OT: Does anybody "get" this?

????

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Rich Grise wrote: )

) ) ????

Hints: A large feline, a female magic user, and a place to put clothes. Oh, and the army's new recon-droid thingy, of course.

SaSW, Willem

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Willem

Modern version of "The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe", but I don't entirely get it.

John

If the girl in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe were a geek like every other character in the comic.

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Williams

Yep. I suspect the girl is Lucy and the voice is Edmund. In the film Edmund lies to Peter and Susan about they ever being in Narnia. In this cartoon Lucy has set up a laptop which is presumably recording the events (the device shown seems to have and antenna, microphone and camera) so she can show that Edmund was in fact lying.

Mark.

Reply to
markp

Or maybe she couldn't bear to be away from the Internet so installed WiFi in Narnia.

John

Nah, she's just being cautious, and sending in the ROV before she risks herself there. The device has a cord leading back to the laptop, so I'm not sure what the dish is supposed to be for (parabolic mic?)

Modernity and all.

Ecnerwal

I would agree if the device and the laptop were on the other sides of the wardrobe! ;)

Reply to
markp

Dunno, maybe it was just to represent a generic sensor, including it might seem RF activity!

Reply to
markp

Check the hover help. Didn't your books have hover help when you were a kid?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

In case the help doesn't do it for you, there's always:

Spehro Pefhany

Wow, if they hate the strip so much, why not just ignore it like sensible humans? I mean, okay, XKCD's philosophy and politics don't quite make it to half-baked, but he does have his moments, e.g.

.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Well, that's a relief. I saw a few minutes of some "Narnia" thing on TV and turned it off (actually, changed the channel), because it was essentially incomprehensible.

Oh, well.

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

"Hover help?" I was taught that those yellow popups are called "tooltips." :-)

"Moments later, the White Witch rolls up and, confused, tries to tempt the probe with a firmware upgrade."

Never having been to Narnia, it's still incomprehensile to me. :-)

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

DEWD!!!! Awesome!!!

Spehro, where do you find this stuff?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

The Chronicles of Narnia is someewhat allegorical to the Christian bible, Rich; C. S. Lewis was a devout -- albeit skeptical -- guy (...for awhile he was an atheist, and it was J. R. R. Tolkien of Lord of the Rings fame who turned him back on to Christianity). So you might find it interesting from that angle...

Reply to
Joel Koltner

n't

Edmund

toon

he

e can

ks

'm

re a

If they're so clever, how come their web page is broken?

d.com/273/.

t -

Reply to
Mensanator

With a "Stargate" twist.

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

You drank the Microsoft Kool-Aid. A tool tip is something metal that you throw away when it gets dull.

Cheers

Phil "WDNNS tooltips" Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

That's my take.

Panel #1: Hide and seek Panel #2: Opens wardrobe Panel #3: Surprised (note the !!! over her head) Panel #4: Thinks for a moment

Suppose you found a strange land in the back of the wardrobe. Would you just go through and explore (like the protagonist of a children's book) or prudently (from the title) send an autonomous probe in first (like an xkcd-reading geek)?

Reply to
Nobody