple back-ups of project files?

Windows "burn" doesn't conveniently tell you how many MB you dumped into the cache until you click burn... a wee bit of a nuisance. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Just use an intermediate folder and you'd see the size there.

BTW, the most reliable are JVC disks and LG drives, and do the burn at about 1/4 of maximum speed.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

And, unfortunately, JVC / Taiyo Yuden is getting out of the blank CD/DVD disc market entirely. They've shut down production as of the end of 2015.

Reportedly, CMC has announced that they're buying the Taiyo Yuden technology and will be manufacturing media using the Taiyo Yuden dye and procedures. These discs aren't (as far as I know) yet on the market.

Reply to
Dave Platt

Imgburn is the best. Brasero and KB3 in Linux distros.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I've run out of my stock of T-Y blanks. Is there a "nearly as good" brand? ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

I've gotten a lot of my blanks through MediaSupply.com over the past few years. They still have some of the JVC-branded Taiyo blanks in stock.

They are also offering their own "MediaPro Premium" line as a possible substitute. These are apparently based on an azo dye (which was the type originally used by TDK, some years back, and I found these to be of high quality... I was sorry when TDK gave up making these and started OEM'ing cheaper discs). I haven't tried the MediaPro Premium myself but I'll probably give 'em a whirl the next time I restock.

Reply to
Dave Platt

Not likely, because I've never used it.

Brasero has so many bad reviews, though it's never given me trouble. Regardless, I don't have it installed any more. Mint xfce has gone to xfburn.

That's K3B, dork. Great, but comes with a lot of baggage if KDE isn't already present.

Reply to
Master of Ceremonies

snip

Well, that's about as retarded a statement as it gets.

Not big on the reviews of practically all the computer users in a 6.5B world population, eh?

You are about as dumb as the idiot who asked the question.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Why use DVDs at all any more, Jim? Can you not just back up to a thumb drive? I haven't backed up to optical media for several years.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Don't hit the guy with logic, dude. He'll call you a troll and go have some more wine to go with his whine.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Good point! Any data on reliability versus DVD? ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

snip LEARN TO SNIP

Stamped commercial DVDs last for years because the pits are hard stamped then metallized.

A burned DVD is not "burned" at all.. The laser merely "impinges" on a plastic layer, PLASTIC being the key term, and with time or heat, those "impinged, NOT burned" impressions NOT pits can relax and the data is lost.

An SSD or flash memory, etc., keeps its data for a very long long time and may lose a bit or two on the occasional high energy heavy ion collision (SEU). Pretty low likelihood unless you are up in the ISS.

So IMNSHO they are far more reliable than any lame, (and small) burned optical disc. And dual layer bd (dual layer anything) discs are a real pain in the ass too.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Good heads-up, thanks. I bought another three spindles' worth.

It's surprisingly hard for ransomware to poison DVD backups. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Same here. I'm going a buy a 100 spindle. Best insurance.

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Actually it went through his hollow head like a gentle breeze would.

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I use Genie Backup Manager and have a weekly data files job and a monthly full.

Just click and go, once you set up the jobs. I will do all the standard junk too, like changed files only and so on.

Reply to
WangoTango

Is Nero still popular and what about external hard drives or tape?

=-=- Duke and Gladys. Dumb and dumber

Reply to
Heisenberg

Nero express is the most reliable for burning and it is free

Reply to
David Eather

Hard disk. Use two, they're cheap.

Reply to
krw

Ransomware. APTs in disk firmware. Short lifetimes. Write-once media are a big win for backups.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs