OT: Digitizing My LP Collection - Page 4

Re: OT: Digitizing My LP Collection
On a sunny day (Mon, 6 Jun 2011 18:49:37 +0000 (UTC)) it happened Warren

In case of a car you want to use a compander (reduce dynamic range),
as the noise is high, same for AM transmissions.
mp3 has a much higher dynamic range than you find i na car
or even a normal living room, or even a very silent studio.

FYI, there is a lot of bullshit about mp3, even on wikipedia I am sure.
Did you know that all digital broadcasting in Europe uses mp2 as format?
Only a few years ago some AC3 channels were added on satellite to support more
than 2 channels.
But there is now also a mp3 multi channel format.

I have done extensive tests with mp2 / mp3 encoding decoding,
and I can tell you that for most practical puposes mp2 and mp3 at a high
bitrate cannot be told apart from PCM.
There are a lot of audio fruitcakes around who need oxygen free cables
to remove that last piece of 'distortion'.
Best would be to expose those to an AB test.

Cellphones only, you sound alike that Always Wrong guy.

You have no clue what you are on about, that is evident now.

Probably made from tape and remastered digitally,
filtered, companded, expanded, echo added, stereo image changed..., what noyt,
whatever the sound technican felt like,
and he may have had a bad day and a cold.
:-)
You would not know.

Re: OT: Digitizing My LP Collection
Jan Panteltje expounded in

I don't need anything more than I said. I'm not fussy
in the car.

The existence of crap doesn't change the realities.

Were we talking about mp2? No doubt it compromises quality as
well.

My sympathies to them. Just because they use it doesn't mean
that you need to. You _do_ have a choice.

Increasing your bit-rate is still a _compromise_. What you
get back from it is worse than the original.

If OTOH you say "it's good enough for _me_", then I won't
argue with that. You've made your own call on quality, no
matter how unwise it might be.

This is superfluous to the MP3 discussion.

So rather than have an enlightened discussion, you reach
immediately for that ad hominem attack. How delightful.

..

More name calling and zero brain content.

And your MP3 version of that same track is better?!?

I'll leave you to your own fate.

Anyone who understands how MP3 works would not keep their
collection in that format when quality is important.

</thread>

Warren

Re: OT: Digitizing My LP Collection
On a sunny day (Tue, 7 Jun 2011 14:03:38 +0000 (UTC)) it happened Warren

I do not think so, I am a proven exception already :-)

You are proven wrong.

All you use is hearsay.
Maybe you even never encoded anything to mp3 at different bitrates and listened
to it.
You fail the numbers, just like A..W..
:-)

Re: OT: Digitizing My LP Collection
Jan Panteltje expounded in

You have proven that you have crap for ears. 8->

Warren

Re: OT: Digitizing My LP Collection
On a sunny day (Tue, 7 Jun 2011 14:58:04 +0000 (UTC)) it happened Warren

As usual it becomes insults when you cannot come up with numbers and experiments.
So bye

Re: OT: Digitizing My LP Collection
Jan Panteltje expounded in

Just pointing out that it doesn't take genius to hear the
difference. YMMV.

Warren

Re: OT: Digitizing My LP Collection

 Priceless.

Re: OT: Digitizing My LP Collection

  Let alone crap for brains for not knowing why it is a bad choice.

Re: OT: Digitizing My LP Collection
On Sun, 05 Jun 2011 08:58:54 GMT, Jan Panteltje

One GB???   Snno-o-ort.  The bulk of my digitized collection is over 200
GB expresses as FLAC.  Replicated in three places.  Plus a few hundred =
CDs
(masters).

Re: OT: Digitizing My LP Collection

I'd certainly see if the albums exist on CD. You do need to be careful
as once in a while double they drop a song on the CD version. This
happens say if the original was a double album and they put out only
one CD.

Usually USB audo is cleaner since it doesn't sit inside the PC.

Personally, I wouldn't equalize anything, but that is just me.
Audacity is a fine program, and takes very little effort to use. You
can consider using Audacity to remove the clicks and pops, but keep
the original file.

I've ripped my CDs to hard drive in FLAC format. It is lossless.
However, drives these days are cheap. You might just want to leave the
audio in PCM.

I make it a point to keep the originals should there ever been an
issue I downloaded the music elsewhere. I'd certainly keep the album
jackets.

I think the real question here is not the ADC, but rather the front
end gear (cartridge, preamp, turntable). I'm not sure what they use
for album cleaning these days. Remember the discwasher? Also the anti-
static devices (zerostat, or that brush with the polonium to ionize
the air).

I don't miss the LP in the least.

Re: OT: Digitizing My LP Collection

46%rom my own battles, i am working my way through about 300 LPs worth.

As always, good sound always starts at the beginning, the turntable,
cartridge and stylus.  Clean the records thoroughly before digitizing.  I
let my LPs rest for a day or more between attempts.  Since you have a
calendar budget, schedule about twice the time you think you need.

Use a good phono pre-amp straight to the digitizer (card or external); =
and
leave some headroom for envelope peaks.  24-bit is not very expensive and
allows more headroom while maintaining good linearity and SINAD.  For
final formal listening, SACD is quite enough (even 16-bit wav/CDDA is =
fine
for most people most of the time), and for general listening high bit =
rate
MP3/ogg ain't too bad and is usefully smaller files.

Audacity is very nice.   If you have the $$$$, DiamondCut is both more
powerful or easier to use (though not at the same time).

Site Timeline